miataman86
miataman86 New Reader
3/5/12 4:50 p.m.

I will be installing a G-force 5 Point harness in my Miata soon and I was thinking to myself, how should the torso belts be mounted at the end that goes around the harness bar? I will be using the harness for autocross and track days coming up this year. Already have the seat picked out too, no worries there.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/5/12 5:04 p.m.

miataman86
miataman86 New Reader
3/5/12 5:09 p.m.

The harness is already been set through the clips and such. Came in the box ready to install. Its the metal clip thay has the hole where a bolt can go through is what I'm curious about. Where does that clip mount to?

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
3/5/12 5:12 p.m.

Remove it and have the shoulder belts go around the harness bar. Follow EvanB's diagram except have the belts wrap the harness bar in the same fashion as they go around the 2nd clip in the diagrams.

EvanB
3/5/12 5:13 p.m.

That would be for harness tabs. You want to take that end off that route it like the picture, but instead of passing it through the slit on the end with the bolt hole you will pass it around the harness bar.

miataman86
miataman86 New Reader
3/5/12 5:15 p.m.

Ah, ok. Gotcha now. Thanks a bunch!

miataman86
miataman86 New Reader
3/5/12 5:18 p.m.

I'd love to have a right hand drive Miata

unevolved
unevolved Dork
3/6/12 8:38 a.m.

That car looks like a concussion just waiting to happen.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/6/12 9:54 a.m.

I don't want to sound too preachy here, but a harness bar and 5 point belt is a bad idea in a convertible.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
3/6/12 10:46 a.m.

A harness bar without at least a roll bar is a bad idea in any car.

Though I do see a need for lots of high density foam on that cage.

Most Miata roll bars have a built in harness bar (at least for NAs).

miataman86
miataman86 New Reader
3/9/12 6:31 p.m.

HDF is a must for any roll bar. Smacking thine melon on hard steel isnt the most comfortable feeling I'm sure of. I plan on getting a roll bar from FM before I put the harness in. Safety is my upmost priority. Safety is a must for anything autocross or track related.

kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
3/10/12 7:10 a.m.

Ahhh, yes, the dreaded Miata roll bar install. You might want to train for it by trying to lift weights in a full coat closet for about eight hours. That said, its probably the most satisfying car project I've ever done.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
3/10/12 7:15 p.m.

I didn't find installing a Harddog Hardcore M2 bar in my 99 to difficult. Of course I did have help and a lift but the bar came with no instructions so there were a lot of trial fittings to figure out where to cut or drill. With 2 of us it wasn't that heavy or difficult to manhandle around. My daughter found this roll bar that someone bought new and never installed. Got it for about 2/3 of what a retailer wanted. And it is just the roll bar with no cage or door pieces. Looking for a harness bar for it now. Anyone know where I can get one?

EvanB
3/10/12 8:06 p.m.

My only advice for installing a HD bar, put in the seatbelt tower bolts before drilling any holes. I just eyeballed mine and it doesn't quite line up.

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
3/11/12 3:52 p.m.
wlkelley3 wrote: I didn't find installing a Harddog Hardcore M2 bar in my 99 to difficult. Of course I did have help and a lift but the bar came with no instructions so there were a lot of trial fittings to figure out where to cut or drill. With 2 of us it wasn't that heavy or difficult to manhandle around. My daughter found this roll bar that someone bought new and never installed. Got it for about 2/3 of what a retailer wanted. And it is just the roll bar with no cage or door pieces. Looking for a harness bar for it now. Anyone know where I can get one?

Look on Flyin Miata. I know they have them. Gomiata.com also has them. Flyin Miata has supreme customer service. I have no qualms with them whatsoever.

kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
3/12/12 7:36 a.m.

You can also pick these up used (well, pre-owned. I wouldn't buy one that's truely used) BUT 1. you have to know exactly what you are looking for, people often mis-label them in classified adds, 2. you have to shop compulsively on every available source and 3. you have to move incredibly quickly, as there always seem to be about 150 other people doing exactly the same thing. I bid on mine about 10 minutes after it was listed. By the time the seller contacted me about an hour and a half later, he already had four other offers. I paid his asking price and arranged to have it picked up in his home town. The hassle was worth it though, because I got an M2 dual diagonal with padding, cover, harness bar and Schroth harness for about $400.00.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
3/12/12 11:27 a.m.

In reply to miataman86: Thanks for the link and answer. Bookmarked.

In reply to kazoospec: I search rollbar and any associated variation but don't have the time to be vigilant about it. Found rollbars with harness bar. Have the rollbar and it unfortunately came without the harness bar.

ppddppdd
ppddppdd Reader
3/12/12 11:56 a.m.
miataman86 wrote: HDF is a must for any roll bar. Smacking thine melon on hard steel isnt the most comfortable feeling I'm sure of. I plan on getting a roll bar from FM before I put the harness in. Safety is my upmost priority. Safety is a must for anything autocross or track related.

Spring for the fancy dual-density roll bar padding designed for unprotected flesh. IMO it's the only relatively safe option. The high-density SFI padding is designed for cushioning a helmet, not your head. It doesn't spread the force out over a very wide area and it's hard as hell. And any foam that feels soft to the touch will do nothing in an accident. I think I got it straight from BCSI when I did my bar.

Bear in mind, it's neither inexpensive nor compact. It'll take some fiddling to get it to clear the top.

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
3/20/12 2:43 p.m.

Cool. I like the sound of the dual density padding. Thanks. I will look into that for sure.

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
3/20/12 3:23 p.m.

For $30 a 3' section, its worth it. Safety comes at a premium sometimes and I'm not willing to skimp on protection. Thanks again for the recommendation. I'll look into getting it in the next few weeks. Just placed the order for the Hard Dog Hard Core M1 bar just a few minutes ago on FM, so I still got time to get the money saved for the amount of padding necessary for the roll bar. Cant wait to get it in!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kW2pqxQAFXJwOsOkFM5sk2rArxj2gcCKSGftlqsLfPlkuKSjuiCrQyhNZzwtV6Dh