jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo Reader
12/1/11 5:22 p.m.

hello, all. i have a 96 ranger wagon (explorer) with a 4.0 and the 5r55e auto. it doesnt work well. ill try to keep this simple to understand.

it doesnt shift very well. once in gear its fine, no slipping or anything, but its slow to shift. it doesnt actually shift slow, as it it doesnt take a long time for the sweitch to happen, but theres a time period between gears (mostly 3-4) where its in neutral. once it decides to shift, it shifts like normal. theres just this gap. when cold it works better, hotter it gets, the worse it shifts. the space between gears can be as long as 6 seconds when hot. fluid id clean, red, and filled to spec. always was, for that matter. i added some lucas trans in a bottle, and it made no change.

i think its electrical. i dont know why, but it seems like the trans isnt getting told what to do correctly. once in OD, it drives fine at 80+.

what i know: the od switch is broken, and missing, "OD off" light is off. OD works. the odometer shows 243+k. but it doesnt work anymore. neither does the trip odo. the speedo works, and is accurate within 3mph. the ABS light is on, but the abs works fine. (thats likely not relevant but...)

im stumped. i dont want to chuck a $700 ebay rebuilt trans into it over a $50 electric part, but i know DICK about autos, and even less about electrically controlled ones. if i had the money to blow, id drop the trans in no problem, but i dont. i am willing to try some cheap stuff, but i dont know what to replace, or even where to start.

thanks for anyones input!

-J0N

NGTD
NGTD Dork
12/1/11 8:15 p.m.
  1. Go here:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php

1. Read till you cry. The 5r55e has lots of history.
Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
12/1/11 8:56 p.m.

Buy something else. Seriously. Given the mileage, seals are probably hard and on the apply aren't holding the initial apply pressure. Eventually, there is enough pressure to completely apply the clutch/band.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
12/1/11 9:10 p.m.

BTW, the A4LD/4R55/5R55E family are not a bad family of transmissions. You just have t omod them to work right as the factory setup isn't hte greatest.

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo Reader
12/2/11 8:46 a.m.

hmm...i was hoping it was a simple thing. anything else i can swap in that isnt a 5r55e? like will an AOD bolt up? what bolt pattern is the 4.0? same as the 5.0?

-J0N

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
12/2/11 8:48 a.m.

In order:

Nope. No. I want to say the old 2.8/2.9 but don't hold me to that. Hells no, that would be too easy.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mxF1CIllRpcJSq1wQjqJTDCPSs0M0G0crvfmvjrgY9GZvrbk2z1IX0t9JnYw62vw