1 2
JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
6/7/13 12:07 p.m.

There a few swaps that are well documented. I am in the process (s-l-o-w) of getting mine torn apart. Trying to figure out which way that I want to go with it.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/7/13 12:39 p.m.
erm87 wrote: I appreciate all the insight folks and while I was excited about the idea of an $1800 beater. I think I may pass until I can get a place to store and work on a project car properly. Somewhere out there is the beater for me and one day it will be mine... (then again, in a few days I may be posting that I bought it anyways...)

You can get "beaters" cheaper than that, but the 1st gen MR2s are a lot of fun.

A place to store and work on any beater will make it easier and more fun,so you've probably made the right decision at this time. Just let us all know when (and what) you get and keep us informed...

t25torx
t25torx Reader
6/7/13 12:57 p.m.

There's a nice little episode of Wheeler Dealers on this car. Apparently the alternator is a a pretty known failure point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37nzKnFmaLc

erm87
erm87 New Reader
6/7/13 2:03 p.m.

Abandoning ship on this one. He has title in hand, but he never had it signed over to himself.

Apparently previous owners dropped it off for repairs, then decided not to pay, so they just gave him the title.

If I sign my name on the dotted line, it's mine, but it's like he never touched it. Granted I doubt the original owners are going to track me down over an '87 MR2, but still.

This is in NC and I want to drive it in SC.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/7/13 4:28 p.m.

The price just went way down. Offer him $400 for it due to the title "issue"

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/7/13 4:31 p.m.

Maybe i'm missing something.... If the previous owners signed the title, what's the problem?

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
6/7/13 4:40 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Maybe i'm missing something.... If the previous owners signed the title, what's the problem?

I'm with you. If the previous owner signed it, you have no issues at all. Dealers do this all the time.

As for the MR2, I'm prejudice, but I love these things. I've owned maybe a half dozen gen 1's, and built an ITA out a '86. I've also owned a few Miata's, and in truth, like the MR2 better. Nice ones are getting hard to find though. I sold my brother my last '85, and really, really want to buy it back.

erm87
erm87 New Reader
6/7/13 5:25 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: Maybe i'm missing something.... If the previous owners signed the title, what's the problem?
I'm with you. If the previous owner signed it, you have no issues at all. Dealers do this all the time.

Ok, maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Please humor me (I've never bought a used car off craigslist)...

If the previous owners signed it, but the signature is left blank, then I signed it over to me is there ANY way that can bite me in the ass when I go to get a temp tag from NC to drive it back to SC?

If that all goes smoothly then I should have no trouble registering in SC.

Edit: I feel silly. Sorry for all the back and forth, but I'm going to check it out on Sunday. Thanks for all the info and patience for this newb.

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
6/7/13 6:15 p.m.

Previous owner signed it away and the next spot is blank? Should be fine. I agree, start an offer like $900 and maybe meet in the middle at $1400?

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
6/7/13 6:18 p.m.

Is there ANY way it can bite you in the ass? Yes, theoretically. Not sure what NC tag places are like, but here in PA if you had one that demanded a notarized bill of sale from the persons' name on the title, you could have trouble. But typically, you won't have that. I've bought several cars where the person just signed it and handed it to me. Never had a problem.

t25torx
t25torx Reader
6/7/13 6:26 p.m.

I have sold on many a car where I never put my name on the title. The other owner signed it over to me and when i sold it on the next owner signed it when they went to register it. Knock on wood I never had any issues.

M3Loco
M3Loco Reader
6/7/13 10:36 p.m.

Negotiate..

I'm in the 7th week of ownership of my MK1 87. Got a great deal on it.. Search my history for the story. It's going to be our rally-x, auto-x, and beater DD.

I have garage space and could afford to have it take some time to build. Since then, I've done the following:

• Resealed the oil pan and painted it (Cone orange)
  • Replaced oil cooler lines and clamps
  • Replaced the dizzy o-ring
  • Valve Cover Gasket, dizzy cap, rotor, plugs, wires, oil, oil filter, air filter.
  • Removed rusted muffler (getting a straight pipe welded in)

Yet to do before driving:

• Brake pads, and SS lines and fluid flush
  • Spedo cable
  • Shifter bushing

Does anyone want to come over to help me set the timing on it? I didn't get the dizzy on right.

Enjoy!

erm87
erm87 New Reader
6/8/13 8:05 p.m.

Wisdom of the interwebs says this isn't a good idea for me at this time. They are beautiful cars and one day I hope to own one when I have time/money/garage space to work on one.

I've changed direction completely and now I'm trying to track down a 1st gen Neon R/T.

Thanks a lot guys. Glad to be finally more than a lurker!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rH2SHnQ65i2ZNNQNT2CJhifcUWARUNbYjBuFTWR8hVFoQQfMhGkyDOXXZWFMkrSt