1 2 3
lrrs
lrrs New Reader
1/28/14 6:38 p.m.

Lets say you need a normally aspirated 4 cylinder engine and trans for a project, what would you pick and why? Constraints: Bullet proof (probably going to source used), readily available, cheap, and its trans needs to be just as tough.

Edit: I should have also stated transverse mount. Thanks for the Toyota 22R suggestion anyway.

Doing research for a project. I picked up a Kelmark GT on a 73 bug frame, I want to go mid engine and I am thinking of having a chassis built, with a modern 4 banger, disk brakes, AC?, and other modern features. I would like something in the 130-200 HP range. Fun, but unbreakable and easy to work on if necessary, I plan on driving it a lot.

Still in the research mode, the 818 chassis might be the way to go, wheel base is 1/2 inch difference, but it solves a lot of the questions right out of the gate, as long as the Kelmark body will fit over everything and FF would be willing to sell a kit sans the body.

Thanks,

Steve

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/28/14 6:39 p.m.

toyota 22r/re

Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
1/28/14 6:46 p.m.

Early 2000's 1.8 VW Turbo Jetta or Golf.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/28/14 6:51 p.m.

3.0L Buick. They are a dime a dozen, they are still being made for marine use, parts are everywhere and cheap, and they take a TON of abuse.

And, it uses a regular Chevy bolt pattern, so nearly any manual or dozens of automatics will work with off-the shelf parts.

Edit: You said modern. Nevermind Although I believe there are EFI applications in the marine version.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/28/14 6:52 p.m.

The Kelmark body isn't exactly tall, is it? Might be better off using a Soobie engine and trans like the 818.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/28/14 6:53 p.m.

Toyota 3SGE or 3SGTE? A wrecked 2nd gen MR2 could maybe be a single donor.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
1/28/14 6:54 p.m.

In reply to mblommel:

Even better, 2ZZ.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
1/28/14 6:55 p.m.

Mazda F2t if you really want to have fun, Early SE-R SR20 drive train would kick some ass, Honda k20 probably the easiest swap of them all though.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady New Reader
1/28/14 7:01 p.m.
JtspellS wrote: Mazda F2t if you really want to have fun, Early SE-R SR20 drive train would kick some ass, Honda k20 probably the easiest swap of them all though.

+1 SR20. Or KA+booooost, talk about cheap.

curtis73
1/28/14 7:05 p.m.

You could go Quad4, but that doesn't really jive with the "bulletproof" vibe. They like to crack heads.

Ford Duratec? 2.3L and 175 HP.

I always liked the Mazda FE DOHC. Always seemed really Torquey in the 90's Mazdas

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/28/14 7:10 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: You could go Quad4, but that doesn't really jive with the "bulletproof" vibe. They like to crack heads. Ford Duratec? 2.3L and 175 HP. I always liked the Mazda FE DOHC. Always seemed really Torquey in the 90's Mazdas

We never got the FE DOHC in Mazdas here.

I vote BP.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
1/28/14 7:14 p.m.

SR20 or BP...if only because I am on the hunt for a car powered by one of those 2.

curtis73
1/28/14 7:19 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
curtis73 wrote: You could go Quad4, but that doesn't really jive with the "bulletproof" vibe. They like to crack heads. Ford Duratec? 2.3L and 175 HP. I always liked the Mazda FE DOHC. Always seemed really Torquey in the 90's Mazdas
We never got the FE DOHC in Mazdas here.

Oh... well whatever the F-engine was in the 90s Mazdas.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/28/14 7:27 p.m.

There was the FS-DE in the base mx6/626 and later the Protege I guess. Kindof a terrible motor though.

F2/F2T is awesome, but sohc, heavy, and probably not worth considering in an n/a form for OP's requirements.

curtis73
1/28/14 7:28 p.m.

SR20 is slick. What about a German engine for a German car? A 2.3 M111 out of a Merc might do nicely.

How about the Porsche I-4s? They any good?

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
1/28/14 7:30 p.m.

Ecotec. Good power, good reliability, availability, and lots of aftermarket.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
1/28/14 7:32 p.m.

The Honda B series (at least I think that's what it is called, the Integra DOHC motor) is reasonably plentiful, reliable, lots of aftermarket support and makes good horsepower.

Burrito Enthusiast
Burrito Enthusiast Reader
1/28/14 7:34 p.m.

OBD1 VW ABA. Forged internals and oil squirters stock. Add MS and 20-odd some pounds of boost. Rock it until the headgasket goes, then add a MLS gasket and some ARP hardware.

Rinse and repeat.

Oh, sorry. I thought this was the "What is Erick going to do to his Scirocco thread".

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
1/28/14 7:40 p.m.

Honda K24

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/14 7:46 p.m.

2ZZ & K24 are good choices. 3SGE and 4AGE are good too, they're simpler but getting outdated now if performance is important.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady New Reader
1/28/14 7:47 p.m.

Actually, 4agze or 4age+booooost. Already set up for mid-engine.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
1/28/14 8:03 p.m.

I recently went through this exercise with some friends. We came up with three options:
- Honda B20 Vtec
- Nissan SR20DE
- Subaru 2.2 or 2.5 with trans converted to "FWD"

They're all light, all-aluminum assemblies, make pretty good power and are readily available. Plus, they all came with manual transmissions and LSD units are available.

Subaru doesn't quite fit your requirements (not transverse) but would work in the layout you have in mind.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
1/28/14 8:15 p.m.
JohnyHachi6 wrote: I recently went through this exercise with some friends. We came up with three options: - Honda B20 Vtec - Nissan SR20DE - Subaru 2.2 or 2.5 with trans converted to "FWD" They're all light, all-aluminum assemblies, make pretty good power and are readily available. Plus, they all came with manual transmissions and LSD units are available. Subaru doesn't quite fit your requirements (not transverse) but would work in the layout you have in mind.

In the early legacy days there were the 2.2's in just FWD form FYI.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
1/28/14 8:23 p.m.

Sr20ve. $850.00 on ebay all day long. My last one with a 150.00 header and a cold air intake made 197hp at the wheels. Bolts up to a fwd sr20 transmission. Runs off the harness and a chipped ECU is only $100.00.

lrrs
lrrs New Reader
1/28/14 8:30 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: The Kelmark body isn't exactly tall, is it? Might be better off using a Soobie engine and trans like the 818.

Nope not tall at all. If necessary, I could scoop it, although that would block the about 8" tall back window.

Keep'em coming, looks like I have a lot to research, which should keep me from looking at other projects to buy.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uyXv6fdkq3SMsp0wExiCSl1CPtRBDEqJG7rX1xyOk8xXxTmPGl4GoE4wZaawf9UK