DIONB
DIONB New Reader
June 21, 2010 9:22 a.m.

I HAVE RECENTLY RE-AQUIRED A HIGH-MILEAGE 1997 ESCORT 4DR. ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO SOME MODS? THANKS.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks Reader
June 21, 2010 9:24 a.m.

turboboosters

Carson Dork
June 21, 2010 9:26 a.m.

Aside from the obvious, turboboosters, what are you looking to gain from your mods? Fuel efficiency? Power? Handling, Da Ladies? What are your goals with your car?

mndsm HalfDork
June 21, 2010 9:31 a.m.

Be careful... all that shouting causes interior rattles.

Gimp Dork
June 21, 2010 9:37 a.m.

Check the caps lock key... they sometimes get stuck.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks Reader
June 21, 2010 9:41 a.m.

maybe hes just really excited

maroon92 SuperDork
June 21, 2010 9:44 a.m.

escort it off a shipping dock?

fastmiata Reader
June 21, 2010 11:11 a.m.

Did you ever hear about the guy who strapped two Jatco(?) rocket boosters to the roof of his Impala? Some call it an urban legend but that might be the best way to get a '97 Escort to perform. YMMV

Klayfish New Reader
June 21, 2010 11:26 a.m.

Stick a coffee can...the big ones you buy at Sams Club...on the exhaust, get some spinner hub caps from Pep Boys, make a 4' tall rear wing from left over scrap wood, and cover it with stickers. You'll be amazed at how much of a difference it makes....

To actually answer the question, I'd say just drive it. It's not a performance car and you'll spend a fortune just trying to get it to be "respectable". Save your cash and drive the Escort until it hits the ground...which may be next week, so save fast.

93celicaGT2 SuperDork
June 21, 2010 11:32 a.m.
Klayfish wrote: Stick a coffee can...the big ones you buy at Sams Club...on the exhaust, get some spinner hub caps from Pep Boys, make a 4' tall rear wing from left over scrap wood, and cover it with stickers. You'll be amazed at how much of a difference it makes.... To actually answer the question, I'd say just drive it. It's not a performance car and you'll spend a fortune just trying to get it to be "respectable". Save your cash and drive the Escort until it hits the ground...which may be next week, so save fast.

Weren't you just looking at Escorts for your track car? You should know better, sir.

ClemSparks SuperDork
June 21, 2010 11:38 a.m.

Ok...

I like old escorts (one of the few FWD cars i'd consider driving, strangely)...but there was a model change between '96 and '97, right?

Is the '97-up pretty much the same chassis with updated styling? Or did they change a lot more?

I'm just curious and thought we should make this thread productive somehow.

I'm surprised by all the escort hate also...they're good little Mazdas, IMO.

Clem

93celicaGT2 SuperDork
June 21, 2010 11:42 a.m.
ClemSparks wrote: Ok... I like old escorts (one of the few FWD cars i'd consider driving, strangely)...but there was a model change between '96 and '97, right? Is the '97-up pretty much the same chassis with updated styling? Or did they change a lot more? I'm just curious and thought we should make this thread productive somehow. I'm surprised by all the escort hate also...they're good little Mazdas, IMO. Clem

You are correct. It's PRETTY much the same chassis with updated styling, and different motor choices.

Lots of potential there, honestly, though most people tend to ignore it because it's not as easy as making a honda fast.

More aftermarket than most people think, though.

93celicaGT2 SuperDork
June 21, 2010 11:44 a.m.

But really...

Step 1: Buy an MX3 GS V6.
Step 2: Buy KLDE from MX6 V6/Probe GT
Step 3: Remove motors from both cars
Step 4: Insert motor mounts, trans, and wiring harness from MX3, insert motor from MX6.
Step 5: Insert mx3 suspension bits for an increase in track width
Step 6: HOON!!

mndsm HalfDork
June 21, 2010 11:56 a.m.

I was thinkin' b6t personally. I haven't called Cam Waugh's shop in a while......

93celicaGT2 SuperDork
June 21, 2010 11:57 a.m.
mndsm wrote: I was thinkin' b6t personally. I haven't called Cam Waugh's shop in a while......

Wouldn't be my swap of choice in a 3rd gen. Lots of hassles to end up with similar power you could get out of just boosting the motor that's in there.

But still an idea, and i'm always FOR boost.

Of course... could always boost the KLDE after swapping? 350whp from a boosted KLDE would be a whole lot of HOLY E36 M3 in a 3rd gen escort.

Carson Dork
June 21, 2010 12:04 p.m.

Honestly the best bang for the buck would be to buy the FoMoCoTo struts from Jegs for under $200, slap on the S/R springs and hit the autocross.

Klayfish New Reader
June 21, 2010 12:14 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote:
Klayfish wrote: Stick a coffee can...the big ones you buy at Sams Club...on the exhaust, get some spinner hub caps from Pep Boys, make a 4' tall rear wing from left over scrap wood, and cover it with stickers. You'll be amazed at how much of a difference it makes.... To actually answer the question, I'd say just drive it. It's not a performance car and you'll spend a fortune just trying to get it to be "respectable". Save your cash and drive the Escort until it hits the ground...which may be next week, so save fast.

Weren't you just looking at Escorts for your track car? You should know better, sir.

Ahhh....touche' Yup, but the EGT is a whole different animal. Actually, I'd say the old Escort sedans were pretty good "transportation appliances". Nearly bought one back around '99 when I working in the field, driving 30k+ per year.

pres589 HalfDork
June 21, 2010 12:18 p.m.

Some of these cars roll on pizza cutters; +1 wheel & tire upgrade using junkyard rims might be a nice little improvement.

Wondering how choked up the intake piping from the airbox to the throttle body is, might be a good place to focus and should be cheap to do with the right pieces of hose & a drop-in K&N.

93celicaGT2 SuperDork
June 21, 2010 12:19 p.m.
Klayfish wrote:
93celicaGT2 wrote:
Klayfish wrote: Stick a coffee can...the big ones you buy at Sams Club...on the exhaust, get some spinner hub caps from Pep Boys, make a 4' tall rear wing from left over scrap wood, and cover it with stickers. You'll be amazed at how much of a difference it makes.... To actually answer the question, I'd say just drive it. It's not a performance car and you'll spend a fortune just trying to get it to be "respectable". Save your cash and drive the Escort until it hits the ground...which may be next week, so save fast.

Weren't you just looking at Escorts for your track car? You should know better, sir.

Ahhh....touche' Yup, but the EGT is a whole different animal. Actually, I'd say the old Escort sedans were pretty good "transportation appliances". Nearly bought one back around '99 when I working in the field, driving 30k+ per year.

The motor is really the only thing different. That said, they're still way cooler.

STS_ZX2 New Reader
June 21, 2010 12:22 p.m.
Carson wrote: Honestly the best bang for the buck would be to buy the FoMoCoTo struts from Jegs for under $200, slap on the S/R springs and hit the autocross.

Yes. OE ZX2 S/R dampers--made by Tokico work nicely with something like Eibach (ZX2 S/R OE) springs. Also, take off the OE 13mm RSB--and go to a junkyard and find a RSB from any 91-96 hatch (19mm hollow), or from an Escort GT/Protege LX (21mm solid). I belive that wagon bars were also 21mm.

The chassis is a Mazda Protege BG--so any ZX2/MX3 coilovers would work too. Koni makes inserts (MX3) in the old "Red" style--but for the money the S/R stuff is good.

Brake upgrades are junkyard fare as well--again, EGT and ProLX...get you rear discs.

Wheels--are common 4x100, and the hub is a 54.1 (small) so nearly anything works. 15x7 ET 40 wheels are a dime a dozen--all over CL or Ebay.

DIONB
DIONB New Reader
June 21, 2010 2:39 p.m.

In reply to maroon92:

thanks for your helpful suggestion...why didn't I think of that?

DIONB
DIONB New Reader
June 21, 2010 2:41 p.m.

In reply to Carson:

Ummmm....obviously not "Da Ladies" (With and escort? Really?)

DIONB
DIONB New Reader
June 21, 2010 2:43 p.m.

In reply to mndsm:

Maybe so, but at least the rattling partially obscures the voices in my head.

93celicaGT2 SuperDork
June 21, 2010 2:46 p.m.

I like the new guy...

DIONB
DIONB New Reader
June 21, 2010 2:47 p.m.

In reply to fastmiata:

Seriously, I do not have the financial wherewithall to be able to afford the rocket boosters. Would you like to contribute, or shall I continue development on my ignition device for my intestinal flatulence?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Modern Day Track Junkie

8 hours ago in Articles

Christina Lam went from the sidelines to full-on track enthusiast in 8 simple steps.

2017 Audi A8 L

9 hours ago in New Car Reviews

When it comes to luxury sedans, Audis are usually front-runners. The A8 L is the biggest and maybe most comfortable ...

Slight Project Pause for Our BMW M3

11 hours ago in Project Cars

Few things slow down our project car progress more effectively than a broken arm.

Grassroots Motorsports Experience Ticket Renewals Have Been Sent

1 day ago in News

Check your inbox for our Grassroots Motorsports Experience renewals.

First Drive: Turbo ND MX-5

1 day ago in News

We hit the track with Flyin' Miata's latest power adder.

Project Turbo Miata: Fire Fighting

1 day ago in Project Cars

We transfer the fire system to our new Miata.

Vintage Views: GMC Syclone and Typhoon

2 days ago in Articles

All-wheel drive, turbo power and a Q-ship’s stealth.

Classic Motorsports Mitty Presented by Hagerty Celebrates Porsche

3 days ago in News

Gearhead heaven? We think it looks something like this.

Meet the Rebels Who Started the Cannonball Run

3 days ago in News

Relive those desperado days through movie excerpts, and hear the real facts and wild stories from the legends themselves.

This Weekend at the Mitty: The Ultimate Auto Festival

6 days ago in News

Gates open this Friday for the Classic Motorsports Mitty at Road Atlanta.

ND Miata Turbo Kits Now Available!

6 days ago in News

Add 70 horsepower and 70 ft.-lbs!

What's the Plan, Man?

1 week ago in Articles

Thoughts on our racing plan for the year.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
o1SszfnAqMyOY36osotQ6qzwoXkNlNSt