ccrelan
ccrelan Reader
11/17/18 6:35 p.m.

Hi everyone- I went to check out this car today and subsequently found a couple older online pieces about the same exact car.

https://jalopnik.com/5543171/for-8500-86-v8-volvo-hauls-kids-and-ass?fbclid=IwAR33kKDcacHyjTXPhudYdO1uWeGGOLwYW4OKycyKWH6eHMycZELg1w42HvU

and 

http://www.dailyturismo.com/2013/01/5k-1986-volvo-740-wagon-with-lt1t56.html?fbclid=IwAR3pd69FldBBSTfVvWqy6qBg2nk7v50p8PTFoW9-GQFbf0W6Gay-FWCgpDQ

The car had a dead battery from sitting.  Seller went to the store, popped in the battery and it fired right up.  The exterior was the same electric blue that you see in the two listings and had 16" hydra wheels.  The front seats had been redone, but the rest of the interior was pretty ratty.   There was a large hole in the front of the exhaust so it sounded like a nascar racer.  The power steering pump was remotely mounted and reservoir seemed to have a leak and no fluid was in there.  I believe he said it was a Camaro piece.  The car ran, shifted, and went well.  There was a small area under the driver floor where the metal seemed weak.

The seller has what looked to be near new STI and E92 M3 so this car has not been used much.  I know the LT1 engines are a bit passe' these days with the LS series, but I believe the car could be had for pretty short money. The seller has no space for it and is looking to buy a house.   He was asking 5 grand, but said he was very flexible on price.  I was thinking half of that may be close to getting the car.

With a little work, this is a pretty badass car.  What say you all regarding finding interior parts and older 740's in general?  It seems that any later 740 or 940 interior parts can be interchanged.  

Thanks in advance!

Erich
Erich UberDork
11/17/18 7:05 p.m.

Stock 740s are still not worth a whole lot even in fantastic shape, and the interiors wore relatively well except for the hard plastics. 

It shouldn't be too hard to find 740/940 interior pieces to make it great. I bet the seats swap straight out all the way up to the late 90s V90. 

If you can get it for $3,000 or less I'd say it's a decent deal. 

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/18 7:44 p.m.

I would probably go in at 2k and pay no more than 3k. Interior stuff is easy to find.

ccrelan
ccrelan Reader
11/18/18 6:36 a.m.

Why are 740's less desirable?  Is an early 4 eyes version any less desirable than the later cars?

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/18/18 7:45 a.m.

Seems like a good deal to me at that kind of price. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/18 7:53 a.m.

You’re bordering on a $2000 transmission in front of a 300hp v8.  Camaros used a remote reservoir on the power steering, parts should be not impossible to find.  

Barring any rust issues, i think 4k is probably the very high end if the only issues you’ll deal with are the exhaust and power steering leak.  , i’m cheap so I’d rather pay 2500-3.  Add rust or unclean wiring and I’m coming down to 2.  I really doubt someone is going to take 40% of their asking price

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
11/18/18 7:58 a.m.

The price is make or break.  Manual trans+V8 is awesome and could be swapped into a cleaner shell pretty easy.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/18/18 9:30 a.m.

$4,000 would be my limit. But I overpay for things I find awesome. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
11/18/18 9:37 a.m.

V8 Volvo wagon is never a bad idea. Get it. 

SPORTCHRONO
SPORTCHRONO Reader
11/18/18 1:14 p.m.

V8 + MT in a Volvo wagon? Plz buy immediately. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2LMs1bWdMGTMEWAdT1GAbax2VAVdOmfKjfGxNg0I3YQ9UaWbLsougCGBNG9yTaTG