1 2 3
Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/27/15 10:48 a.m.

I wanted an E39 M5, but I didn't want to deal with the problems. The E36 M3 is a little easier to deal with.

WilD
WilD HalfDork
2/27/15 11:07 a.m.

I see E36 M3s even cheaper than this pretty regularly. However, if they look clean, they are always automatic and high miles. Asking prices seem to rise exponentially with manual transmissions and/or low miles.

Jamey_from_Legal
Jamey_from_Legal New Reader
2/27/15 12:34 p.m.

That would be "priced to move" 'round my neighborhood. No mileage listed, though?

Also, it pretty much doesn't matter which e36 M3 you get now, they're all old enough that the front control arms, tie rod ends, and rear bushings need to be dealt with; also a new radiator (the plastic connectors disintegrate), probably new struts, and risk of an upcoming VANOS repair should be in your budget.

None the less, I'm glad I don't live in or near Asheville NC, otherwise I'd be out $6k and my wife would be rolling her eyes again.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/27/15 1:02 p.m.
dyintorace wrote:
T.J. wrote: In reply to G_Body_Man: I love estoril blue.
Me too. Probably my favorite color on an M car.

How wrong you are, to dark side must you go.....the correct answer is.......

TechnoViolet>*

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Reader
2/27/15 1:55 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

Best name for a color ever.

I'm partial to Dakar, myself, but just being able to tell people "oh my car is technoviolet" would make it worth it.

WilD
WilD HalfDork
2/27/15 2:30 p.m.

I like Byzanz. Hardly ever see them though...

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/27/15 3:40 p.m.
cmcgregor wrote: In reply to yamaha: Best name for a color ever. I'm partial to Dakar, myself, but just being able to tell people "oh my car is technoviolet" would make it worth it.

I like Dakar, and it is 2nd on my list of colors for the e36....but technoviolet still wins.

fiesta54
fiesta54 Reader
2/27/15 4:47 p.m.

no love for the Boston green?

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
2/27/15 5:06 p.m.
fiesta54 wrote: no love for the Boston green?

That looks like the car I just sold to a GRM'er last fall. He paid $6300 and it had 161k. Great, great car. I will have another E36 M3. No wing is key.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/27/15 7:24 p.m.

Funny...I could never drive Dakar or Technoviolet. Love the Boston Green though! I've had 2 e36 M3s. Both were red - one Mugello and the other Hellrot.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/27/15 10:23 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: Funny...I could never drive Dakar or Technoviolet. Love the Boston Green though! I've had 2 e36 M3s. Both were red - one Mugello and the other Hellrot.

Yeah, I feel the same about Dakar and Techno. Neat to look at, but not something I'd want to drive around in every day. But mine was boring old silver, so what do I know?

fiesta54
fiesta54 Reader
4/7/15 5:24 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote:
That looks like the car I just sold to a GRM'er last fall. He paid $6300 and it had 161k. Great, great car. I will have another E36 M3. No wing is key.

Haha you don't say? This one has a bit more that 161k now I like the no wing. Makes it a little more mature looking.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
4/7/15 8:33 p.m.

Is it you? Still good, I hope? Man, what a great car that was.

fiesta54
fiesta54 Reader
4/7/15 10:14 p.m.

It's been great! I still need to take care of a few small things but nothing keeping me from putting miles on it. I do have one question. I keep getting a random beep. I'm not sure if it's something under the dash or from the speakers. It's very intermittent so it's hard to trace. Any ideas?

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/8/15 6:21 a.m.

There is a reminder in the obc that if set to "on" will ding at 2 min before the hour as a German news/traffic update reminder.

That's the most common answer to "what's that random ding I hear?"

Obligatory pic, this car won the school pickup circle amongst all of the SUVs. SWMBO was very sad when I let this one go

photo bmw brooksville 2_zpsq8fwlrp7.jpg

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
4/8/15 6:33 a.m.

Years ago one of my customers had a 95 M3 that was black on black, and had a rear seat delete, half cage, full race suspension, Dinan supercharger, carbon body parts, tasteful fender flares, several sets of spare wheels. He had a deposit on a new Audi RS4 and decided to sell the BMW. He posted it on bimmerforums for 17K and it sold in 20 minutes. 2 Weeks after getting the Audi he was looking for another M3 and was trying to sell the Audi.

trucke
trucke HalfDork
4/8/15 7:51 a.m.

190,000 miles. $6,300.

'98 M3 Sedan

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/8/15 8:04 a.m.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4964714251.html

Damn This forum

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/8/15 9:13 a.m.

This car has been for sale locally for quite some time. I don't know the seller, but do know of them and they are enthusiasts (husband and wife). Only problem is that it is Technoviolet.

1998 BMW M3 - Dinan supercharged ($11,800)

1998 BMW M3 Dinan Stage 3 Supercharged. Rare electro violet paint. BBS wheels. Power pulley available for supercharger. 356 supercharged horsepower

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/8/15 9:24 a.m.
fiesta54 wrote: It's been great! I still need to take care of a few small things but nothing keeping me from putting miles on it. I do have one question. I keep getting a random beep. I'm not sure if it's something under the dash or from the speakers. It's very intermittent so it's hard to trace. Any ideas?

The "ding" may also be the car telling you the outside temp is close to freezing. There is a warning that goes off to alert you that roads may be icy. Living in FL I don't hear it often---- and it always surprises me when it goes off.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/8/15 9:33 a.m.

That was my ex's 2nd M3 - a '97 she had when we started dating in '02. It was her baby and looked damn near perfect inside and out, although her distrust of mechanics meant it needed a fair bit of differed maintenence when we got together. I did a lot of work on that car. I still regret not buying it when she decided to let it go in '04 after buying a '03 MCS and her '73 1800ES.

Her first M3 was a '95 Daytona Violet coupe that she bought new and then sold in '98 when the warranty ran out and she got cold feet (it was often at the dealer for electrical issues). Granted, her '97 (bought as a CPO in '99) was no angel in that regard either. My nick-name for it was "The Christmas Tree" - because it was green and the various dash warning lights were always coming on for some reason: CEL, ABS, SRS. With her Peake scanning tools, she could clear a trouble code in record time...

Harvey
4/8/15 10:13 a.m.

I had a Boston Green E36 328i, love that color.

I love Technoviolet. I think the only color I don't really like is hellrot red.

Harvey
4/8/15 10:21 a.m.

Here are some pics of it. I had gotten some M-Contour rims because I liked the look of them, but in hindsight they were heavy as berkeley and not worth having. Still loved the look.

My wife had a 325i convertible with a fantastic interior color. Like the Aston Martin DB7 Vantage V12 Convertible in the background?

fiesta54
fiesta54 Reader
4/8/15 9:56 p.m.
glueguy wrote: There is a reminder in the obc that if set to "on" will ding at 2 min before the hour as a German news/traffic update reminder. That's the most common answer to "what's that random ding I hear?" Obligatory pic, this car won the school pickup circle amongst all of the SUVs. SWMBO was very sad when I let this one go

I don't think I would have ever figured that out without asking.

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/8/15 11:39 p.m.

I can't remember how to turn it off, but it's an easy Google search. I kept mine on - it was part of the German character of the car. I actually got used to the comfortable reminder that the top of the hour was approaching.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l6uaLsrz33NS0o5tYhuBzyIINd4CHcfacmcDpuFBNf1LhQCM0V26VbDjm0NYl7W3