74Apollo
74Apollo New Reader
1/21/10 10:57 a.m.

I am reinstalling the bumpers on my '74 Apollo. It has been a couple years since I have seen the car with bumpers and don't remeber it as being so hideous. It will look alright if I can tuck the bumpers in a couple inches. Has anyone depressurized bumper shocks from this era? I am worried about an explosive release. Thanks in advance for the advice.

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy Reader
1/21/10 4:46 p.m.

I've never done it, but on my defunct BMW E21 site I'd posted instructions someone gave me on how to depressurize the bumper shocks. Basically, you drill a hole through the outer housing on each side, compress the shock (letting the fluid squeeze out), and once compressed you drill through the inner part and bolt it together in the compressed position.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/21/10 4:58 p.m.

Mythbusters did exploding bumper shocks. The only way they could get them to blow was to fill them with black powder. Even heating them with a torch wouldn't build enough pressure to make them blow.

74Apollo
74Apollo New Reader
1/22/10 6:05 p.m.

Thanks. I think I'll try it. Seems that would be easier than fabricating a bracket.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
1/22/10 7:17 p.m.

+1 on drill a hole and push them in. Worked great on my 79 Rabbit.

Kramer
Kramer HalfDork
1/22/10 11:59 p.m.

I've drilled a hole into 1974 bumper shocks many times. Don't worry about it. When you break through, there will be a minor woosh, but nothing to worry about. Wear goggles.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/23/10 4:10 a.m.

yes. bumper shocks are not under any sort of hydrolic pressure.. and after 35 years, how much could there still be if they were?

pitbull113
pitbull113 New Reader
1/23/10 3:33 p.m.

drill the hole and after you compress the the shock the desired length tack weld it in a couple of spots so if you get hit the welds will break and the shock will compress

Varkwso
Varkwso Reader
1/24/10 6:42 a.m.

Working on a 1978 Nova we had come to the same conclusion - the front bumper needs to be tucked!

btp76
btp76 Reader
1/24/10 10:30 a.m.

A trick I've used on 74 Novas is to take out the rear bumper shocks altogether. The bumper will bolt on with out them. FYI, 73 bumpers don't have shocks. If you can find one it might be an easier mod. 74 bumpers are HEAVY.

74Apollo
74Apollo New Reader
2/11/10 11:44 a.m.

Thanks every one. Weather has been crappy, maybe this week end.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/11/10 10:18 p.m.

My parents one had an Apollo. I can't remember the last time I saw one.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0d05QpHdF7BTGwqkKfLXQ1IWddvOw4RTOwP6cRR7iJNiXgVlluyoeZX6oMJuSXWt