Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/15/20 5:06 p.m.

I'm going to look at a 8.8 Friday. It's been put into a custom application to not like I could just duplicate it with a junkyard 8.8 easily. The owner says that he "took out the mini spool because he was planning on putting in a full spool."  My question is could I just get a junkyard LSD and drop it in?  Am I going to have to set lash and all that?  I'm more of a hammer guy than a  measure thousands of inch guy. Anything I should really look for?

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/20 5:07 p.m.

Don't do it.  Also if you do it, please don't let me buy it from you.  Also yes it will need set up, which requires more than a hammer.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/15/20 5:11 p.m.

Assuming the customization is limited to the outside of the housing for mounting purposes, a mini-spool would have lived inside a OE open differential carrier. Full spool would replace the OE carrier.

Unless things have been mucked with, an OE LS carrier should go back in without issue. You should check all lash and roll a pattern to insure the best possible result.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/15/20 5:19 p.m.

Do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/15/20 5:20 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

As I told you we have a sickness. At least I know who has first dibs on it. 

Will
Will UltraDork
1/15/20 5:29 p.m.

I've heard some people say that if you don't swap the gears and leave the pinion depth alone, you can get away without setting lash. But I don't know how true that is. Your ears will probably tell you if it's BS.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/15/20 10:58 p.m.
Stampie said:

Anything I should really look for?

Axle spline count

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DLx9hTp90dc4sxlmZXXwBvpKIVfjye8NwBjnmsl9QeXQ3NSQHcrJittaCkmURtTP