Javelin MegaDork
March 26, 2013 11:47 a.m.

I've done dozens of head gaskets, but never a 4.0 Exploder. Any tricks or pretty straightforward?

Javelin MegaDork
March 26, 2013 1:51 p.m.

Anyone?

Ranger50 PowerDork
March 26, 2013 2:00 p.m.

OHC or OHV?

Knurled UltraDork
March 26, 2013 2:07 p.m.

OHC, we just put a reman engine in.

The head gasket procedure says that you must loosen/remove the main caps before loosening the head bolts, or you risk warping the block. We figure that if the head gaskets failed, and the block is apparently that scary-edge flimsy, we don't know that the block isn't what caused the gasket(s) to fail in the first place. It then becomes best practice to just replace the whole engine.

Plus, the labor is actually lower, since either way, you're pulling the engine out and stripping all tinwork off, but doing a reman engine means you're not pulling the heads...

Streetwiseguy UltraDork
March 26, 2013 5:38 p.m.

Those motors are scary stupid, and you need a bunch of tools to time the cams. They tear up the timing chain cassettes, too. If you got a reman and it failed, I'd scream like a bitch until I got another motor.

ultraclyde Dork
March 26, 2013 6:45 p.m.

Swap in a 302 from the same year. It will be easier than the gaskets and possibly cheaper.

curtis73 UltraDork
March 29, 2013 12:39 a.m.

The timing chains are an absolute nightmare on those. They don't even have timing marks. I had one that I was careful with when I replaced the chain guides (which are also a nightmare and frequent failure point) and it was horrific. I ended up calling the dealer to see if there was some special tool and they basically told me I was berkeleyed.

psychic_mechanic
March 29, 2013 8:28 a.m.
curtis73 wrote: The timing chains are an absolute nightmare on those. They don't even have timing marks. I had one that I was careful with when I replaced the chain guides (which are also a nightmare and frequent failure point) and it was horrific. I ended up calling the dealer to see if there was some special tool and they basically told me I was berkeleyed.

Oh, there's a special tool kit for setting the timing. IIRC the set is a few thousand dollars.

If it's a newer reman I'd try the whining method mentioned above.

duetto_67 New Reader
March 29, 2013 8:48 a.m.

have done the timing chains on my 4.0 SOHC, i don't think it can be done with the engine in the car. The right side chain has a bolt that needs to be loosened/tightened that is covered by the bellhousing when in the car.

i made my own tool for timing the cams with some alum angle. there is a slot on the cam opposite the chain that has to be parallel with the valve cover surface. 2 pieces of 1" alum angle bolted together at the right distance makes a fine tool for holding the cam. Worked ok, no code.

HappyAndy Dork
March 29, 2013 9:14 a.m.

As much as I like FoMoCo, I hate, no I mean HATE engine work on exploders. Andy's underground economy back ally auto repair service usually refuses to work on them...even for family members

Javelin MegaDork
March 29, 2013 9:14 a.m.

Thanks everyone, I talked them into a replacement/reman engine swap instead. It's a really nice truck, so it looks worth fixing up.

ransom UltraDork
March 29, 2013 10:28 a.m.
duetto_67 wrote: The right side chain has a bolt that needs to be loosened/tightened that is covered by the bellhousing when in the car.

Cam chain related bolt? Covered by bellhousing?

Knurled UltraDork
March 29, 2013 12:59 p.m.
ransom wrote: Cam chain related bolt? Covered by bellhousing?

All chain VWAG engines have the chain in the back. Makes packaging easier since they car get the accessories in closer to the engine, the hoodline can be lower (on longitudinal models), and the chain noise is lost in the bellhousing so they don't need 1/4" thick aluminum timing covers for NVH reasons, so the engine can be smaller and lighter.

Ford's 4.0 SOHC has the same head on both sides of the engine. Left bank has the chain in the front, right bank has the chain in the back.

ransom UltraDork
March 29, 2013 1:01 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

Wow. I had no idea...

HappyJack Reader
March 29, 2013 4:40 p.m.

I got an 02 Exploder with the 4.0 in it. Runs fine, but now I'm scared.

Knurled UltraDork
March 29, 2013 4:54 p.m.
HappyJack wrote: I got an 02 Exploder with the 4.0 in it. Runs fine, but now I'm scared.

Don't be. I've only ever seen two fail. If you keep up with the maintenance, they outlast the rest of the truck.

Just like just about everything else made in the last 20-30 years.

It's easy to remember the ones that fail, hard to remember the 99% that last a couple hundred thousand miles and then the body's too rotten to be worth putting $50 of fuel into it...

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

From the GRM Vault: A Dual-Engine Honda CRX and 10 Other Cool Cars Hit the Dyno

9 hours ago in Articles

Back in 1997 we put 11 cool cars on the dyno in search of horsepower and truth.

You Need This: Our Mustang GT CAM-C Project Car

11 hours ago in News

Soon for sale: Our Mustang GT autocross project.

Deal of the Month: Christmas in July!

12 hours ago in News

Get a year of our magazine for just $10.

Your Projects: Smith College's $2017 Challenge Miata

12 hours ago in News

Smith College is entering the Grassroots Motorsports $2017 Challenge

Big News From Mazda's Prototype Racing Effort

20 hours ago in News

This just in: Mazda's prototype racing effort is changing hands.

Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! on Wednesday, July 19: Track Prep Your Daily Plus a Look at the Only Stick Shift GT3 RS

1 day ago in News

Tune in as we discuss pre-event inspection and prep. Also, a special appearance by a very cool Porsche.

Project Ridgeline Tows Home Another Project

1 day ago in Project Cars

We may or may not have gotten sidetracked on our Smoky Mountain Tour.

You Need This: Supercharged Toyota MR2

2 days ago in News

Rebuilt engine? Check. Extra power? Check. Early MR2 cool factor? Double check.

2017 Volvo V90 Cross Country T6 AWD

2 days ago in New Car Reviews

We're keeping the all-wheel-drive wagon theme rolling. We reviewed the Subaru Impreza last week and the Volkswagen Golf SportWagen before ...

Taking on the World Rally Championship With an E30

3 days ago in Articles

Bill Caswell invades the World Rally Championship with a 20-year-old BMW.

Your Projects: UR Quattro Resurrection

3 days ago in News

Team Illuminata is breathing life back into this old Quattro.

Project Turbo Miata: A Fresh Engine for Our Endurance Racer

3 days ago in Project Cars

Our turbocharged Mazda Miata racer gets a new heart.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
lpDkzSVaZVfpdvMAoZV0TNeeAPa5Zk1W