1 2 3
84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
6/29/18 2:24 p.m.

Having run around the ring at a snails pace (still scary) I just can't even grasp how a driver could even do that.  There is almost nowhere on the course where you aren't visibily reminded of your death should you get it wrong.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/29/18 2:33 p.m.
2002maniac said:

I can't even imagine the skill it takes to drive that quick.  he has alien level reflexes. Interesting that he stays outside of the carousel.

And I'm sure when he got back into the pits he said, "Can I have another go? I'm sure I left a few seconds out there..."

I'm glad I waited until I got home and could watch it on the flat screen TV through my stereo. cool

In reply to 84FSP :

I can't even get around the track in Forza without wrecking at least once. 

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
6/29/18 2:47 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I think that if anyone's going to try to beat this Ultimate Track Car, it'll be Red Bull with an F1 car let off the leash...

If taking it 'unlimited', would it become an FU car?...That seems like an appropriate designation for a Red Bull record breaking endeavor.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
6/29/18 2:51 p.m.

Most likely avoided the inside at the carousel due to ride height.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
6/29/18 2:53 p.m.
NorseDave said:

Maybe it's different from inside the car, but looking at the in-car vid, I'm amazed at how little visibility there appears to be.  The windows are already tiny, and then his head is like 3 feet behind the windshield.  

His daily is a Camaro, so...

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
6/29/18 3:25 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
The0retical said:

Did anyone else notice how violent the ride looked on the final long straight? Doing 228 magnifies things but wow that looked jarring.

Yeah, I was thinking there's no way I'd have the sheer balls to stay flat on the gas while being bucked around like a rodeo cowboy at 300kph+. Every fiber of his being must be screaming to lift off the gas before he bounces into a cartoonishly bad wreck.

My guess is that it's just blind faith in the downforce producing aero (and attachment engineering) at that point. Losing a wing/splitter/undertray would be a pretty interesting experience at that speed. I'm not sure I'd have the stones to try it either.

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
6/29/18 3:44 p.m.

That car accelerates like it is in a cartoon. I now have a whole new definition for "ludicrous" now...

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/29/18 4:07 p.m.

I’ve never driven anything remotely that fast, or any tracks that are long & challenging like the Ring, but it sure seems like there’s no feedback to help you discern “the limit” from “the wall”, and at those speeds no time to react anyway. You just have to “know”. 

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/29/18 5:12 p.m.

I'm impressed  by how little braking was used. 

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
6/29/18 5:16 p.m.
vwcorvette said:

I'm impressed  by how little braking was used. 

Regen braking is a wonderful thing.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/29/18 5:18 p.m.

I can't wait to watch this. Will wait and watch it when I get home instead of watching on my phone on a plane. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/29/18 5:55 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

I’ve never driven anything remotely that fast, or any tracks that are long & challenging like the Ring, but it sure seems like there’s no feedback to help you discern “the limit” from “the wall”, and at those speeds no time to react anyway. You just have to “know”. 

That's basically the nature of driving a downforce-dependent car, but at least the walls are usually further away...

white_fly
white_fly Reader
6/30/18 5:22 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I think that if anyone's going to try to beat this Ultimate Track Car, it'll be Red Bull with an F1 car let off the leash. Drop the fuel flow limitations, cover the wheels and let her rip.

I love that Porsche is doing this.

It would be great to see Red Bull do something similar. Even seeing two compliant cars from F1 and LMP1 on track together would be fascinating. 

Everything about the lap is impressive to me, both man and machine. I can't imagine a field of cars racing at this track and at this speed safely, but that's not the point. It's an incredible demonstration of what's possible, rather than a concept of what's possibly possible.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
6/30/18 7:34 p.m.

F1 ain't got E36M3 to contest this effort, this craft(919) is the epitome of all that is truly developed as we know it.....156mph avg.?!!?!?!?!!???

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
6/30/18 8:33 p.m.

Couldn't turn a lap like that in a 1000 tries on Gran Turismo.  Can't even imagine adding the "I might die" factor to the equation.  That was mind-blowing.  

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/30/18 8:47 p.m.
2002maniac said:

I can't even imagine the skill it takes to drive that quick.  he has alien level reflexes. Interesting that he stays outside of the carousel.

I noticed this as well. 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/30/18 10:52 p.m.
2002maniac said:

I noticed that as well, I wonder if it’s just gotten too bumpy. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
6/30/18 10:58 p.m.

Yeah, I was thinking there's no way I'd have the sheer balls to stay flat on the gas while being bucked around like a rodeo cowboy

Well, I haven't looked into it at all but just from watching the video it seems pretty clear to me that there's some filtering going on between his throttle pedal and actual power delivery. There seemed to be a lot of instances where what he was asking for (according to the throttle bar graph lol) and what he got were vastly different. Mostly at higher speeds and around curves.  It seemed to allow full accel onto 'straights' but limit the speed the car would accelerate to to something appropriate for the corner even if the driver was requesting something unsafe. Probably some high frequency GPS, prior datalogging of what the car would 'hold', and other such fanciness involved.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
7/1/18 7:15 a.m.
84FSP said:

Having run around the ring at a snails pace (still scary) I just can't even grasp how a driver could even do that.  There is almost nowhere on the course where you aren't visibily reminded of your death should you get it wrong.

Those guardrails look really, really close at that speed...  To say nothing of the trees...  You wouldn't even have time to think "E36M3!!!!!" before hitting something. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
7/1/18 8:47 a.m.
stroker said:
84FSP said:

Those guardrails look really, really close at that speed...  To say nothing of the trees...  You wouldn't even have time to think "E36M3!!!!!" before hitting something. 

You mean something similar to this? 

I say it's about time someone put the sport back in Motorsport. Congratulations Porsche! 

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
7/1/18 9:38 a.m.
Vigo said:

Well, I haven't looked into it at all but just from watching the video it seems pretty clear to me that there's some filtering going on between his throttle pedal and actual power delivery. There seemed to be a lot of instances where what he was asking for (according to the throttle bar graph lol) and what he got were vastly different. Mostly at higher speeds and around curves.  It seemed to allow full accel onto 'straights' but limit the speed the car would accelerate to to something appropriate for the corner even if the driver was requesting something unsafe. Probably some high frequency GPS, prior datalogging of what the car would 'hold', and other such fanciness involved.

I think a lot of this is just the hybrid systems on the car. The turbocharged, gas engine drives the rear wheels. It's got a baseline of 500-600hp available pretty much all the time. That seems pretty straight forward. There's an electric motor that adds something like 500hp on the front axle too, so it's got tons of power and awd grip coming out of corners, but that power gets mostly used up pretty quickly. There's also an energy recovery setup on the turbo like a modern f1 car has, and that can feed additional boost into the engine to avoid turbo lag, or a "push to pass" kind of bump in acceleration. The driver has some control over when to deploy the energy from the hybrid systems, but it seems fairly easy to figure out the strategy.

1. Brake hard going into the corner, recovering energy via regen braking and charging the front axle

2. Use that recovered energy to drive all 4 wheels out of the corner.

3. Use the turbo energy when available to maximize top speed in the fast sections

I have no doubt that there's some complex traction control happening here. But Maybe part of what you're noticing is just times when the car doesn't have the ability to deploy full power because the energy reserves have been depleted?

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
7/1/18 10:13 a.m.

I have no doubt that there's some complex traction control happening here. But Maybe part of what you're noticing is just times when the car doesn't have the ability to deploy full power because the energy reserves have been depleted?

It's probably a combination of all three, plus i don't have much faith that the throttle graph overlay is all that accurate. But there are definitely times in that video where the car seems like it is arbitrarily refusing to accelerate at 100% throttle. Given all the work that goes into an attempt like this, probably all of the things we suspect plus some more that we dont are all occurring.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/1/18 10:39 a.m.
759NRNG said:

F1 ain't got E36M3 to contest this effort, this craft(919) is the epitome of all that is truly developed as we know it.....156mph avg.?!!?!?!?!!???

The 919 Evo beat Hamilton's pole time last year at Spa by 3/4 second, but this year's cars are faster.  It'll be interesting to see what happens in August. :)

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
7/1/18 11:34 a.m.

Good lord.  I don't have the balls or skill to accomplish that lap in a video game...

Truly awesome. yes

Matthew Kennedy
Matthew Kennedy GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/2/18 5:11 a.m.

In reply to grover :

Yeah, the carousel is just very bumpy. It's a bunch of flat concrete slabs, so there's a considerable bump between each one.  On a car so reliant on aero and so stiff like this one, you don't want to screw with the ground clearance like would happen bouncing over that. I'm sure the pavement at the top is faster in this car.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RXCFmukfrohOu7xHwpOBPt5VEdtxgzmxx07cxv1TNafbj7fMBa3IpHKPZKRBudId