1 2 3 4
Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
5/8/12 4:51 p.m.

In reply to oldtin:

You might be right. I always had a contingency plan to part mine out if something major failed. It was worth $2500 as it sat. If a timing belt broke, clutch went out, etc., I was ready to start selling it one bit at a time. I am not sure how much it would be worth though. Phone dial wheels are nearly worthless. Porsche seats switch between models, so they are always worth good money, even if trashed. You can sell brake and suspension pieces to people who want to upgrade lesser models. The shell is worth something to a Spec racer. Not sure what else is worth decent money. But there has to be $2000 in there somehow.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/8/12 4:53 p.m.

I sold the steering wheel for something insane, $250 IIRC? I still have the factory SPORT seats, the new racing buckets, the new front a-arms, the good running 2.5, body is all good, interior is all nice, etc. My BIG ace in the hole is the LSD trans though. I figure I could get $1000 just for that.

EdenPrime
EdenPrime Reader
5/8/12 5:01 p.m.

In reply to Otto Maddox:

The 944's most powerful weapon is it's lightweight, is it not? Wouldn't a V8 compromise that advantage? I would imagine that even a 350 with Aluminum heads, aluminum intake manifold, ect would still weigh considerably more than the 944's original four-cylinder, am i right?

Cotton
Cotton Dork
5/8/12 6:15 p.m.

I've owned two 951s and haven't had to replace a clutch yet, but to say I dread the day it's required is an understatement. I just hope I have my two post lift installed by then. Still the 944T is awesome and it's worth some of the headaches that come along.

I have heard a 3 piece crossmember makes the job easier, of course my car doesn't have one.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/8/12 6:26 p.m.

Good lord, just suck it up and do it. I R&R'd the entire underside of my 924 by myself.

Helped a friend do the clutch in his 924S.

It isn't the end of world, it isn't any harder than a RWD car.

In fact is can be easier, you can usually slide the entire TT and transaxle backward and let the rear torsion bar carrier hold most of the weight.

The tricky part is getting the bell housing botls off and the clutch in/out (clutch solution came from a 911 and works backwards to most cars)

Follow the Clarks-Garage instructions and you'll be fine.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
5/8/12 6:50 p.m.

I'm agreeing with TurboSwede here (a rarity...) Suck it up and get the clutch kit. Gimme a chance to beat the Rock Auto price (I'm not promising I can, but I'll at least look into it for you).

Cotton
Cotton Dork
5/8/12 7:00 p.m.
turboswede wrote: Good lord, just suck it up and do it. I R&R'd the entire underside of my 924 by myself. Helped a friend do the clutch in his 924S. It isn't the end of world, it isn't any harder than a RWD car. In fact is can be easier, you can usually slide the entire TT and transaxle backward and let the rear torsion bar carrier hold most of the weight. The tricky part is getting the bell housing botls off and the clutch in/out (clutch solution came from a 911 and works backwards to most cars) Follow the Clarks-Garage instructions and you'll be fine.

not harder than any other rear wheel drive car?? come on man seriously.

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
5/8/12 7:02 p.m.
Cotton wrote:
turboswede wrote: Good lord, just suck it up and do it. I R&R'd the entire underside of my 924 by myself. Helped a friend do the clutch in his 924S. It isn't the end of world, it isn't any harder than a RWD car. In fact is can be easier, you can usually slide the entire TT and transaxle backward and let the rear torsion bar carrier hold most of the weight. The tricky part is getting the bell housing botls off and the clutch in/out (clutch solution came from a 911 and works backwards to most cars) Follow the Clarks-Garage instructions and you'll be fine.

I can R&R the trans in my Mustang in less than 1/2 hour.

Javelin
5/8/12 7:29 p.m.

In reply to turboswede:

I'm actually not afraid of R&Ring it myself, it's that it's going 4 days before the next race. The 4 month baby at home doesn't help, either

Javelin
5/8/12 7:29 p.m.

In reply to Maroon92:

I'm all ears buddy! The Sachs kit is $525 plus shipping through them.

turboswede
5/9/12 8:34 a.m.
Cotton wrote:

Uh, yeah. You don't have to remove the entire damned transmission. Just slide it back, pull the clutch, clean it all up, put new clutch in, slide it back in place. That's a bit simplified of course, but really the TT just makes the transmission longer so the procedure is very similar between the two.

turboswede
5/9/12 8:36 a.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to turboswede: I'm actually not afraid of R&Ring it myself, it's that it's going 4 days before the next race. The 4 month baby at home doesn't help, either

Good point. Just making sure you weren't seriously considering junking the car over a clutch. :) Good luck with it.

docwyte
docwyte Reader
5/9/12 9:33 a.m.

951S transaxle, quick time LS swap bell housing, Spec LS1/944 stage 2 clutch for this swap. All direct bolt ons. I also could've used the C5 corvette 2 piece bell housing and a machined adapter plate. It would've been lighter and made future clutch changes easier, but I wanted a scatter shield and wasn't keen on a custom machined adapter plate...

A factory NA motor isn't worth that much money, nowhere close enough to pay for LS parts swap stuff. The car as it sits with a bad clutch is worth maybe $1500, probably less.

The car running is worth more, it'll suck to pay someone to do the clutch for you, but overall your car seems to be in good shape. You did replace the timing belt, right?

16vCorey
16vCorey UberDork
5/9/12 9:41 a.m.
turboswede wrote:
Cotton wrote:
Uh, yeah. You don't have to remove the entire damned transmission. Just slide it back, pull the clutch, clean it all up, put new clutch in, slide it back in place. That's a bit simplified of course, but really the TT just makes the transmission longer so the procedure is very similar between the two.

The only way you're sliding the whole thing back is if you drop it down to get past the spare tire well, so if you've already got it disconnected from everything else, why wouldn't you just take the four bolts that fasten it to the torque tube out and get it completely out of the way? It seems like leaving it on would make the job quite a bit harder, just to save five minutes. But I've never done it that way so I might be wrong.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
5/9/12 1:04 p.m.
turboswede wrote:
Cotton wrote:

I'm sorry but saying the 944 family is "not harder than any other RWD car" is just unrealistic.

Tell you what..... lets have a race. I'll buy the parts and we'll park my 72 Firebird and 87 951 side by side. You get the Porsche and I'll get the Pontiac...loser eats crow. how about it?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
5/9/12 3:30 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac: Most RWD clutch kits bigger than a teacup saucer are in that range (and note it's really $525). Look up an LS1 kit sometime

I paid $165 for mine for the corvette. It's made for a 345ft-lb of torque factory engine.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
5/9/12 3:39 p.m.
docwyte wrote: A factory NA motor isn't worth that much money, nowhere close enough to pay for LS parts swap stuff.

I looked up the price of conversion kits. I was WAY off. There was a 944 V8 challenge car. How'd he do it so cheap?

Elsmere
Elsmere New Reader
5/9/12 3:51 p.m.

Porsche 944 clutch replacement will make you wish you'd bought a toyota. I did one of these once on my boss's car. It cured me of wanting one.

Don't waste time trying not to pull the trans. The one I did (it was an '88 I think) had hooks on the torque tube that required the torque tube/bellhousing to be pulled back a bit, then rotated 180 degrees and pulled the rest of the way back. I couldn't see any other way to make enough room to get enough room to get in there. I think it took about 15 hours. There is no quick/easy way to do it. Time and patience.

docwyte
docwyte Reader
5/9/12 3:51 p.m.

Was it an LS motor or an LT? Maybe he built everything himself? The only really special thing is the adapter plate and if you have access to a machine shop you can make one yourself too.

Otherwise the kit parts list is fairly extensive and some of the bits like the headers, oil pan and bell housing adapter plate aren't cheap.

Javelin
5/9/12 4:28 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Your Corvette doesn't have a rear transaxle Bob. The clutches are slightly different.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
5/9/12 4:31 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to Bobzilla: Your Corvette doesn't have a rear transaxle Bob. The clutches are slightly different.

Read back through again buddy. Rockauto lists same part numbers for LS1 Camaro and C5s.

Javelin
5/9/12 4:36 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
Javelin wrote: In reply to Bobzilla: Your Corvette doesn't have a rear transaxle Bob. The clutches are slightly different.
Read back through again buddy. Rockauto lists same part numbers for LS1 Camaro and C5s.

Nice ninja edits.

Okay so Chevy was smart and used the same clutch, considering the "transaxle" in a Vette is really a T-56 with a different tailshaft, that's not too surprising. It's still $334 for a kit, so $525 for a more complicated one isn't exactly out of line. Especially considering the Chevy clutch slave and throwout are way more expensive than the 944's.

Anyway, none of that has jack nothing to do with anything about the post. Floundering seems to be the only conversation here anyway lately though, so I guess I shouldn't expect much.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
5/9/12 4:42 p.m.

Chin up, chief.

Javelin
5/9/12 4:46 p.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac:

I'll chin up when you come change my clutch!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
5/9/12 4:49 p.m.

Definately cheaper than a Miata though.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OI1oLIzpuIH2yHczIprchPBXlXbqXPPoHzxTdrLztSeLEeVUzfPKtKQiQ3FCvWqW