1 2
procainestart
procainestart Dork
2/11/19 7:07 p.m.

A buddy asked me about a decent set of tires for his Tacoma -- the current ones suck in the snow. He's not looking for snows, though -- he wants all-seasons (contractor Mon-Fri, skier Sat-Sun). I just went to tirerack.com, and got a fire-hose to the face of results, when all I want is a little sip. So, what's a decent all-arounder year-rounder? Thanks

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
2/11/19 7:09 p.m.

I use GeoLanders on my Tacoma, alll year round. 

https://www.yokohamatire.com/geolandar-tires

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
2/11/19 7:15 p.m.

I was going to suggest Geolanders too.

I also just noticed Yokohama doesn't spell them right.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
2/11/19 7:36 p.m.

Cooper Discoverer AT3s

Opti
Opti HalfDork
2/11/19 7:52 p.m.

LTX M/S2.

Excellent at everything except off road.

If your talking about the geolander ats and HTS, they are an older design that's really middle of the pack

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/19 8:04 p.m.

Falken wildpeak on my ram are wearing well and doing nicely in snow and mud and dry for me.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/11/19 8:07 p.m.

Nitto Terra Grappler G2's on the ZAV.

wawazat
wawazat Reader
2/11/19 8:13 p.m.

Toyo Open Country ATII

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/11/19 8:18 p.m.

BFG AT. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
2/11/19 8:52 p.m.

I ran the Cooper Discoverer AT3s on a ZJ and really liked them both on road and off but they get mixed reviews in snow. There is now a discoverer AT3 4S that is specifically four season. You might want to look into them, slightly less off ready but good reviews in snow.

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
2/11/19 11:55 p.m.

I put Hankook Optimo H724 on my Cherokee in 235/75R15 from Hankook Dynapro AT-M. My main motivator towards that tire was the $6x price tag. I gained 2mpg average and ended up with a much quieter tire. They are great in the rain with nice deep siping. In the snow it's not like driving with my Studs but they were fine in the light stuff in 4x4.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
2/12/19 12:10 a.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

H724s are awful in snow with an open diff 2wd XJ, other than that I was happy with them. And I live in a part of the country where snow usually isn't a problem unless I make it one so it wasn't so bad.

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/12/19 1:56 a.m.

I have nothing but good things to say about the Discoverer AT3’s on my 4Runner. I also really liked the Grabber AT2’s on my old GMT800. 

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
2/12/19 4:49 a.m.

My truck came with Hankook dynapro ATMs from the factory and they're doing well in the snow here (currently have 4-6' banks in the front yard). When they're finished I'm flip flopping between another set of BFG ATs like I had on the X-Trail or Wrangler Duratracs like I see on almost everything around here and in Quebec where I used to live. But I have no complaints about the Hankooks.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/12/19 6:10 a.m.

I have Wrangler Adventurer w/ Kevlar on my Colorado and they are garbage. Looking into the Yoko Geolander G015's as my next tire since they get such good reviews.

I have had Hankook's on a Jeep and they were great. Quiet and really lasted a long time(50ish thousand miles).

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/12/19 7:00 a.m.

In reply to Opti :

Came here to suggest the LTX as well. My parents have them on their 00 Tundra and they're fantastic.

My C1500 has the Nokian all season truck/SUV tires, the name of which escapes me at the moment. I haven't put them to the test in winter weather myself yet, but they're great in the wet and dry and supposedly do very well in the snow.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
2/12/19 7:15 a.m.

In reply to Furious_E :

Let's see Nokian, probably has a whole lot of consonants, many doubles and way more letters than necessary, or it was the WR2's. 

outasite
outasite HalfDork
2/12/19 8:23 a.m.

I have dedicated winter tires for the Tacoma. I purchased a set of LTX for the other 3 seasons last year. Great tire for the Tacoma. Better ride and handling quality and quiet compared to the OEM tires. They have good snow ratings as well. However, ice ratings don't compare to winter tires.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/12/19 8:41 a.m.
Opti said:

LTX M/S2.

Excellent at everything except off road.

If your talking about the geolander ats and HTS, they are an older design that's really middle of the pack

I absolutely love the LTX M/S2.  They excel at nearly everything, but on my K2500 they were absolutely helpless on ice and packed snow.  Dry powdery snow was ok, but it would just spin 3 tires if it was packed.  So my experience was a bit different than yours.  Since he specifically said snow, I wouldn't personally choose the LTX for that job.  I'm not intending to be a jerk, just adding my counterpoint.

I just did this search and ended up with Continental TerrainContact A/T.  I know you said he's looking for A/S, but the TerrainContact was designed for exactly what I need; 95% street manners and 5% off road.  They are intended to fill the gap between A/S and A/T.  Top rated on Tire Rack and #1 pick from the staff tests.  I am hoping it is like an aggressive A/S or a light duty A/T.

I can't say how they actually do because they are being shipped to me right now, but they have to be better than the half-bald Kumho Ventures on it now.

I haven't used them, but the Michelin LTX A/T2 was another one I considered this time.  It is also designed as a gap-filler for suvs and trucks that need a little more than A/S but don't need Goodrich T/A KO2 knobbies either.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/12/19 8:58 a.m.

I ran Brisdgestone W965's on my Cummins 4x4 all year, but non-winter use was minimal with that truck.  Amazing in the snow, defied the laws of physics on ice.  Mediocre in all other conditions.  They really convinced me that I want dedicated winter tires for most vehicles, regardless of the inconvenience. 

stumpmj350
stumpmj350 New Reader
2/12/19 2:08 p.m.

Nokian all weather tires are flat our AMAZING in all weather conditions.  We ran a couple of sets of WRG3s on my wife's Element and it was unstoppable in any weather condition.  Look no further.  It'll be the next tire on our Cayenne and any other four season vehicle I own that doesn't get a set of snow tires.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/12/19 2:51 p.m.

I've had 3 sets on the GMC. The stock General something or other. Absolute garbage. I only had them for 30k miles and that was only because the wife kept running over E36 M3 and popping them one at a time. They were pathetic in wet, dry, snow, ice, hot or cold. Their only consistant quality was their absolute garbageness. 

The replacements were some Khumo KL51's (now discontinued) Had those for 50k miles still had tread but they had aged out and gotten hard. Great riding tire. Decent dry and wet, OK in the snow. after 4 years they had hardened up to the point that they spun everywhere. 

The current tires are Some Firestone Destination LE. So far, these are my favorite. We're at 31k miles now, they're still sitting at 9/32 and handle wet and snow decent for such a mild tread design. Great tire for the money. 

Dad has been a Michelin LTX fan. He's had several sets over 50-60k miles per set. swears by them. 

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/12/19 8:41 p.m.

what size?

I have a set of original style Goodyear Wranglers in my S-Jimmy and they suck at everything. Will buy something else in the fall.

skierd
skierd SuperDork
2/12/19 11:53 p.m.

Cooper AT3 4S without a doubt. 

I have a set on my 2017 Tacoma and they have done great this winter. For reference I live in Fairbanks Alaska and have put 5000 solid winter miles on the Coopers; they’re 95% as good as my Outback 2.5i manual with blizzaks was on snow and ice, with much of that difference going to Subaru’s superior AWD setup vs the Taco’s part time 4WD and pure glare ice performance.  They also get a little squared off if the truck sits at -40F overnight but that’s about the only winter problem they’ve had. I love these tires and have no qualms using them year round. 

Depending on the job site conditions, he might be interested in the AT3 LT version too. The 4S is a P rated tire, while the LT’s are either C or E load and are supposed to be more cut resistant. 

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
2/13/19 12:45 a.m.

We just had the Defender LTX M/S (the LTX M/S2 replacement) installed on our Sedona this past fall, and even with this  set of record winter storms, they have more than lived up to the LTX's reputation for being one of the best all around all-season tires available. I'm not going to say there might not be better all-season tires for maximum snow/ice performance, but not that I have ever driven on...And I wouldn't believe by much if there are. Compared to the Conti DWS I've repeatedly used on my other cars, which have been very good in their own right, there have been times when I almost could have sworn I was on winter tires with these. To say that I have been impressed by them, would be an understatement. They have already been absolutely worth every penny.

I know 'truck' tires on a minivan isn't going to be quite the same thing as on a pickup, but I feel it's still another data point on the tires.  Of course, I also haven't tried any A/T tires on the Sedona...yet...So I can't speak to how they'd compare.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Fj2aDY5kBLujLDQltD1QZqmUcFI83ik64lkqQYKDUOmtn7GlDeaJnDemkZMgEHuB