Jan. 30, 2013 9:56 p.m.

Looked at a clean 91 Mercede 300TE (gas, wagon) tonight. Owner says it has been losing power progressively over he past few weeks. Ad states, in part: "I bought it and put a new water pump in, new OVP relay, new K&N air filter, transmission filter, plugs, cap/rotor button, fuel filter. Car won't go over 45 mph." I don' tthink it will exceed 35, actually. It starts (with difficulty) and runs. ABS light is on, and cold idle is not smooth, pointing toward the OVP relay, but that did not cure the problem. Idles fine after a minute or so and trans shifts normally. Running and in neutral it starts missing around 2700 rpm and will not rev past 3000. Feels like a fuel delivery problem to me. The timing chain is noisy but I don't think it's jumped time as it is hitting on all six. Owner has a receipt for full exhaust 2 yrs ago so I don't think its a bad cat. I'd like another wagon in my driveway and am looking for ideas about what might ail this one. Interior is near mint, paint is good and It could be had cheap; might be worth a fix if cost effective. Ideas?

m4ff3w UltraDork
Jan. 30, 2013 10:04 p.m.

I was going to guess clogged cat.

Ranger50 UberDork
Jan. 30, 2013 10:07 p.m.

Vacuum gauge.

duetto_67 New Reader
Jan. 30, 2013 10:57 p.m.

compression?

bluesideup Reader
Jan. 30, 2013 11:26 p.m.

I had the exact problem with an Evo and it turned out to be a fuel pump on it's way out. Wouldn't rev over 3000rpm under boost and would barely go over that if you really light footed it. I pulled the fuel feed to the rail and jumped the fuel pump, it took way way too long to fill the bucket.

If only I would have checked the fuel pressure at the rail I could have saved a lot of time. I'm not familiar with the 300TE injection, is it easy to hook up a fuel pressure gauge?

Wally UltimaDork
Jan. 30, 2013 11:54 p.m.

It wishes it were a diesel?

Lugnut Dork
Jan. 31, 2013 9:00 a.m.

Similar to the issue I had on my W126. Replace both fuel pumps, and the fuel pump relay just to be safe. It's POSSIBLE that it's the EZL but start with the fuel pumps.

Jan. 31, 2013 4:29 p.m.

Thanks for the suggestions.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

25 minutes ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

You Need This: Eclipse!

27 minutes ago in News

Today's special.

Your Projects: Boosted and Flared E30 BMW

2 hours ago in News

Another forum member put it best: “This build is absolutely mental. And I mean that in the best possible way.”

You Need This: 1990 Suzuki Carry 4WD Mini-Truck

3 hours ago in News

It looks cool, matches our cargo shorts, and makes little sense.

Concours d’Lemons: Showcasing the Best of the Worst and the Worst of the Best

4 hours ago in Articles

This year’s Concours d’Lemons celebrated two cars rarely associated with the glitz and glamor of Monterey.

You Need This: Gullwing Doors and Exotic Styling for Just $1500

6 hours ago in News

Meet some brown ’70s awesomeness.

Acura Unveils New Prototype Race Car in Monterey

2 days ago in News

Acura yesterday unveiled the new Acura ARX-05 prototype race car.

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

2 days ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Mark Your Calendars: August 18 Is Wear Your Helmet to Work Day

3 days ago in News

Wear your racing gear to work and win prizes.

You Need This: A Real 1LE Camaro

3 days ago in News

Chevy only built 62 1LE Camaros that year.

Little Car Show: Celebrating All Things Quirky and Small

4 days ago in Articles

As the name suggests, the Little Car Show is all about little cars.

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

4 days ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
vf950xuhof8SIZjOmIGignpBdHlgwXNF