1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/9/13 1:31 p.m.

Call this a little cross-promotion, but I figured this article would interest some of you: https://classicmotorsports.net/articles/depreciation-station-1997-2006-jaguar-xk8/

The basic gist: Right now you can buy a Jag XK8 for pennies on the dollar. No, it's not an autocross ringer, but it could make a neat daily.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/13 1:37 p.m.

I've been thinking about these cars for over a year but, sad to say, $7000 is still too much for me.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
1/9/13 1:52 p.m.

I thought it would be a cool car for my dad to take to the golf course. Turns out he liked the idea of a 911 better after I left my last one with him over a winter in Florida. He got more props/comments from his car-guy neighbors than with his new car. He's been bugging me to buy another one (and of course store it in FL over the winter).

He'd be a rock star going halfsies on an old F-car.

Wonder what manual transmissions would bolt up to that jag engine?

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
1/9/13 1:56 p.m.

But isn't $7k just the start? What about when it breaks? Sometimes the cost isn't in the purchase, but in the ownership, like having to rebuild the engine shortly after you buy a nice Porsche.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
1/9/13 1:59 p.m.

I've only known one person with one of these, and their repair bills were astronomical. As in, more than the used car itself cost. Granted we're more DIY oriented here, but I would prefer to hear at least some positive first hand long-term experience with these before making the plunge.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/9/13 2:02 p.m.
dculberson wrote: I've only known one person with one of these, and their repair bills were astronomical. As in, more than the used car itself cost. Granted we're more DIY oriented here, but I would prefer to hear at least some positive first hand long-term experience with these before making the plunge.

Look at Jag Lovers for more on them.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/9/13 2:09 p.m.

A Superchanged XJR can be had with 370HP and 100,000+ miles for similar coin. Nice.

cutter67
cutter67 Reader
1/9/13 2:10 p.m.

i have a good friend that has the base model 2002 and he DD it from new just hit 220k on it and has performed flawless. he is getting a new one and guess who has first chance to buy the old one . the owner of the company i work for his wife has the XKR limited addition model (which is bad to the bone) with 20k on it without one problem so far. Jaguar is a good car always has been to me.

David S. Wallens
1/9/13 2:11 p.m.
Woody wrote: I've been thinking about these cars for over a year but, sad to say, $7000 is still too much for me.

You know, I have seen some down here for way less than $7k.

cutter67
cutter67 Reader
1/9/13 2:27 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
Woody wrote: I've been thinking about these cars for over a year but, sad to say, $7000 is still too much for me.
You know, I have seen some down here for way less than $7k.

i wish i would see them for under 7k and for way less i would be owning them

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo HalfDork
1/9/13 2:37 p.m.

In reply to cutter67:

I just looked (GRM effect), there's one here, 1 owner, no accidents, leather seats and steering wheel need some attention but it's less than $5k

David S. Wallens
1/9/13 2:42 p.m.

I found this one advertised for $2800: http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/3467086917.html

I have no idea if it's legit or what.

There's another one down there for $6800: http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/3486945959.html

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
1/9/13 2:42 p.m.

I assumed that parts would be expensive for these, but a cursory check revealed that they aren't that bad.

David S. Wallens
1/9/13 2:49 p.m.

By the way, I should add that each issue of Classic Motorsports features that Depreciation Station bit. It's alway a late-model exotic (or similar) that can now be called a strong buy. The next issue features the 996-chassis Porsche GT3--was $100k, now $50k. Some cars featured go for more, some for less. Either way, it's always something that could be called a deal.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/9/13 2:50 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: I assumed that parts would be expensive for these, but a cursory check revealed that they aren't that bad.

Also a lot of parts can be bought from Ford and they are cheaper. Window motors come to mind.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
1/9/13 3:07 p.m.

I was looking into these quite heavily wne I bought my Mustang. The 2002-up versions are the best, with fewer problems overall (better timing chain guides, etc). It turns out, they are about like my 740iL for problem areas, except with stronger cooling systems. lol! Timing chains are problematic on the earlier ones, and the convertible tops have some hydraulic pressure issues, Both condtions are easily dealt with and can have strong, reliable cars fo ryears. I still want a supercharged convertible one, maybe as a replacement for my Mustang now that the 2002-2005 versions are getting under $18k for well cared for examples.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/9/13 3:46 p.m.

Good Friend has and R type. I just went out of warranty so he took it back to the dealer and had them change around the pulleys and tweak the computer. Before it was a fast car now it is getting in to scary fast territory.

SEADave
SEADave New Reader
1/9/13 3:53 p.m.

I was behind a nice XKR this morning coming into work and I was actually wondering what those were going for now. Beautiful car, it kinda looks like a grown-up NB Miata coupe, which I actually mean as a compliment!

I believe Peter Egan actually just got himself a convertible.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
1/9/13 5:49 p.m.

There is a convert on our local cl for 6k, it was listed at 7 for quite awhile and they just dropped it. I've been peeping it....

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
1/9/13 5:57 p.m.

Nail meet Head, $7k OBO.

1997 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - $7000 (Atlanta) http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/3510333730.html

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
1/9/13 6:08 p.m.

There's a coupe locally for under $2k, and it needs "engine work".

There's already a kit to put an LS1 in these, and it lets you use the factory gauges.
http://www.jaguarspecialties.com/XK8-LSx.asp I believe the price was $1400 for the kit.

Just saying.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/9/13 6:17 p.m.

I looked at these as an academic exercise a while back. I figured that even if it was broken, I could just sip a drink and stare at it for an hour every day.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/9/13 6:32 p.m.

Dang, I just looked and saw a few 99-2000 range in the 80K miles range for 7K I've been thinking of getting comfy car. hummmm

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
1/9/13 6:39 p.m.

I've heard that recent model Jags are less trouble prone than their German counterparts. My guess would be that the Germans are having more reliability issues more so than the Jags are improving. But its just hear-say, and I could be totally wrong.

I do like the styling of current Jags more than pretty much anything being made today.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
1/9/13 6:58 p.m.

Absolutely unbelievable. I see V8 S class MBs, 7 series Bimmers, 12 cylinder Jags, Porsche 928s and so on at the bone yard sitting right next to the Honda Civics and Kias all the time. It's simply shocking that people don't take better care of these expensive cars.............or maybe it's because they are so expensive to take care of. At any rate the interiors and bodies are typically in very good condition so it must be mechanical.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PJYjBTAoNerHocf8nSARYcUbxE5XfARnUfDWUNMwDTtEsADaVqDWeSiitbUyEOhR