1 2 3 4
The0retical
The0retical UberDork
8/24/19 4:57 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

So, guesses as to the hammer price? Impressed with the bidding so far. 

I'm betting $72k.

These things really are the modern day Shelby Cobras or Yenko Super Camaros.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/26/19 2:48 p.m.

Step 1 approved by wife....  sell Mustang, NA and Boxster and buy ND.  Gonna be buying components with bonus 3-4 times a year if all goes well.  

I priced out doing my NA with all new engine, trans, rear etc.  It looks as if it might make more sense to invest in a newer stiffer chassis too.  I’m hoping this winter I can find a ‘16 club for 12,xxx.  I can drive it for 12-18 months as is while acquiring parts.  Maybe I will get another raise this year too.....  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/19 3:58 p.m.

As the owner of a V8 NA - the V8 ND is really a much better car. You can more easily use it as a real car. The NA has more inherent drama because you're locked in the car with a beastly engine, but the ND can dance just as well.

As for buying the subject - pay attention to the interior. The GT has a nicer interior with more toys, the Club is a little more stripped down. We haven't done a Club with an LS yet, you may have to retrofit a specific sensor on the steering column from a GT.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/26/19 4:33 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

ND's getting into the 12k range? blush

Keith Tanner
8/26/19 4:38 p.m.

eBay has three in the 18s right now plus two salvage cars - if you don't mind flood damage that, I swear on my mother's grave, it only went to the floorboards and I waxed it real good, you can get that for under $12k.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/26/19 5:12 p.m.

I just found a few for 15-16k on Craigslist 

And they had under 40k miles

AnthonyGS
8/26/19 5:43 p.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to AnthonyGS :

ND's getting into the 12k range? blush

Local one listed as for sale by owner at 14.3.  This is why I’m predicting 12.9k this winter.

Keith Tanner
8/28/19 4:04 p.m.

Sold for $84,000. I have to admit that’s higher than I expected, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable. It feels good to have the marketplace respond to our work!

AnthonyGS, think about how much work you’ll put into this. Start with the car that will give you the end result you want, not the cheapest possible. It’s why we had so many people ask us to convert Mazdaspeeds, because that was the look and feel they wanted even if they paid a bit more for the donor car. 

AnthonyGS
8/28/19 11:43 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Sold for $84,000. I have to admit that’s higher than I expected, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable. It feels good to have the marketplace respond to our work!

AnthonyGS, think about how much work you’ll put into this. Start with the car that will give you the end result you want, not the cheapest possible. It’s why we had so many people ask us to convert Mazdaspeeds, because that was the look and feel they wanted even if they paid a bit more for the donor car. 

You make a great point.  I see myself taking $5k or so to a used car dealer with my 00 Boxster S soon.  That puts me at two hobby cars which fit in my garage.  It’ll take a while to buy all the parts and get it done, but I have time in the winters, big end of year bonuses and we know FM will be around a long time.  

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
8/29/19 9:53 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

If I shipped you a new ND what would it cost to replicate that car?  I’m just trying to get an idea of whether that was a good buy on the used market or if someone would have been better off having you guys build them one.

classicJackets
classicJackets Dork
8/29/19 9:55 p.m.

In reply to Cotton :

He commented in the BaT thread that it was a $65k build, after they got the car. So, likely still a great deal for the buyer!

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
8/29/19 9:56 p.m.

In reply to classicJackets :

Ah thanks,  I didn’t read all the comments,  so didn’t catch that.

Keith Tanner
8/29/19 11:19 p.m.

There were a lot of comments :)

Had this been an ordinary build, $84k is right about the cost of buying a new car and having us modify it. But it wasn’t. There were three guys bidding over $80k for this one, so it definitely had the market’s attention. 

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
8/29/19 11:49 p.m.

It is a LS-swap Miata.  Yawn.

Keith Tanner
8/30/19 12:31 a.m.

Yeah, they’re pretty dull. I mean, there are about a half dozen of these in the world. Nobody likes them. Totally played out. 

AnthonyGS
8/30/19 1:38 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Yeah, they’re pretty dull. I mean, there are about a half dozen of these in the world. Nobody likes them. Totally played out. 

That few?  Today I was looking at a Fiat 124 Abarth.  The Fiat has some neat lines.  Are the electronics compatible?  I’m thinking FM’s computer interface works with the LS/Miata combo but would it work with LS/Fiat combo?  

My wife offered to fly and drive a Miata for me today too......  

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/30/19 7:39 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

. The NA has more inherent drama because you're locked in the car with a beastly engine, but the ND can dance just as well.

Yes, this is the truth as I am finding out. At no time are you NOT aware that there is a monster aboard.It is also waaaayyyyy  to much fun to provoke said monster!devilsurpriselaugh

I am waiting for the novelty to wear off.

Pete

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/30/19 8:20 a.m.
nimblemotorsports said:

Don't cut yourself on that edge. 

Keith Tanner
8/30/19 10:09 a.m.
AnthonyGS said:
Keith Tanner said:

That few?  Today I was looking at a Fiat 124 Abarth.  The Fiat has some neat lines.  Are the electronics compatible?  I’m thinking FM’s computer interface works with the LS/Miata combo but would it work with LS/Fiat combo?  

Yes, that few. We simply didn't have the time to build any more. The decision to stop building turn-keys was an acknowledgement of what we were able to accomplish. We had a waiting list, we just couldn't fulfill it. There is a DIY-built one in Sweden that was our test customer for supporting DIYers, it's up and running around.

The Fiat would PROBABLY work. Maybe. It depends on how much Fiat is in the CAN stream on the body side. I'd need a log to know for sure. I also don't know what differences there are in the engine bay architecture. The Fiats look good from some angles and then fall apart from others. 

Nohome, the novelty will fade but the giggles never will.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/19 10:39 a.m.
z31maniac said:
nimblemotorsports said:

Don't cut yourself on that edge. 

And you say we never agree on anything...

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
8/30/19 10:47 a.m.
nimblemotorsports said:

We’d all love to see the sub-3,000lb, 525hp sports car you drive that makes this boring!

Keith Tanner
8/30/19 10:52 a.m.

Psst. ~2600 ;)

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/30/19 10:56 a.m.

Yeah, I'd have to think outside of some super exotic, or a sport bike, you're unlikely to find something as wild.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/30/19 10:58 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
AnthonyGS said:
Keith Tanner said:

Yes, that few. We simply didn't have the time to build any more. The decision to stop building turn-keys was an acknowledgement of what we were able to accomplish. We had a waiting list, we just couldn't fulfill it. There is a DIY-built one in Sweden that was our test customer for supporting DIYers, it's up and running around.

The Fiat would PROBABLY work. Maybe. It depends on how much Fiat is in the CAN stream on the body side. I'd need a log to know for sure. I also don't know what differences there are in the engine bay architecture. The Fiats look good from some angles and then fall apart from others. 

I didn't realize you stopped building them either. 

I don't have the money laying around for one, but where would you but it on the difficuly scale for a DIY job? 

I've swapped E36 motors into E30s, all suspension brake work, multiple Miata engine swaps, etc.

ronholm
ronholm Dork
8/30/19 10:58 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
AnthonyGS said:
Keith Tanner said:

Sounds like you need to raise the price to a point you have a waiting list you can keep up with.  There is at least 2 othe guys in the world who were at 80K+ for a used one.  :)

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bucnmdZzsro4pF5LeKv3CUMXJlXtkidCK9wVQjn1HdKXHjkQswmz3HblKPcNJqNK