1 2 3
irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/28/14 9:37 p.m.

I'll throw in BMW M42. Cheap to find (since most M42 cars get swapped to sixes), timing chain, G240 tranny is pretty strong/reliable, parts and components are pretty cheap, revs nicely, and makes reasonable power for a 1.8L. And again, cheap to find. Only real flaw with the engine is the original timing chain guide, which by now most of have been replaced with the updated one.

For reference: I have two M42s+G240 transmissions. First one was bought for $250 (with tranny) and has run 2 rallycross seasons with a conforti chip, spending much of its life at 7000 rpms.

Second one was bought for $300is (with tranny) and when I tore it down completely, internals were in great shape and it will be going into my e21 project.

They're not sexy, they're not terribly smooth, but they're a good grassroots engine with good availability for cheap.

bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
1/28/14 9:42 p.m.

Duratec

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
1/28/14 9:59 p.m.

Whats common in the junkyard? Neon, Focus, Cobalt, Celica, Civic, Sentra...OOOh- There is a Spec V Sentra on insurance auction here closing tomorrow- 2.5, 6 speed, LSD

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
1/28/14 10:40 p.m.

If you have the room for your hp requirements it would be almost impossible to beat a gm 3800 v6 for cost and reliability. And with Fiero swaps around the hard work for mid engine is already done too.

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
1/29/14 1:19 a.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: In reply to mblommel: Even better, 2ZZ.

Win.

This with supercharger or turbo is an amazing combination. So much flow.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/29/14 8:21 a.m.

I feel like at least half the answers are a direct result of ignoring the OP's specifications:

Transverse mount
N/A

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
1/29/14 8:40 a.m.

Honda B-series. With the K-series being the new hot thing, b-series have become the back burner engine. cheap, reliable, parts are cheap and plentiful, trans can be had with an LSD, simple to work on, lots of crossover parts from different varients.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
1/29/14 8:50 a.m.

Mazda BP or 4AGE. Both have been suggested, and for good reason.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
1/29/14 9:00 a.m.
lrrs wrote:
BoxheadTim wrote: The Kelmark body isn't exactly tall, is it? Might be better off using a Soobie engine and trans like the 818.
Nope not tall at all. If necessary, I could scoop it, although that would block the about 8" tall back window. Keep'em coming, looks like I have a lot to research, which should keep me from looking at other projects to buy.

Just how tall is it? IIRC the Kelmark was based on the Dino, itself a V6 mid engine car so maybe a 4 banger with some angle to its mounting won't be so difficult to get under there. FWIW, the VW 8 valve engines (ABA? not good with engine alphabet soup) are probably the shortest/lowest ones out there.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
1/29/14 9:07 a.m.

I only drove it in what it was supposed to be in, but the ZX2 had the Zetec in it that was a pretty sweet engine.

beans
beans Dork
1/29/14 9:57 a.m.

Honda F22A's. 200hp isn't much more than a $100 cam, $500 tune/ECU, and bolt ons. They're from Accords, so they're EVERYWHERE. Prelude H-series transmissions bolt right on for shorter gears.

wspohn
wspohn Reader
1/29/14 11:53 a.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: Ecotec. Good power, good reliability, availability, and lots of aftermarket.

Agree. Get the whole lump out of something like an Ion or Cobalt and use the transaxle, engine, everything. Choose how much power you want from about 120 - 290 bhp depending on which model you source. If the rear window of the car is to be filled with engine, the LSJ with supercharger looks pretty cool.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
1/29/14 12:18 p.m.

The Sentra Spec V I mentioned above is down to a $100 minimum bid...2.5 liters of Japanese goodness...6 speed with helical lsd...

lrrs
lrrs New Reader
1/31/14 5:31 p.m.
Just how tall is it? IIRC the Kelmark was based on the Dino, itself a V6 mid engine car so maybe a 4 banger with some angle to its mounting won't be so difficult to get under there. FWIW, the VW 8 valve engines (ABA? not good with engine alphabet soup) are probably the shortest/lowest ones out there.

Good question, I would measure now, but the car is in one of those portable shelters with snow around it. Might get out there tomorrow to visit with it and measure. I think when I measured it before, the roof was 44" from the ground, the rear deck like is, I am guessing, 10 inches lower.

I like the Toyota 2ZZ cause it has a timing chain and aluminum block, but I am a cheap _ _ _ K, and would rather not spend the extra $ on premium fuel, and spend it on things that dont burn and flow out the tail pipe.But hey, its only US dollars and they will be worthless soon. I had not thought of the Colbalt engines so I need to do some looking at them too. I have a DOHC neon ACR, while the engine has been bullet, proof for me anyway, I an not extactic about its packaging or cast Iron block, closing in at 230K miles. Thanks again and still keep them coming, STeve

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
1/31/14 5:59 p.m.

Did I mention that the b-series Hondas are aluminum blocks?

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
1/31/14 7:31 p.m.

How strong are available 4G63 transmissions?

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
2/1/14 6:20 a.m.

The lightest, cheapest, most bullet proof 130 hp I know of is a Honda zc. Significantly cheaper and lighter than a bseries.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
2/1/14 8:06 a.m.

SBF in the middle of a Kelmark. I'm thinking a transverse 4 banger will be an easy swap.

The SC Ecotec is a great motor, its only drawback is the placement of the throttle body.

The turbo version found in SAABs would be a much simpler swap, plumbing wise, and make good power. Can't find a decent pic to link, dammit.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
2/1/14 8:16 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
curtis73 wrote: You could go Quad4, but that doesn't really jive with the "bulletproof" vibe. They like to crack heads. Ford Duratec? 2.3L and 175 HP. I always liked the Mazda FE DOHC. Always seemed really Torquey in the 90's Mazdas
We never got the FE DOHC in Mazdas here. I vote BP.

X Eleventy. In-goddamned-destructable.

92dxman
92dxman HalfDork
2/1/14 8:47 a.m.

Ecotec, Duratec, Zetec, D or B series or KA motor would get my vote.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
2/1/14 9:51 a.m.

Honda B16

beans
beans Dork
2/1/14 2:54 p.m.

I hate B-series engines. Expensive, weak, poor flowing garbage.

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
2/2/14 6:15 a.m.
92dxman wrote: Ecotec, Duratec, Zetec, D or B series or KA motor would get my vote.

That's where I was going to go with my post, specifically the SVT Focus and (depending on space constraints which sounds like it might be an issue) SRT 4 setup.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
2/2/14 7:55 a.m.

The price disparity between Honda b series and zc motors is negligible these days. B series gets my vote.

carbon
carbon HalfDork
2/2/14 9:02 a.m.

Another vote for 2zzge. + I've got one for sale. I sourced it for my spyder project, but it's been years and I still havent gotten around to it. I was told it had 11k on it when I got it but I have no way to substantiate that claim. It's been on a stand in my clean dry garage for almost ten years, turned over periodically and it's ready to go if you want it. I havent been advertising it because I dont really need to sell it but I would if you want it. $2 firm. Pm me if you want it.

P.S. the c60 six speed is in my spyder, so you'll need a transmission.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6HtB4KUJyscDw6UtfHAtya3WyQcWwogtJ7p2EBcpvaSphI4tAJBG5zOIeNaaCORv