1 2 3
Sirdeuce
Sirdeuce
5/23/19 2:02 p.m.

I saw this thread and signed up to the site. Plus 1 on OST's suggestion. I have built a few 7AGEs, and I can tell you they're great for the type of driving done in auto-X. In N/A form it's not unheard of to get a 160/160 hp/tq split. The turbo thing can do well, especially with todays snails, but if you want to keep a supercharger try the SC14 or an Eaton M62. I like the M62 for 4AGE use, for the numbers you are looking at you'll be closer to the blowers sweet spot, the M45's efficiency drops off towards the RPM you'll need. If you have the funds the Eaton TVS 1040 would be awesome. That's for the roots type superchargers, centrifugal type I've not had any experience so I can't say anything there.

As for a budget, building a 7AGE doesn't cost much more than building a 4AGE. But a 7AGE will net more power than a 4AGE for the same money. ANother advantage to a 7AGE over the 4AGE is the lower RPM grunt. Going with your gearing will get you out of the hole faster, if you can hook it up, or you can use taller gears to forego that unecessary shift where most people just bang the rev limiter.  If you drift, oh boy, you'll love it.

If you are interested in an SC14 check out my friends site:

http://bigmike.marlincrawler.com/

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
5/23/19 2:19 p.m.

Back in the day, there was a turbocharged 7age 20 valve in Oz running 300 HP in a MK1 MR2.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/19 3:32 p.m.
Dr. Hess said:

Back in the day, there was a turbocharged 7age 20 valve in Oz running 300 HP in a MK1 MR2.

Barry "Bazda" Manon is running a "7AGTE 20v" in his AE92 GTZ:

https://www.themotorhood.com/themotorhood/2016/5/13/prowear-nz-superlap-series-spotlight-barry-manons-mental-levin

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
9/29/19 7:44 p.m.
captdownshift said:

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

you'd definitely need a custom manifold for a twin scroll, the EB flange would be about the biggest pain to fab up there there is. Cast is stronger and won't crack, but it'll be easier to have a ramhorn welded up. The easy button would be a TD04 from a volvo and swap in a billet 20T wheel mounted to a T3 flange adapter to an off the shelf 4AGE cast manifold for a T3 setup, this would be very challenge friendly as well. You'd be looking at $150 for the manifold and flange adapter, yards are full of the turbos (grab the intercooler while you're there), $90 for your billet wheel upgrade $60 for the rebuild kit. You have budget left for fueling, EM and plumbing. The turbo will be very happy in the mid-upper 200s, but will start to run out of breathe around 300hp. 

Bringing this back. Do you know of a cheap cast manifold that fits 4age MR2?

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
9/30/19 10:17 a.m.
MrJoshua said:
captdownshift said:

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

you'd definitely need a custom manifold for a twin scroll, the EB flange would be about the biggest pain to fab up there there is. Cast is stronger and won't crack, but it'll be easier to have a ramhorn welded up. The easy button would be a TD04 from a volvo and swap in a billet 20T wheel mounted to a T3 flange adapter to an off the shelf 4AGE cast manifold for a T3 setup, this would be very challenge friendly as well. You'd be looking at $150 for the manifold and flange adapter, yards are full of the turbos (grab the intercooler while you're there), $90 for your billet wheel upgrade $60 for the rebuild kit. You have budget left for fueling, EM and plumbing. The turbo will be very happy in the mid-upper 200s, but will start to run out of breathe around 300hp. 

Bringing this back. Do you know of a cheap cast manifold that fits 4age MR2?

This Amazon kit for $400 is the cheapest cast manifold I can find, but I seriously doubt it's reliability. I hate saying it- since I've never done it myself- but you're likely better off making one. Al (turboyoda) of the SkidFactory had done a video of making one for the Bedford- said the real trick to making one was keeping it as warm for as long as possible so it didn't crack.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uVDXDIra3vZe0u6FdsWRVFMfo0pUcXe5uf60RXlyNIy80SRIBGoZl418SGAR2v2C