Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
2/7/19 1:07 p.m.

This article is from a past issue of the magazine. Like stories like this? You’ll see every article as soon as it's published, and get access to our full digital archive, by subscribing to Grassroots Motorsports. Subscribe now.

Story and Photos by Carl Heideman

Certain projects seem to instill anxiety in even the most hardcore enthusiasts. Wiring probably takes top prize in this category, with brake plumbing running a close second.

What makes brake plumbing such a headache? We strongly believe it’s the quality of the tools. Most brake tools are just junk, and junk tools create junk results. It’s just that simple.

We’ve successfully bent up hundreds of brake lines over the years. Our main secret? We don’t use bending tools. Instead, we’ve invested those funds in a high-quality flaring tool. To learn the rest of our secrets, just follow along as we make a brake line for one of our project cars.

Read the rest of the story

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
2/8/19 8:45 a.m.

Hey Thanks Carl you are the best, we have our Jensey Healey challenge car we have to plum. Karl

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
2/8/19 11:15 a.m.

I know good tools are useful and last a while but; what would you suggest in lieu of the really nice looking $450 dollar hydraulic flaring tool I'm only likely to use for 3 or 4 jobs?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Digital Experience Director
2/8/19 11:24 a.m.

Carl's recommendation is listed in the article. Item f.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
2/8/19 1:50 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Woops. Read the main body, went back to look up the tool, got sticker shocked, and didn't scroll down.

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
2/8/19 3:58 p.m.

And I highly recommend the Ridgid one over the ones that look like the one in the picture below.    
Flaring Tool Ad

It seems like these are available in many places for $15-75 and they have a lot of minor differences that make them much less effective.

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
2/8/19 7:38 p.m.

I have the big Eastwood flare tool and love it.

That said, it ain't cheap. I got tired of dealing with leaking flares - tool budget doesn't count against the project, right? 

_
_ Reader
2/9/19 4:54 p.m.

What is the fail on the harbor freight version? Can it be tweaked to work right?

Our Preferred Partners
2kOHdJxxj2ONoaZh8W05zVcDJI3fEzzKz9JW8eUUI34XqsthVYdWV5oxuhG1aPTM