1 2
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/25/16 8:36 a.m.

That's an expensive and rare transmission to put into a mild street car with stock rear end.

I had an interview at Richmond once and saw a cutaway, the GM said "Yeah, we're trying to let that die on the vine", so I'm not sure if that's a good thing to have in the car or not. It was a good piece, but parts may not be around forever.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/25/16 11:52 p.m.

I know someone who got that knee surgury for a dog. $5500 per knee. And then the dog died six months later because it was old as hell.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/26/16 9:09 a.m.

This guy just had knee surgery on one of his dogs. This is about 6 months after doing the other rear knee. He doesn't have kids or a significant other, so his dogs are his family.

Chris

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
7/26/16 9:19 a.m.

that's exactly what I'd want to build for CAM....

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/26/16 9:38 a.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Why haven't you bought it already?

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
7/26/16 10:44 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Why haven't you bought it already?

I can't believe the OP or anyone else on this board hasn't bought this yet. I would buy it myself if it was not 3000+ miles away. Between the trailer, the clean IROC body and all the expensive drivetrain parts it's a no-lose situation. You could finish the IROC or use the parts in another project and sell it as a roller.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
7/26/16 10:47 a.m.

You already know my vote...

When are you bringing this thing home?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/26/16 10:49 a.m.

I sort of want a second or third gen F body, but the problem is I just want the shape. I want a gen III engine, a better rear end, a lighter front end, better front suspension...

I feel like if I bought one and had money it would turn into the MG V12 thread. Maybe the best F body for me is just the cowl and roof.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
7/26/16 11:11 a.m.

In reply to tuna55:

All of that is do-able. They make EVERYTHING for these cars now.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
7/26/16 11:11 a.m.

I don't think I could in good conscience get a deal like that from a friend in a jam, just to turn around and flip it for my own profit...Unless maybe if he was ok with it and we split the profits. At the very least though, I'd buy it with the condition that my friend retains right of first refusal, at a discounted price, whenever I did decide to sell it. But I would probably jump on that kind of deal for something fun and interesting for a while, if it was at all reasonable for me to do so, even if it's not exactly the kind of car I'd want to keep long term.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/26/16 1:58 p.m.

I don't think he cares if I flip it. I really don't know why he doesn't part it out at the very least, but he does live on an island. So maybe doing so is that much more difficult that he doesn't want to go through the effort. I really do want the trailer and have the means to do the deal, but I don't really want a Camaro. I could just flip it for a free trailer.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
7/26/16 2:03 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: I don't think he cares if I flip it. I really don't know why he doesn't part it out at the very least, but he does live on an island. So maybe doing so is that much more difficult that he doesn't want to go through the effort. I really do want the trailer and have the means to do the deal, but I don't really want a Camaro. I could just flip it for a free trailer.

No one knows they want a Camaro until they have a Camaro. Embrace your inner mullet for at least a little while before you flip it.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/26/16 2:26 p.m.

Oh I've adorned a mullet in my day. My son's found an old picture of me with a mullet, and made their own Pokémon card called mulletman.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/16 4:51 p.m.

Huh. I wrote a treatise this morning on why the Richmond 6-speed and the 5+1 are both superior transmissions for swapping into older cars vs. the T56 and its variants. And it was deleted.

I smell conspiracy!

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
7/26/16 7:12 p.m.

This car would be a blast to drive, it has the factory IROC looks but with a nice engine/trans package. Rear end swap away. I'd skip the sticky tires on this one, and set up an account for rear tires due to smoky burnouts and sideways power shifts.

If you don't want a Camaro, you are just in denial.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/26/16 8:54 p.m.

I don't want a Camaro, but then again I don't not want a Camaro.

By the way the seller says the rear axles are usually good up to about 400 horsepower. True?

Nick (picaso) Comstock
Nick (picaso) Comstock UltimaDork
7/26/16 9:35 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605:

If that 400hp comes with only 250 or so torques.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/28/16 11:20 a.m.

Seller mentioned that he won't part out the car as it is too much hassle with shipping of large parts, and his location on an island. He suggested I buy it from him, and part it out(his words), and then I would have a free trailer, and probably some cake too.

He suggested I get it running, and sell it to another friend of ours that wants a generation 1 Camaro, but possibly wants a more modern drivetrain. This isn't an LS-Juan, but it should motivate an older Camaro just fine.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
7/28/16 12:53 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: Seller mentioned that he won't part out the car as it is too much hassle with shipping of large parts, and his location on an island. He suggested I buy it from him, and part it out(his words), and then I would have a free trailer, and probably some cake too. He suggested I get it running, and sell it to another friend of ours that wants a generation 1 Camaro, but possibly wants a more modern drivetrain. This isn't an LS-Juan, but it should motivate an older Camaro just fine.

Step 3: Sell the rolling chassis to me for like $500 so I can stuff a 6.0L in there!

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/28/16 12:56 p.m.

Step 4: profit

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gTa671jj5mouYk4TJmzCnK6DzKCzzdEEZW9jfwD4zm43j6WtlicpEQbp2KibNN4R