spandak
spandak Reader
10/1/19 3:46 p.m.

I know we have a few Boxster guys on here. I am looking for your knowledge and guidance. 

I want to autox my 2.7. I’ve come across whiffs of information that these cars can have oiling and power steering issues on track. Would this apply to autox too? 

I have never autoxed before but I consider myself a decent driver. I won’t be extracting all this car has to offer (by miles I’m sure) but I’ll work it. It’s on Continental ECS tires in stock sizes. 

Do I need to worry? 

Send it? I’d like to just do that. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
10/1/19 4:31 p.m.

Don't worry you will be fine.  Bring lots of water and sunscreen.  Get there early and walk the course several times.  

dps214
dps214 Reader
10/1/19 4:39 p.m.

As far as I can tell the issues are on track with good tires (ie r comps and sustained cornering forces). Assuming you're on street tires I'd be not at all concerned about autocross and only slightly concerned about track use.

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
10/1/19 5:47 p.m.

I have looked into this as well. What i have read is there are problems with the longer sustained G's you get during track use. Autocross courses typically have so many quick direction changes, its not normally an issue.    

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/19 5:51 p.m.

Hi! I think you'd like to watch my series on building a 986 Boxster S for autocross:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJP6zYysCHm9qqMPeHGAkbGpvcOdZPd9l

Short answer is, there's no issue at autocross, it's only in sustained high g loading that track days feature where problems crop up.

Your tires will limit your cornering forces drastically anyways.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/2/19 10:34 a.m.

Make sure your tire pressures are set to Porsche specs to start.  If you want even more understeer let someone else set them for you like your local tire shop.....

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/2/19 10:49 a.m.

We have autocrossed our stock 2002 Boxster S for sixteen years and it has been wonderful. The original owner had regularly run track and autocross events, too. Of course, it could blow up tomorrow, but that is true of any car. You can't go around worrying about stuff like that. 

(I do know a couple of folks who lost engines in nearly-new first-gen Cayman S's running track events at Sebring on sticky rubber. They would recommend the deeper oil pan for that application.)  

Enjoy the drive!

spandak
spandak Reader
10/2/19 11:10 a.m.

Thanks for the input guys. 

Im trying hard to just enjoy the car and not worry about everything that could go wrong (it’s a lot). I figure I should do my due diligence though to make sure I don’t bring about an early death. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/2/19 11:45 a.m.

Yeah, thanks Danny and Mike (Javelin) for the advice. They're the ones who'd know.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wnBF73b4dot7vigcZh3aLUIF1a4CNhWO4Az6t8LIFxyUT17y3qK4ex82wjimncvz