DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
9/1/17 11:36 a.m.

So I came about an ITA prepped scirocco by way of trading track time for it. It had fuel issues and traced it down to the awesomely complex fuel system. We discussed going to Weber side drafts but for less than the price of the wieners we can pick up a 1.8t and invest the rest into megasquirt. VWs are foreign to me so I'm looking for suggestions and inputs and either one of these ideas.

Current engine is an 8v 1.6 counterflow.

Proposed swap is a 1.8t that has the immobilzer

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
9/1/17 11:37 a.m.

Webers* not weiners!

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/17 11:46 a.m.

If you go MegaSquirt, the immobilizer is not a problem since you'll be replacing the electronics.

If you keep the donor's electronics, including the dash, you can run the 1.8T on its stock electronics.

I'm guessing you're not going to be racing in ITA, since an engine swap like that is probably not legal for the class.

Nothing really special about the VW stuff when it comes to MegaSquirt, install the sensors, wiring, etc. Set the base tune, get it started and tune, tune, tune!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/17 11:47 a.m.

K Jetronic is pretty complex in that it is not a totally electronic injection nor is it purely mechanical. I would look for airleaks.. lots and lots of airleaks

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
9/1/17 12:33 p.m.

In reply to Stefan:

Thank you! We are going to do AER/Chump/WRL with the car. My buddy doing all the work has really done a great job on restoring the car and this is something we've been mulling over for a while sob taking to the forums

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
9/1/17 12:46 p.m.

The K-Jet injectors themselves are not electrically triggered. All injection timing comes from the fuel distributor.

So step 1 is to find a set of injectors that fit those holes and are electrically triggered, or modify or replace the intake manifold so that electrical injectors fit.

Stefan
9/1/17 7:02 p.m.

Luckily, you can nab the EFI hard parts from a newer version of that motor and combine them with MegaSquirt to shortcut getting things up and running.

You can then work on the 1.8T swap at your leisure.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
9/1/17 7:16 p.m.

In reply to EvanR:

For the 1.8t or the 1.6?

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
9/1/17 7:18 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222:

I'm not well-versed enough in things VW to answer your question, but it's kind of obvious by looking at the injectors on whatever engine you choose. If there aren't electrical connectors on them, MS won't work with them.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
9/2/17 4:31 a.m.

There isnt any "injection timing" really, the k-jet injectors open up around 20psi then really squirt at 80psi or whatever the max psi is, itvis a constant injection depending on fuel pressure.

There really isnt much going on, fuel pump to fuel accumulator to control pressure regulator(warm up regulator) to fuel distributor to injectors. You need to trouble shoot the various fuel pressures to make everything play nice. These fuel systems are very sensitive to contamination and proper fuel pressures. What is the problem exactly?

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
9/2/17 10:18 a.m.

The poster stated the car was an "ITA" car but SCCA places all 8V Scriocco's in ITB. The 16V versions were placed in ITA but were allowed to move to ITB a couple of years ago. They did add weight to the car to slow it down. I know this as I own and race a 16V 1988 Scriocco. I run in it ITA because I don't want to add the weight to run in "B" and lose to the other "B" cars that I can barely beat now! A 8V Scriocco in "B" should be competitive and at faster tracks where better aero helps the cleaner body of the "8v" over the 16V makes it even better.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/2/17 4:05 p.m.
benzbaronDaryn wrote: There isnt any "injection timing" really, the k-jet injectors open up around 20psi then really squirt at 80psi or whatever the max psi is, itvis a constant injection depending on fuel pressure. There really isnt much going on, fuel pump to fuel accumulator to control pressure regulator(warm up regulator) to fuel distributor to injectors. You need to trouble shoot the various fuel pressures to make everything play nice. These fuel systems are very sensitive to contamination and proper fuel pressures. What is the problem exactly?

This is truth. Get a CIS fuel pressure guage/tester and start with the basics. Get the Bosch bible and a good repair manual. It can be fixed and made to run properly and reliably. Most people just don't have the patience for these systems.

Stefan
9/2/17 4:41 p.m.

Here's a link to a good list of stuff to get for a MegaSquirt conversion using the stock intake:

Megasquirt and the stock VW intake manifold a good Throttle Body and TPS combo

If you don't want to find a Weber Redline large bore throttle body, you can find an early VW Passat Automatic throttle body, which fits the same as the stock throttle body, but has a TPS built into it.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
9/3/17 7:56 p.m.
jimbbski wrote: The poster stated the car was an "ITA" car but SCCA places all 8V Scriocco's in ITB. The 16V versions were placed in ITA but were allowed to move to ITB a couple of years ago. They did add weight to the car to slow it down. I know this as I own and race a 16V 1988 Scriocco. I run in it ITA because I don't want to add the weight to run in "B" and lose to the other "B" cars that I can barely beat now! A 8V Scriocco in "B" should be competitive and at faster tracks where better aero helps the cleaner body of the "8v" over the 16V makes it even better.

Well when we picked it up it had huge "ITA" stickers on it.

We aren't running it in SCCA.

We are ditching the 1.6. We found a 1.8t that was a good deal and going that way forward. So now the fun with MS.

The problem is we replaced a pump, purged for air in the system, changed injectors, realized how German engineered that system is and said carbs make more sense. Then realized a 1.8t gives us more power. Here we are.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/4/17 8:29 a.m.

What MS are you using?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wKFfuQM99ReGuGlkbHoc4x31xSfbLHuphIMZWnnuY6hxouRlrZ7VDtYDE7H9iQ0Z