1 2
paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
1/26/17 1:33 p.m.

Dude, that is a righteous lighting install!

How many watts is the power supply? Or VA, or whatever?

Edit: duh, you already answered that question!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
1/26/17 1:39 p.m.

I avoid the waterproof stuff. Its easier to work with and use elsewhere when you have leftovers.

If you guys don't have a PC power supply, you can get a DC supply with plenty of wattage CHEAP. Link

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/26/17 2:27 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin:

Yeah - I saw they're cheap (about the same price on Amazon), but one advantage of the PC PS is the higher load capacity. One power supply should be able to run all of the LED strips you'd want to install in a given area.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
1/26/17 2:57 p.m.
Ian F wrote: In reply to ProDarwin: Yeah - I saw they're cheap (about the same price on Amazon), but one advantage of the PC PS is the higher load capacity. One power supply should be able to run all of the LED strips you'd want to install in a given area.

If you go up to 30 amps / 360W, the price only goes to $20.

Not saying don't use a PC power supply...

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
1/26/17 7:20 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin:

This has my interest for the same reason (blowing old ballasts).

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
1/26/17 7:22 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: I avoid the waterproof stuff. Its easier to work with and use elsewhere when you have leftovers. If you guys don't have a PC power supply, you can get a DC supply with plenty of wattage CHEAP. Link

I don't understand, why do you avoid the waterproof stuff?

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/27/17 6:41 a.m.
ShadowSix wrote:
ProDarwin wrote: I avoid the waterproof stuff. Its easier to work with and use elsewhere when you have leftovers. If you guys don't have a PC power supply, you can get a DC supply with plenty of wattage CHEAP. Link
I don't understand, why do you avoid the waterproof stuff?

Having worked with both the waterproof and non-waterproof stuff, I actually liked working with the waterproof stuff better. I did some kitchen lighting for mom with the same strips, but non-waterproof, and I felt like I had to be extra careful with the strips to not bend them too much to mess them up. With the waterproof ones I used here, the waterproof coating gave it enough strength and flexibility to be very workable and feel a lot more durable.

As for using later, from what I've seen online, if you cut your strip at the proper spot, you then just use a utility knife to take off the waterproof coating from over the contact points to use the remainder. Doesn't look that hard, but I've not tried it yet...

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/27/17 9:00 a.m.

What about the glue tape on them? Is it enough to hold them to a metal roof, say, or go with the zip ties?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/27/17 9:45 a.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess:

The stickiness seems to fail after awhile. I installed a LED kit (from Lowes) on the bottom of a shelf to light my guitars (also the main light for the room). For the most part it has stuck, but is starting to peal back at the end. How well the adhesive would last in the drastically changing temperature and humidity conditions of a garage, I would not be optimistic about.

IMG_20161226_185658120

I added a 1/4 round on the edge of the shelf to get the glare down to a more tolerable level (my computer desk faces this shelf). Before I added that, it really lit up the room.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
1/27/17 9:57 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: What about the glue tape on them? Is it enough to hold them to a metal roof, say, or go with the zip ties?

The self-adhesive on non-waterproof strips is pretty good. Not sure about a metal roof as you'd be dealing with temperature changes and the intent would be for them to be up there for a long time.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
1/27/17 10:00 a.m.

As for the waterproof strips - the casing has been a pain in the ass for me, and I don't need them to be waterproof. Non waterproof are easier to solder to (they sit flat on a surface better) and you don't have to cut anything off of them and risk destroying them in the process.

That said, I've used these a LOT of places, but never in an overhead scenario like this. I can understand going waterproof in this case just for the additional structural integrity of things.

AWSX1686
1/27/17 12:39 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: What about the glue tape on them? Is it enough to hold them to a metal roof, say, or go with the zip ties?

The glue tape on the back of them is hit and miss. Some of mine stuck really well, others were just ok. They all stuck. Given the temperature changes I don't trust it 100%, which is why I used the plastic wire staples every 3-6 feet or so. Just so it can't all fall down.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
2/6/17 7:56 a.m.

This thread inspired me to try it myself. Love it.

Grabbed a $30 PC power supply to do the other half of the shop's work space as well, though I'm not anywhere near the limits of what I have already. I'm going to hit these with spots of hot glue to keep them in place this week.

AWSX1686
2/6/17 8:11 a.m.

In reply to DaveEstey:

Awesome! Looks great!

I kinda want to get 5 more strips and do the rest of the garage so It's not just the working half. I haven't had a chance to finish cleaning up the wiring yet though.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/6/17 8:17 a.m.

A computer friend brought over a couple of old PC power supplies he was going to toss. Now to order a few of those LED strips.

oilstain
oilstain New Reader
2/8/17 1:57 p.m.

Now that you've been living with them, what do you think? How is the glare? What about the color temp? Would you do anything different if you were to do it over again?

AWSX1686
2/9/17 7:19 a.m.
oilstain wrote: Now that you've been living with them, what do you think? How is the glare? What about the color temp? Would you do anything different if you were to do it over again?

I haven't done a ton of work under them, but I see them every morning getting the car out of the garage and overall I really like them.

Color Temp: I like the WHITE white. (Cool White I guess.) If you like a more yellow incandescent light, they sell strips with that color temp too.

Glare: Not much really. It's a very full and dense light so there's not many shadows which is nice.

I plan to do the rest of the garage at some point, and also my front porch.

AWSX1686
3/6/17 10:58 a.m.

Update:

A few weeks ago when working on the electric in the garage I tested the power supply while these LED strips were turned on and they were only getting 9.5 volts!

So last night I finally got around to trying a different power supply. I found one that was a bit beefier this time. Hooked everything up, and now with all 7 current strips it runs at 11.9 volts. Much better! Much brighter too! I still need to clean up the wiring a little more, and I will also distribute the load on the different legs of the power supply a little more too, but for now I am quite happy!

Ignore the mess, we were working on a lot of things last night. Finished the electrical panel, fixed the voltage for the LED strips and installed the sound system, so it's a bit of a mess. :)

AWSX1686
3/6/17 11:01 a.m.

While I was at it I had another LED strip with power supply from the manufacture that I was planning to use on the front porch, and decided to put it up to light up the garage attic. It doesn't go across the whole length of it, but it lights everything up pretty well for an attic! Warning, very dirty up here... Need to get a shop vac I think....

harlow_rico
harlow_rico New Reader
3/24/18 9:54 a.m.
Update:

A few weeks ago when working on the electric in the garage I tested the power supply while these LED strips were turned on and they were only getting 9.5 volts!

So last night I finally got around to trying a different power supply. I found one that was a bit beefier this time. Hooked everything up, and now with all 7 current strips it runs at 11.9 volts. Much better! Much brighter too! I still need to clean up the wiring a little more, and I will also distribute the load on the different legs of the power supply a little more too, but for now I am quite happy!

Ignore the mess, we were working on a lot of things last night. Finished the electrical panel, fixed the voltage for the LED strips and installed the sound system, so it's a bit of a mess. :)

the garage lighting i used: power: 300 watt LED, lumens: 42000 lm, color temperature: 5500K

great work! this lighting design is quite modern

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
3/25/18 12:13 a.m.

I put 2 rows of the 600 led strips on the awning of Moby the Road Castle and BustedA$$ Rallykar Service House. They throw a surprising and totally useful amount of light, enough to find the dropped 10mm fastener in what would otherwise be the dark....also replaced all the silly little useless lamps in the storage bays with more of the same, and all the interior florescents with warmer color led strips...

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
3/25/18 8:28 a.m.

I don't know why I hadn't thought of doing this for lighting my attic and my part storage in crawl space. You're a freaking genius.

heathercarter
heathercarter New Reader
9/25/19 4:03 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

That is something that we are working on and hope that we can get it going really soon. For my [canoeing] I am looking to use [epoxy] as it works best for this instance and its durability.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uWkpRsQBJw92bXbCukGxOhxkuFBkf4Vold9NmRspFJU9HfktZ4bhMD4Tl4w9o3gg