72SuperBrian
72SuperBrian Reader
5/31/09 1:44 p.m.

Is there anything that can be done to make a Mercedes 560SEC drive more like, say, a BMW 5-series?

Here's what I'm thinking:

• Eliminate self-levelling rear suspension
  • Quality Bilstein or Koni dampers
  • H&R "sport" springs (because that's all that I can find)
  • AMG sway bars (if I can find them and if they really exist)
  • 1980's-vintage 3pc 17" AMG wheels (I've already got 'em and they look damn cool)

That still won't address the numb steering, but it may be a start.

I know this is a stretch. I bought the car in non-running condition, then I restored it. Now it's done and I think it drives like a Buick. I love how it looks, but hate how it drives.

Can anything be done or should I just sell it and take it as a lesson to never again restore something that I've never driven but think is cool looking?

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
5/31/09 2:09 p.m.

I think if you buy the set of c126 DOT headlights from me it will drive way better. I need to get rid of them and everyone ends up using the euro lights instead.

Mercedes did build a race car SEC but I don't think they ever ran it and used the 190E cosworth instead. I have an article about it, maybe I could see if they mention what modifications they did.

If you look and lurk on 126 forums you should be able to find some information regarding upgrading the suspension.

I drive the predecessor to the SEC an Slc and the car can handle, but you have to show it who the boss is. I'd get the car together and throw it through some curves and see how it handles. Good luck and cool car, I love the mercedes coupes.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury HalfDork
5/31/09 2:15 p.m.
72SuperBrian wrote: That still won't address the numb steering, but it may be a start. k. I love how it looks, but hate how it drives. Can anything be done or should I just sell it and take it as a lesson to never again restore something that I've never driven but think is cool looking?

frame stiffening?

better corner rubber?

Urethane bushings?

Stiffer motor/trans mounts?

add lightness?

devil is in the details...but Im no Benz-xpert, so maybe I am going nowhere with this. It just always seems those mods are typically as effective if not more effective than the bazillion dollar pillowball coilovers and adjustable control arms blah blah

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
5/31/09 4:44 p.m.

There is a guy that tracks one that has a bunch of videos posted on youtube. Im pretty sure the H&R springs will be no where near stiff enough, but other than that you probably have the right idea.

72SuperBrian
72SuperBrian Reader
5/31/09 5:19 p.m.
Travis_K wrote: Im pretty sure the H&R springs will be no where near stiff enough

Does anyone know of any other springs that are available?

I've heard about "AMG springs" and "AMG sway bars"...but I can't find them.

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
5/31/09 10:47 p.m.

Ask these guys.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/

gamby
gamby SuperDork
5/31/09 11:49 p.m.
72SuperBrian wrote: - Eliminate self-levelling rear suspension - Quality Bilstein or Koni dampers - H&R "sport" springs (because that's all that I can find) - AMG sway bars (if I can find them and if they really exist) - 1980's-vintage 3pc 17" AMG wheels (I've already got 'em and they look damn cool)

I'd sure like to see that.

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/1/09 10:02 a.m.

That right there is on my "to own" list. Those cars with some AMG flares and deep dish wheels are sooooo sexy.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
6/1/09 10:11 a.m.
81gtv6 wrote: That right there is on my "to own" list. Those cars with some AMG flares and deep dish wheels are sooooo sexy.

Yeah, the blue one that Swayze drove in Road House was the coolness.

72SuperBrian
72SuperBrian Reader
6/1/09 3:47 p.m.

My car is exactly the same color as the Swayze/Road House SEC. To look at, it is, indeed the coolness.

To drive, however, it's...well...HEAVY and kinda ponderous.

I've re-adjusted my goal a little - instead of shooting for 5-series BMW dynamics, I'd be happy if it were to drive somewhat like a BMW 740 Sport...

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
6/1/09 5:19 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmuCnMRxmt4 There is a dead (well it supposedly still runs, but it doesnt get driven) 380sec sitting in my neighbors driveway. Watching that video makes me want to go ask him if he will sell it. lol There are plenty of 560sels I could get the engine from for $200 in the junkyard.

72SuperBrian
72SuperBrian Reader
6/1/09 5:58 p.m.

Travis, that video was awesome.

Seriously, though, don't do it!

I bought my car not running... I got it running and then without even having driven it I stripped it to the bare shell, got the body laser-beam straight, painted it in top quality PPG, replaced the cracked dash (not a dash cap - I swapped the dash), polished all of the aluminum and stainless trim, replaced all the weatherseals, swapped in European headlights and eliminated the headlight wipers.

Now I'm waaaayyyyy too far into it financially - which wouldn't bother me at all if I liked how it drove...

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
6/1/09 6:45 p.m.

I pretty much figured out that wouldnt be a good idea to do. lol Right now a fiat x1.9 would probably be the only car id seriously think about buying for a project like that.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lTBrYlVo8XA6AjGol14R22So0jEhHwkPIeI37WrhWpzzObz62Wz4bBElTZGYDxpv