WOW!!!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/29/18 8:04 a.m.

That was bonkers!

wae
wae SuperDork
6/29/18 8:07 a.m.

An eighth gear might have gotten them a couple tenths off that time.  It's kind of weird to hear a car basically running on rev limiter for that long at 228mph...

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
6/29/18 8:52 a.m.

Incredible.  Like watching most 'Ring videos in at 2x speed... 

Hey, Toyota... Here's your chance! wink

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/29/18 8:56 a.m.

I think that if anyone's going to try to beat this Ultimate Track Car, it'll be Red Bull with an F1 car let off the leash. Drop the fuel flow limitations, cover the wheels and let her rip.

I love that Porsche is doing this.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
6/29/18 9:07 a.m.

This is my new favorite way for companies to spend money. It's functionally unlimited rules time trial. I love it.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/29/18 9:10 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

That would be something to see.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
6/29/18 9:10 a.m.

In reply to wae :

That was my thought as well.  Totally bonkers.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
6/29/18 9:11 a.m.

The video is truly bonkers, just like the onboards from the VW Pikes Peak run. What track should they go for next? 

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
6/29/18 9:18 a.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

Pikes Peak.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/29/18 9:18 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I think that if anyone's going to try to beat this Ultimate Track Car, it'll be Red Bull with an F1 car let off the leash. Drop the fuel flow limitations, cover the wheels and let her rip.

I love that Porsche is doing this.

Maybe they could try to build something like one of their X20xx concept cars...I particularly like the X2010 because it looks like a Cyber Formula car laugh

I think the tires will hold it back though...

Keith Tanner
6/29/18 9:24 a.m.
loosecannon said:

The video is truly bonkers, just like the onboards from the VW Pikes Peak run. What track should they go for next? 

They're going to Laguna Seca for Rennsport. Prepare thyself. Current record is 1'05.786 in a 2003 F1 car.

If someone at Porsche really wants to show off the size of their massive carbon fiber testicles, they need to take it to Mt Panorama.

Ram50Ron
Ram50Ron GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/29/18 9:29 a.m.

Porsche is building ground dwelling space ships... duly noted.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/29/18 10:01 a.m.

Dang it. Blocked.  I'll have to wait until I get home.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
6/29/18 10:16 a.m.

That's just nuts. The way they used the hybrid boost on the faster sections to bump up the top speed was a bit of a surprise. Downforce is neat!

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
6/29/18 10:25 a.m.

BTW, 145mph AVERAGE speed for the lap.

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
6/29/18 12:58 p.m.

Did anyone else notice how violent the ride looked on the final long straight? Doing 228 magnifies things but wow that looked jarring.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
6/29/18 1:07 p.m.

I can't even imagine the skill it takes to drive that quick.  he has alien level reflexes. Interesting that he stays outside of the carousel.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
6/29/18 1:11 p.m.

This is what pod racing would look like in real life. I'm pretty sure the Porsche 919 Hybrid Evo went to plaid at least twice on that run. It cracked 228mph at one point, and crossed over 200mph several times. A balls out run for no reason other than to see what the car would do uncorked.

Keith Tanner
6/29/18 1:18 p.m.
2002maniac said:

I can't even imagine the skill it takes to drive that quick.  he has alien level reflexes. Interesting that he stays outside of the carousel.

The Carousel is really rough with a violent transition when you exit it. He's got enough speed (100 kmh!) to generate downforce, so that could likely be the fastest way around for him.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
6/29/18 1:23 p.m.

Man, that's fast. Like watching in fast forward!

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/29/18 1:41 p.m.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/29/18 2:11 p.m.
The0retical said:

Did anyone else notice how violent the ride looked on the final long straight? Doing 228 magnifies things but wow that looked jarring.

Yeah, I was thinking there's no way I'd have the sheer balls to stay flat on the gas while being bucked around like a rodeo cowboy at 300kph+. Every fiber of his being must be screaming to lift off the gas before he bounces into a cartoonishly bad wreck.

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
6/29/18 2:18 p.m.

Maybe it's different from inside the car, but looking at the in-car vid, I'm amazed at how little visibility there appears to be.  The windows are already tiny, and then his head is like 3 feet behind the windshield.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ueRYxL35VLlqvtxHpimHdVHEjyLWr0WdwQPtTmJQl8XAqexXgrKgOHiBBBET0lSw