GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/14 7:46 a.m.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/10/volvo-goes-death-metal-triple-turbo-two-liter-four/

New HP-per-liter record contender, and first successful application of a fully electric turbo. It spools up the two bigger turbos.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/14/14 8:55 a.m.

I saw this and was thinking how fantastic it will be when adapted down to a 1.0-1.4L application. I could deal with a 1L making 200-225hp.

erohslc
erohslc Dork
10/14/14 11:27 a.m.

And the power to drive the electric turbo comes from where exactly? ...
TANSTAAFL

QDogg
QDogg New Reader
10/14/14 11:57 a.m.
erohslc wrote: And the power to drive the electric turbo comes from where exactly? ... TANSTAAFL

The transfer of electrons?

GameboyRMH
10/14/14 11:58 a.m.
QDogg wrote:
erohslc wrote: And the power to drive the electric turbo comes from where exactly? ... TANSTAAFL
The transfer of electrons?

Which comes from the crank at some point. Turning crank power into boost, basically pissing energy away right?

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
10/14/14 12:06 p.m.

The electric 'turbo' isn't really a turbo at all. There is no turbine. It is a compressor or an air pump. The thing that is not clear to me, is how is it used to spool up the two exhaust driven turbos? Is it pumping air into the turbine side? Seems like that would/could lead to thermal shock issues when the hot exhaust gasses show up right after. I guess the air will be heated through compression, but I wouldn't think it will be a match for the exhaust gas temps.

Is the electric turbo pushing air into the intake through the turbos until the turbos can develop boost? That would make more sense to me, but it's not what the article writer thinks he understands. Maybe this is an english as a second language issue. It seems that Cameron Auberon either is a poor writer, doesn't understand how engines work, or a combination of both.

It would be neat to see it go into production though however it works.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/14/14 12:13 p.m.

Either that picture is of a different engine, or the AW/TTAC articles are wrong. They say they don't use exhaust gas, but there's pretty clearly two-two port exhaust manifolds plumbed to only two separate turbos. The compressor housing on the turbos in the pic is interesting, though. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the wrong pic for the article and the picture is of a pair of variable vane/exhaust nozzle/whatever turbos instead.

GameboyRMH
10/14/14 12:20 p.m.
T.J. wrote: Is the electric turbo pushing air into the intake through the turbos until the turbos can develop boost? That would make more sense to me, but it's not what the article writer thinks he understands. Maybe this is an english as a second language issue. It seems that Cameron Auberon either is a poor writer, doesn't understand how engines work, or a combination of both.

Yep, this is how it works:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/10/triple-boost-volvos-450hp-2-0l-four/

Bizarrely, this article says that the electric compressor output drives the two other turbos

http://www.autonews.com/article/20141013/OEM06/310139959/volvo-triple-boost-engine-cranks-up-the-power

Pretty sure it's yet another of those epic goofs that comes out when journalists and turbochargers meet

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
10/14/14 1:43 p.m.

A couple of my coworkers went to an Advanced Volvo Tech training seminar last weekend. The instructor is one of the engineers working on this project. Supposedly this would be a motor that would go in to all future Volvos. Base models would get a 250-300HP version and eventually climb up to the 450HP version.

I would also consider an "electric turbo" to be a electric supercharger too.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b7Ey5PFcpMw0P6NydFJRYZ4ZuHChoIF5Fl9exfbx42sHvOPN9x7dTq5tvMYg3Dm2