Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
12/8/17 5:14 p.m.

I know the 6g72 isnt the greatest and the engine bay SUCKS with that massive engine. Would it be worth picking up a blown out vr4 and LS swapping? What’s the chassis like on these? 

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
12/8/17 5:45 p.m.

Sounds like a really hard way to get a Z32. There's a better way to simplify a 3000GT

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/8/17 5:49 p.m.

3000GTs have a transverse engine so you would be in for a ridiculous amount of work. The suspension isn’t that great anyway. As noted above you would be way ahead starting with any RWD car.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
12/8/17 6:53 p.m.

The two comments above are on point.  People really interested in 3000gt performance swap in a 4g63.  The 6g72 is a phenomenal motor, but a limited aftermarket and the packaging of the 3000gt have given it a bed reputation.  Without AWD or a Mitsubishi motor, I see very little value in a 3000gt (This is coming from a DSM guy).  

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
12/8/17 8:30 p.m.

My Dad had one of these, bought it in 94, basically brand new.  I was appalled.  I told him that of the three cars he was considering, Mk4 Supra Turbo, FD RX7 Turbo and the VR4, he picked the worse one, by far!  I hated the way it drove, its a huge car with very little space in it and it weighs a ton!  Handling is meh, feedback is non existent and power is average. 

The market thinks so too, look at how it compares value wise to the Mk4 Supra Turbo and the FD....

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
12/8/17 8:46 p.m.

I second the Z32.  Looks better than a 3000GT and it’s already RWD.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/8/17 9:07 p.m.

I'd rather start with a biturbo 

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
12/8/17 9:09 p.m.

I got an idea, lets put a VG30DETT in a BiTurbo and change...not much...

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/8/17 9:42 p.m.

You know there is a RWD transmission that bolts to that block, right?  

I don’t think it’s worth the effort to convert that Chassis to RWD.  The ENGINE however, could be fun for the Challenge, Sandrail, LeMons, etc. because aftermarket isn’t needed past MegaSquirt, bigger turbos and injectors all of which are pretty generic pieces.  Intercooler, piping, etc. all would have to be fabbed.

of course the next step is realizing that the 6G was available up to 3.8L in their SUVs and with variable valve timing on the later Eclipse.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
12/8/17 11:46 p.m.

3000GT suspension/chassis isn't worth swapping INTO.  3000GT motor is definitely worth swapping OUT into something else. Saying this as technically a 3000gt owner. 

I kinda think 4g63 swaps into 3000GTs are funny. It's sort of admitting defeat and proclaiming overdog status at the same time. 

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/9/17 1:50 a.m.

I think the problem with swapping the V6 into something RWD is that the intake manifold plenum isn't really shaped right for longitudinal mounting.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/9/17 2:30 a.m.

In reply to codrus :

The mitsu diamonte intake manifold is used for rwd setups. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/9/17 2:32 a.m.

In reply to Stefan :

The Kia Sorento 6 speed manual bolts up from what I hear. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
12/9/17 7:18 a.m.

So a ton of work, re-engineering the whole car, ending up with worse performance than factory.  Sounds like a GRM project alright.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/9/17 7:28 a.m.
Trackmouse said:

I know the 6g72 isnt the greatest and the engine bay SUCKS with that massive engine. Would it be worth picking up a blown out vr4 and LS swapping? What’s the chassis like on these? 

You're better off with a C5 and chopping the top to get rid of all that extraneous Corvette headroom.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/9/17 7:31 a.m.
docwyte said:

My Dad had one of these, bought it in 94, basically brand new.  I was appalled.  I told him that of the three cars he was considering, Mk4 Supra Turbo, FD RX7 Turbo and the VR4, he picked the worse one, by far!  I hated the way it drove, its a huge car with very little space in it and it weighs a ton!  Handling is meh, feedback is non existent and power is average.

You made me realize I just bought a four door 3000GT.

Don't care, got boosted AWD

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
12/9/17 10:18 p.m.

So y'all know i'm weird. The actual closest thing mechanically to a 4dr 3kgt is an AWD Diamante (/Magna) that was never sold here. But i would love one. I keep my dad's 275k Diamante chugging along because i like the thing so much. I'm even planning to go through a spare engine (that it still doesnt really need at 275k) from a parts car we bought and open up the ring gaps in case i ever do 'inherit' it when he buys something else. There is a k-car guy who swapped the stock Diamante 3.5 into a dodge shadow, added turbo, and went 11s @ 122mph in the 1/4. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/9/17 11:09 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

It looks like there was a diamante wagon.... If anyone can make a twin turbo AWD diamante wagon and bring it to the challenge, it's you!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E9X9hWiQdvO2DnqATjZAGtdZx2qqvgdrnj3EK8Vjdzao4lSD85kwPIwXz75qbYiV