1 2
RedGT
RedGT Reader
5/17/16 3:39 p.m.

That's true everywhere he goes. I was within 0.017 on Saturday and I was ECSTATIC. But the thing about pros is there's...two courses...and I totally sucked at the other one all weekend :(

revrico
revrico GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/17/16 4:03 p.m.

As far as I have seen so far, I'm the only car in my local STS. Which is fine for my first year as a novice and trying to learn. I wasn't even going to run for points this year, just fun, but might as well make it count. The best advice I've been given so far is STOP working on the car(aside from regular maintenance) and work on the driver this year. Learn how to drive on course, then learn the cars limits, and from that, take the off season for upgrades or tuning.

But I have been wondering, if I got say an MS3 or a used MS2, I could do whatever to the tuning? I know there isn't much there to get but I'd like to get what I can, eventually.

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
5/17/16 5:52 p.m.

Not exactly.

The problem with ST rules and megasquirting miatas is that most megasquirted miatas run speed density and require a MAP sensor that you can not add under ST rules (this is the vacuum line you run to the megasquirt)

Specifically for 90-93 miata's the stock manual TPS (that again you have to use for class legal reasons) is just a on/off switch. The later miata's and automatic miata's came with a variable TPS. Also the AFM is a bit weird in it's voltage outputs with something near 4.5V without airflow and near .4V at WOT and at the time I think this required a bit of custom code.

Some of those problems may have been fixed in the last 7 years since I looked at it closely or just running it as a "piggyback" might make it easier to deal with some of those issues now.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
5/17/16 6:01 p.m.

For tuning a 1.6 contact http://aimtuning.com in Indianapolis. There is power to be had from them but apparently it takes some work.

RedGT
RedGT Reader
5/17/16 6:04 p.m.

I believe the current state of things is that you can legally get the midrange power with a piggyback AEM FIC and appropriate harness, however this setup does not let you legally change the rev limiter. You'd need that custom coded megasquirt in order to have both. So right now I have the rev limit ($0.80) but not the power ($800+)

te72
te72 Reader
2/4/19 9:19 p.m.

So, is there a simple breakdown of SCCA classes and what is allowed as far as modifications? I'm considering running my Miata this season, but it's largely stock, for better or worse. Only performance modification I have is an intake snorkel to pull air from the cowl area. Did that simply for the sound, can't say I feel anything different on the butt dyno... so if needed I could easily switch that out.

Miles Wilson
Miles Wilson Reader Services
2/5/19 9:13 a.m.

Unfortunately @te72, the only true source for rules is the comprehensive rule book which is updated and tweaked on a yearly basis.  https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules

Finding out which modifications are allowed means searching for each class and deciphering how the rules are written for it.

te72
te72 Reader
2/5/19 8:54 p.m.

In reply to Miles Wilson :

Oof, that is what I figured the case would be. I appreciate the reply Miles! I tend to build cars for street use first, and race them wherever they'll let me. In doing so, I built a Supra that ended up in SSM... definitely not the place for a car like that. I still have fun, but I really don't think the car could be competitive at my level of driving skill, for now.

Would like to get a set of Fox coilovers for my NB, but don't wanna be put in a prepared class as a result... guess I have some homework to do!

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
2/5/19 10:05 p.m.

In reply to te72 :

NB starts life in ES.

Coilovers sent it to STR where it can run 15x9” wheels, header, intake, tune, seats, and a lot of little odds and ends.  200 tw tires.  Unfortunately it goes up against NC, ND, and S2Ks and it’s an uphill battle.

Next step is CSP where basic aero and 275 series Hoosiers are the way to go.  Lighter flywheel, E85, custom intakes, lots of added lightness.  The NB is actually pretty good here.

Cut off the windshield and you go to FP.

Add a turbo/supercharger and go straight to SSM.

Figure on 10K per tier for something reasonably competitive.

te72
te72 Reader
2/6/19 11:20 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

Wow, now that is some excellent info! Considering I bought it primarily to be an entertaining daily while I was building the Supra, I think I'll simply start out running it as is in ES, see how I like it.

Unfortunately for me, I live at 6500' altitude, so boost is very, very useful, particularly so on smaller engines. I've seen the field of other SSM cars, and while I like the variety, I suspect I'm not driver enough just yet to go there.

Thanks again for the info!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EJgnXvoNIbovEmT9Fmu9XRkmDShjbWOxLpLIjZgK21rm1lzs7Ur5cKIfEhvHg50j