LordTurbonia
LordTurbonia New Reader
4/6/11 4:02 p.m.

The "odd rally car" thread got me thinking . . . and of course I went "ooh, shiny" and soon forgot the Turbo 2 RX7 I had my eye on (a good thing as the apex seals were toast!) when I saw the C3 Corvette in rally livery.

Now, I don't have C3 Corvette money for tearing ass around fields and trying to someday get licensed up for a Group 5 run, but I do live in the Mississippi delta, and rusted out assbox Camaros and Firebirds can be had for the trouble of hauling them off.

Any of you guys with dirt track experience know what the hot setup is for these? I'm not putting more than Challenge money into something that is by definition going to hit a tree, but Vortec+dirt tires sounds like a recipe for kickass.

Bench Racer (BowtieBandit)
Bench Racer (BowtieBandit) Reader
4/6/11 9:29 p.m.

If its a rusted out ass box, I wouldn't feel comfrotable going into something that I knew by definition I was going to hit a tree, and that's comming from a 3rd gen fanatic.

Cars and trees do not mix, that's why God gave us Volvos.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
4/6/11 10:02 p.m.

Must be painted in THIS livery.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
4/6/11 10:05 p.m.

I think a G-body would be a better choice.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
4/6/11 10:21 p.m.

Actually, you could probably find a OBD I fourth generation f-body for not much more money. 3.8 & 5.7 cars should be plenty stout.

novaderrik
novaderrik HalfDork
4/7/11 5:17 a.m.
Maroon92 wrote: Must be painted in THIS livery.

i know it's a minor detail, but that's a 4th gen Camaro..

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
4/7/11 6:39 a.m.

Stress 7 canoe time

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
4/7/11 6:43 a.m.

3rd gen Camaro/Firebird can be surprisingly well behaved with few changes. I would think they would be a stout if not small rally beast.

Rust if not in the area of suspension mounts shouldn't be a big issue as you will require a full cage. Just weld it all up.

Depends on budget but it is going to cost a lot less to find a car already built for competition then improve to your goals.

Ha try and search for "Rally Camaro" and see how many hits you get....lol shame none of them relate to rally cars

cghstang
cghstang HalfDork
4/7/11 7:02 a.m.

I'll just leave this here... Jim Morris Rally Camaro

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/7/11 11:13 a.m.

Not sure how you would combat the super-flimsy body. Sounds like full cage, which sounds heavy.

LordTurbonia
LordTurbonia New Reader
4/7/11 12:30 p.m.
cghstang wrote: I'll just leave this here...

This. Exactly this.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
4/7/11 12:30 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: Not sure how you would combat the super-flimsy body. Sounds like full cage, which sounds heavy.

Full FIA cage is necessary for competition in Rally America. I don't know NASA rallysport rules though.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
4/7/11 8:17 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: Not sure how you would combat the super-flimsy body. Sounds like full cage, which sounds heavy.

Uhh...

I have several second gen cars.

The 3rd gen is MUCH improved.

It may not be fantastic but it's FAR better than the earlier options.

The redneck wetdream picture above looks like fun.

Shawn

Cole_Trickle
Cole_Trickle New Reader
4/7/11 8:22 p.m.

I never was in a rally with my 3rd gen Firebird, but being 16 at the time, it saw its share of off road stuff. Took it like a champ. It was very easy to toss around dirt/gravel roads, took some decent jumps and even thick mud. If one was prepped for rally, then it might be really fun.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U7lagHzHeD0AWteytR4Q32pRVn3s5eLBfrkNie0p0n6p1nUTq6exb2hRb2XvPwGJ