1 2 3 ... 5
Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/17 8:40 p.m.

So, I've decided to keep the Abomination. For this year, it's getting a set of tires, lots of hard runs and planning for the next level.

That means shedding some weight, gaining some HP, and gaining some tire.

The weight and the tires are pretty straight forward. 10" wide wheels, massaging the fenders, and some fiberglass, should work for that.

Engine is the next question. To be competitive in E-modified, it needs 300+ hp. One way to do that would be a turbo rotary. The car is already set up for a rotary so that would be the easy button. But, rotaries are getting pretty pricy and that whole "boost in, apex seals out" thing. So I'm looking at other options.

What's out there. Typing turbo engine on Ebay brings up all kinds of interesting stuff. They have identifiers like RB25DET, SR20DET, 3SGE, 2JZGTE...

I don't speak Japanese engines very well. So, where do I start?

Toyman01
2/22/17 8:43 p.m.

Also, it needs to fit here.

There is no extra width to play with. The pedal box is already very narrow.

NoPermitNeeded
NoPermitNeeded Reader
2/22/17 8:44 p.m.

If you aren't looking for pricey, you can prolly get a toyota 22re and a big turbo. Someone on here told me they like boost... easy 300hp.

As much as I would love to see it. I'd say you can prolly rule out just about any of the JDM 6-cyl engines due to the space (or lack thereof) that you have. just my $.02

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/22/17 8:45 p.m.

Rb and sr are nissan stuff. Rb's are straight 6 and sr20 are fours. Jz's are toyota straight sixes. Ninja edit: i think you're looking at a 4 cylinder of some sort with that engine bay

NoPermitNeeded
NoPermitNeeded Reader
2/22/17 8:49 p.m.

Boosted single cam honda? d15 or other such engine.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/22/17 8:50 p.m.

Not sure if a 3SGTE would fit in there. I could measure one for you. Just happen to have a spare on an engine stand.

Toyman01
2/22/17 9:04 p.m.

I have about 19" in the width, about 22" in length before I run into the steering rack. I could probably fudge the length back some and pick up another inch or so, depending on shifter location.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
2/22/17 9:12 p.m.

Turbo Hyabusa motor?

By the way - I'm really glad you are keeping this despite having no vested interest in any outcomes whatsoever. It's far too cool to sell for what it's worth to "those people"

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/17 9:14 p.m.

Ford 2.3L Lima turbo? The T3 versions make 300HP with an intercooler, boost valve, exhaust upgrade, and some tuning. Heavy sucker though.

Toyman01
2/22/17 9:22 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Not sure if a 3SGTE would fit in there. I could measure one for you. Just happen to have a spare on an engine stand.

A measurement would be appreciated. Those are pretty reasonably priced, is there a RWD transmission for them?

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/22/17 9:26 p.m.

Ecotec

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/22/17 9:29 p.m.

A boosted rotary can be fairly reliable if it is tuned properly. They're not all time bombs. Another high HP rotary solution is a peripheral port, though that might be a better solution for road/drag racing vs. autocross.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/22/17 9:32 p.m.

Yes, there are RWD 3S-GTE transmission options. Toyota didn't sell the 3S-GTE turbo in a longitudinal RWD, but they did sell various normally aspirated 3S-GEs, so the Toyota parts bin can help you out with a W58 five-speed or a J160 six-speed!

Both of these transmissions were offered behind several families of engines, so the right bellhousing is needed. I can go into more detail if needed.

I also have a spare J160 six-speed out of a JDM Toyota Altezza with a 3S bellhousing. I can take specific measurements if needed. It may also be for sale. I'm located in Oregon, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/22/17 9:58 p.m.

Honda motors (mostly) spin backwards, so they are probably out.

That is a small engine bay.

Sr20 (Nissan JDM 240sx) is aluminum head and block, so it is pretty light. 300 HP is sorta easy, but needs support mods for some things. Bigger turbo and injectors for sure.

3sgte (toyota mr2 turbo gen2) also will probably need supporting mods to hit 300. Turbo, injectors, etc. Never struck me as a particularly small motor.

I'd guess you want something a bit more modern than both of those (30 year old) motors. Maybe Ecotec? There are factory turbo versions that should make 300 easy. (I'm thinking cobalt SS).

Then again, there's always mitsubishi 4g63...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/17 10:07 p.m.

didn't that car also get a 6 in the shape of the Triumph GT6? I also think Ecoboost might be the ticket. If you wanted to go Honda.. K series engine spin the "right way" and come longitudinal thinks to the S2000

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/22/17 10:44 p.m.

The audi 4.2 v8 is 21" long and 30" wide fully dressed....just throwing that out there.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
2/22/17 10:46 p.m.

Turbo, bike power

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
2/22/17 10:53 p.m.

Isn't the VR-6 also tiny, and force inducted in the Corrodo? Acme adapter to a Toyota or Suzuki trans for RWD.

Otherwise, and only because it is the Abomination, how many Harley v-twins could you get in the front of that if you didn't need a radiator? Instead of the primary drive going to the transmission you could hook them all to a common lay shaft and then into your current transmission.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
2/22/17 10:54 p.m.
classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
2/22/17 11:22 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Ford 2.3L Lima turbo? The T3 versions make 300HP with an intercooler, boost valve, exhaust upgrade, and some tuning. Heavy sucker though.

This is what I'm working on. I happen to know the block is about 14" wide, and I believe the whole thing (back of head to water pump is what I wrote down as having measured) is about 24.5" long. Cast Iron head and block will not help shave weight, though. The stock bottom end is supposed to be good to ~400HP though, and you can usually find complete engine for under $500

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/17 11:24 p.m.

what about the fiat twin cam? They could be had stock (in Europe) turbo and supercharged. The engines themselves are pretty cheap and compact (except for height)

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo HalfDork
2/23/17 3:06 a.m.
classicJackets wrote:
Javelin wrote: Ford 2.3L Lima turbo? The T3 versions make 300HP with an intercooler, boost valve, exhaust upgrade, and some tuning. Heavy sucker though.
This is what I'm working on. I happen to know the block is about 14" wide, and I believe the whole thing (back of head to water pump is what I wrote down as having measured) is about 24.5" long. Cast Iron head and block will not help shave weight, though. The stock bottom end is supposed to be good to ~400HP though, and you can usually find complete engine for under $500

i think (well, i know, for a fact) that it takes a bit more than 'tuning' for 300hp in those. i have three turbocoupes, and at one point had one in the 12's, full weight (3250). the little stuff kills you on these. plus the weight issue. cost is kind of sketchy too, cause once you get into engine management, custom manifolds, cam grinds etc, most everything for these engines is hand made, or ebay chinese garbage. its a tough line to walk.

you can use a b234 head from volvo on these engines, its DOHC and aluminum, but that swap is easily $1700-2000 from running OHC motor to running DOHC motor. again, custom manifolds, cam grinds, head work, etc etc.

the plus side is, the engine itself is bullet proof. 400HP is neither easy OR cheap, but the motor will take it in stride if you keep the timing in check and don't ping it. even then, .030 over and piston/ring/rod set is under $400, and your back in business with ROOM for another 75HP.

i can say this, too: theres nothing better for a ford guy like me to smoke a 350 Camaro with my 4cyl tractor engine from the 60's...

-J0N

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/23/17 5:38 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

I've got nothing (though I think you will be sticking with rotary), but I'm really glad you are keeping the Abomimination going! Mike would be proud.

STM317
STM317 Dork
2/23/17 6:32 a.m.

A Ford Duratec/Ecoboost 2.0 or 2.3 or Mazda MZR/DISI should bolt to either an NC Miata trans, or Ford Ranger for RWD setups. They're modern, DOHC, and all aluminum to keep weight down. The naturally aspirated versions (Duratec/MZR) would need boost to hit your HP target without spending major bucks dollars. The factory boosted options (EcoBoost/DISI) should be able to get beyond your goal pretty easily, but will command a premium up front.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
2/23/17 7:05 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: K series engine spin the "right way" and come longitudinal thinks to the S2000

I thought the S2000 used F engines. K20/24 does spin the right way though, as seen in Miata and S2000 swaps.

Ignoring any budgets I'd vote K24 with a supercharger. I doubt any possible cheapness there though.

I believe parts exist to make a cheapo SRT-4 setup with a PT cruiser engine, a Jeep bell housing and a Solstice or Colorado transmission.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zaNqxcq2QE085x9GT0q4kWG6xyW9j9zSI7C6wEAnnNvuXNQvKAjaRv2n2Zsee7Qk