Presented by Nine Lives Racing
1 2
The_Modern_Devil_Z
The_Modern_Devil_Z None
12/25/13 8:01 p.m.

After doing thorough searching on here and several other sites. I have finally decided on a good spoiler design for my daily driven 350Z, but I cannot find anyone who is mounting a spoiler cleanly and at a show quality level. I could really use some help from of the veterans on here.

grafmiata
grafmiata SuperDork
12/25/13 8:15 p.m.

[/URL]

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/25/13 8:39 p.m.
The_Modern_Devil_Z wrote: I have finally decided on a good spoiler design for my daily driven 350Z, but I cannot find anyone who is mounting a spoiler cleanly and at a show quality level.

Post some pictures of the spoiler...

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/25/13 8:40 p.m.

I dont think canoe... But some more idea as to what youre after would benefit all.

The_Modern_Devil_Z
The_Modern_Devil_Z New Reader
12/25/13 8:45 p.m.

I'm using a tablet so I'm somewhat restricted on what I can post until I figure everything out, but here's a link to a similar spoiler to what I am designing I will have my design tomorrow or friday at the latest. http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=400448

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/25/13 10:19 p.m.

Guys, I think he means this one

Devil_Z, you need to tell us what the intended purpose is. You've said that the car is daily driven. I would assume that it's also used for some motorsports-related activity.

At the low speeds of autocross, you need a HUGE wing to have an appreciable effect. At higher speed things like track days, smaller wings can actually affect the handling.

The_Modern_Devil_Z
12/26/13 12:07 a.m.

The intended purpose is to increase downforce for autocross without having a rigged up mess, the wing will be huge 10" tall and 67" wide. Also if it helps the car has an open diff currently so I need the downforce and my average speeds are 45-50mph throught the courses.

The_Modern_Devil_Z
12/26/13 12:08 a.m.

Also the car doesn't see any road course use as the nearest road course is a four drive and the car sees a lot of interstate miles.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/26/13 12:21 a.m.

So am I correct that you want something large enough to be useful for autocross, and that you don't care about the drag/fuel costs during your daiy commute?

The_Modern_Devil_Z
12/26/13 12:26 a.m.

Yea pretty much that's why I want adjustability to minimize fuel consumption but if I have to sacrifice oh well.

phaze1todd
phaze1todd HalfDork
12/26/13 1:50 a.m.

Used to be a guy at Giant's Despair with a later model 'Vette with a tow hitch.

He would tow his tires and tools on a trailer to the event. When he got to the event, he'd unhook the trailer and had frame with an aluminum wing he bolted to the pintle.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/13 5:49 a.m.

It would be easy to make a removable wing...

Here's some more inspiration.

You could do something like this and use turnbuckles instead of CNC'd pieces to make it adjustable. You could have hook points for the spoiler at the front edge and then make the turnbuckles detachable from the back of the car so the whole thing can come off.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
12/26/13 6:40 a.m.

Rivnuts in the vertical surface of the decklid would allow easy installation and removal of a large spoiler.

I would not want to see highway fuel economy with one of those things installed.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/13 7:26 a.m.

Do you need tai lights to autocross? I think if you made plates to bolt in place of the tail lights you could have something removable that would leave any visible holes when it's not in use.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/13 7:59 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: It would be easy to make a removable wing... Here's some more inspiration. You could do something like this and use turnbuckles instead of CNC'd pieces to make it adjustable. You could have hook points for the spoiler at the front edge and then make the turnbuckles detachable from the back of the car so the whole thing can come off.

That is brilliant. If he went out and bought a stock ebay spoiler from an 350z, he could hack it full of holes for mounting and never have to worry about resale value later, he could just swap the untouched stock wing back on.

my big question is.. why aero for autocross? the 350z is already porky to begin with and the slow speeds of cone crushing are more dependent on mechanical grip than Aero, especially if you consider that you slow considerably to turn as the corners are generally quite tight

mrybczyn
mrybczyn New Reader
12/26/13 8:40 a.m.

Remove all the body panels, sawsall the trunk off, gut the interior, dump the hydraulics and AC, remove all the electrics and electronics, remove all the seats, remove all the glass and windshield.

That should get you to Miata weight, and FTD shall be yours. aerodynamics might or might not get better :)

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/26/13 9:28 a.m.
mrybczyn wrote: Remove all the body panels, sawsall the trunk off, gut the interior, dump the hydraulics and AC, remove all the electrics and electronics, remove all the seats, remove all the glass and windshield. That should get you to Miata weight, and FTD shall be yours. aerodynamics might or might not get better :)

thanks. that was really helpful.

The_Modern_Devil_Z
12/26/13 11:15 a.m.

Thanks guys all the input is helpful today I am going to start experimenting and testing ideas using cardboard mock ups. As far autocross speed and the porkyness of a Z my airbags are deleted as well as the abs and all sound deadening so its a little lighter than stock, but the autocross events in my area tend to be higher speed than some I have seen elsewhere due to using very large open lots on hills, as I live in East Tennessee

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
12/26/13 11:40 a.m.

I wouldn't call this show quality, but clean enough for a track car. I used half of a $75 sheet of plexi and $20 of hardware. Could be done cleaner by someone with more patience probably. Seems to be effective.

The_Modern_Devil_Z
12/26/13 12:04 p.m.

Of course I cannot see your pictures Cone_Junkie do you have them posted elsewhere?

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
12/26/13 12:12 p.m.

Bummer. They're hosted on Photobucket, usually not a problem.

Here's a link to a track shot, so not much detail- http://lateapexphoto.com/p441952458/h6fe6ddb7#h6fe6ddb7

The_Modern_Devil_Z
12/26/13 12:17 p.m.

Its help though. I will try to get access to a computer so Ivan see the other images. I never thought of mounting the adjustment rods on the decklid, I was going to mount mine beneath the spoiler possibly on the bumper.

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
12/26/13 5:23 p.m.

At the speeds of an autocross, a spoiler has very little if any effect. A big enough one would probably slow your time due to drag. think barn door.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/13 5:46 p.m.

I'd be really surprised if downforce made him slower, huge spoilers and other massive downforce devices are standard equipment in the quicker classes...

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/26/13 5:54 p.m.
iceracer wrote: At the speeds of an autocross, a spoiler has very little if any effect. A big enough one would probably slow your time due to drag. think barn door.

Tell that to the BMOD guys.

Aerodynamics are effective at nearly any speed with enough surface area.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IJdiwfIsoV1TsDkBZOHJJxeJ3c0yd4J2eAAxE893wKaHLlLPWOtPN0luGleI4GHR