EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/18/09 8:32 p.m.

I am going to be putting a new engine in my civic. I was thinking about just dropping another D16 in it but are there any other easy cheap swaps that would be better?

AutoXR
AutoXR New Reader
3/18/09 8:52 p.m.

Get a D16Z6.. Lots of potential.

Just need a conversion harness..

EvanB
3/18/09 8:54 p.m.

Forgot to mention, it is a Si if that makes a difference with the harness.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
3/18/09 9:58 p.m.

You don't need a conversion harness unless you want to convert to OBD1.

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/18/09 10:16 p.m.

I think he means from DPFI to MPFI.

I had a '90 DX with DPFI. I swapped it to multiport FI, converted to OBD1 and got an Si trans, along with a D16A6 block with a D16Z6 head (this combo is called a mini-me in Honda world). Basically it's a D16Z6 with less dish to the pistons which results in 10:1 compression instead of the stock 9.2:1 compression of the Z6. I used the stock OBD1 Vtec ECU. I managed a best of 15.2 @ 90mph run at the local drag strip last summer with that combo.

What's wrong with the current engine?

You can piece together a very cheap turbo kit that will make it pretty quick, but if you're looking to keep it N/A if I had to do it again I'd keep it non-Vtec and go with "P29" pistons (out of 1st generation integras) which can be found for under $150 for a complete rebuild kit with pistons and toss in a entry level cam (so you can keep the stock valvesprings)

http://www.zealautowerks.com/dseries.html

You can play around on there to find what combo of OEM heads/blocks/pistons will give you the compression you are looking for.

EvanB
3/18/09 10:23 p.m.

The engine in it now is missing a number of parts and is of unknown condition. The trans also has a noisy input shaft bearing. I was thinking it would be easier to just drop in another engine.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
3/18/09 10:29 p.m.
Run_Away wrote: ... if I had to do it again I'd keep it non-Vtec and go with "P29" pistons (out of 1st generation integras) which can be found for under $150 for a complete rebuild kit with pistons and toss in a entry level cam (so you can keep the stock valvesprings)

That makes for a fun build that is pump gas friendly. Ends up at 11.1:1. I ran that combination for several years. I've recently converted to E85 and added boost to that combination.

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/18/09 10:39 p.m.

For that input shaft bearing: http://d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14079 There should be part numbers around there too, IIRC they were around $30?

I haven't personally used these guys but if you're considering rebuilding I've heard good things about their kits: http://fjdistributors.com/

EvanB
3/18/09 10:46 p.m.

Well I have never rebuilt an engine but it looks like maybe it is time to learn. What kind of mileage do you get with the 11.1:1 cr? This car is going to be a daily so I'm not sure I want to use premium but if the mileage is as good as the stock civic it might be worth it.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
3/18/09 10:59 p.m.

I don't know. It's a civic. I never calculate mileage. Besides - it drives so fun, that mileage numbers would be skewed lower due to the "step on it" factor.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
3/19/09 8:24 a.m.

That thing is SCREAMING for an LS Vtec. Trust me on this one. You'll still get 30+mpg, because you'll be too scared of it to want to get into the "happy place" on the tach.

But that's just what i'd do, and have done.

I think a high compression D-slammer would be just fine for you, though.

Or a B17 would be boss in that, but good luck finding one.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Reader
3/19/09 10:22 a.m.

CRVTEC aka B20 with B16 or B18C1 heads.

EvanB
3/19/09 10:48 a.m.

I think I will probably stay with a D-series for simplicity since this will just be a daily driver. When i get this roadworthy my Miata is going to be my main project so I want to spend the majority of my money and time on it.

How about a D17? Will it swap into my civic with the same mounts and axles? Will the wiring work since it is OBD2? Is it not even worth considering?

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
3/19/09 11:27 a.m.
EvanB wrote: I think I will probably stay with a D-series for simplicity since this will just be a daily driver. When i get this roadworthy my Miata is going to be my main project so I want to spend the majority of my money and time on it. How about a D17? Will it swap into my civic with the same mounts and axles? Will the wiring work since it is OBD2? Is it not even worth considering?

Not worth considering.... the rest of the answers are "Yes, but not worth considering."

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
3/19/09 11:29 a.m.
96DXCivic wrote: CRVTEC aka B20 with B16 or B18C1 heads.

They're cool.... but the B20 bottom end hates the resulting squish area of the Vtec heads.

I think he needs a "G23 Vtec" but that's another story, and i had my hands full with a 12.5:1 compression LS Vtec in my last CRX, so i can only imagine a G23.

EvanB
3/19/09 12:26 p.m.

G23 Vtec would be nice but I would like to keep this relatively low cost. I will probably just go with a high compression D or maybe just a junkyard turbo kit on a stock D16A6.

abumason
abumason New Reader
3/19/09 10:10 p.m.

google Ben's EF page or maybe it's Ben's EF resource - all the EF swap info you could ever want and not have to wade thru the crap over at honda-tech.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Nl0yUbPsyKGjUh2d8nmrWUbAlwXCb1lmUjreDhX6FcwfoSCkQbdvm1eg0FwHp5NH