1 2 3 4
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/18 9:19 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to Woody :

Not that I'm in the market, but is a 145k mile Cayman the type of car where you presume any potential problems would likely have previously been addressed, or is it nearing the point of needing expensive maintenance?

Possibly...

The main caveat is the fact that the Cayman/Boxster/911 of that era used one of three types of IMS bearings. Two of those types are pretty easy to change when you're swapping in a new clutch. If it has the third type, it's not so easy, as the engine case needs to be split. That bearing tends to have a better track record than the others, but it's something you need to consider.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
1/17/18 5:54 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:
yupididit said:

Clean Cayman s

Also a nice looking car. It would be nice to know why the engine was replaced. This is one of the first times Mrs. Deuce has had a real opinion about color. It's mostly because this is the first time in a while where we're looking for something where enough of them were built that we can be choosey. She's pretty against black or silver, in favor of dark blue, would be happy wiht Guards Red, would sell one of the children for Viper Green. 

Maybe try and hit them a little low on that viper green one you found?  You never know maybe they need to move some inventory and will deal.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/17/18 6:01 p.m.

In reply to Cotton :

Mrs. Deuce wants to wait for the mid February "how much does my company really like me" bonus before we get too aggressive. I'm actually trying to be a grownup and shop wisely instead of grabbing the first shiny car I drive like usual. If it's still available in a month we might make a call. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
1/17/18 9:04 p.m.

For a sports car I don't want "adequate" power.  Especially on a Porsche.  I want POWAH!!! in my sports cars, "adequate" is fine for a DD sedan, or a Miata, which barely makes power to begin with...

Even if people can agree that a sports car should feel powerful, it's still based on each person's interpretation of what that means.  I'm lucky to have driven Seth's 911, CTS-V, and R63. I totally understand why the 911 is considered a 'forever car' out of the trio in spite of being the slowest by far. I've also driven a Cayman S and would rather have Seth's (wife's) 911. 

I doubt the Cayman will deliver an experience that puts it on that 'forever car' level regardless of how fast, and i also think the main attraction in this situation is to get a lot of the same goodness out of something you're not actually as attached to and are willing to expose to risk on a constant basis. 

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/17/18 9:58 p.m.
yupididit said:

Another clean one.

Not really into the interior but some might really like it. 

Ad indicates it was sold in mid December unless I missed something?

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/17/18 10:00 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:
She's pretty against black or silver, in favor of dark blue, would be happy wiht Guards Red, would sell one of the children for Viper Green. 

If it's the sickly child, what's the harm in that? devil

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/17/18 10:27 p.m.
secretariata said:
yupididit said:

Another clean one.

Not really into the interior but some might really like it. 

Ad indicates it was sold in mid December unless I missed something?

Oops

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
1/18/18 8:32 a.m.

True.  I've driven my friends 997.1 Turbo and its wickedly fast.  But it leaves me totally cold.  Just doesn't have the feeling that makes me want to lust after the car...

Woody
1/18/18 10:11 a.m.
docwyte said:

True.  I've driven my friends 997.1 Turbo and its wickedly fast.  But it leaves me totally cold.  Just doesn't have the feeling that makes me want to lust after the car...

I think that may be the whole "Fast Car Slow" vs. "Slow car Fast" thing.

yupididit
1/18/18 10:23 a.m.
docwyte said:

You must've ran out of space cheeky

mazdeuce - Seth
1/18/18 10:31 a.m.

There is absolutely an engine/chassis/tire balance that makes cars fun at reasonable speeds. The R63 is docile at legal speeds and sucks if you attempt to ask much of the tires at those speeds. The V wagon has way to much competence unless you hit the violence button which is fun to do. The 911 we own is simply a joy and Vigo has is right that we're trying to capture as much of that as we can in a car that isn't quite so special to us. 

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
1/18/18 10:57 a.m.

The 997.1 Turbo just felt clinical.  The driver (me) was too removed from the experience of speed and cornering.  The limits on that car as so incredibly high that driving it on the street is honestly boring.

The original Cayman S I drove seemed to have far more feeling and soul to it...

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
1/18/18 11:04 a.m.

This is part of why I enjoy rwd cars, both my prior C6 Z06 and current F80 M3 are way too fast to be fun on the street driving cleanly, but they'll get out from under you and it's a riot.  With awd I wouldn't have enjoyed either very much.  I think the isolation of modern cars is a big part of it too.  Adding a little NVH back in always livens up the experience...

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/18/18 11:05 a.m.
yupididit
1/19/18 10:54 p.m.

I found this blue one on accident. It's in Houston not much info hopefully its real. Lovely color. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
1/20/18 12:37 a.m.

I think that blue might be the only color that coordinates well enough with the grey interior that i can stand it. I nixed a whole lot of Porsche listings over grey interiors. It looks good there. 

yupididit
1/20/18 9:10 a.m.

In reply to Vigo :

I agree but have you seen the green interior in the 996? gross!

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
1/20/18 11:09 a.m.

I also hate the grey interiors.  So does everyone else, as the 996 Turbos with the all grey interiors sell for less money than all the other 966 turbos

Woody
1/20/18 1:02 p.m.

I searched the country for a dark blue Porsche with gray or black interior. So many have tan.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/20/18 1:12 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:The V wagon has way to much competence unless you hit the violence button which is fun to do.

So that's what the V stands for.

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/6/18 8:16 p.m.
yupididit
2/6/18 8:56 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth
2/9/18 9:12 a.m.

Still watching for cars. I haven't been able to talk Mrs. Deuce into actually driving one yet. She's a bit worried that once she does she'll want one. Which she will. 

I showed her pictures of the Cocoa interior and she agreed that she could deal with a silver/white car if it came with that. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Wcsb38PGt6lgHw5Yg9QiwROv6ywkEPpNF95gclUDlm1esrlCCHzxJxTQAL5MN6Nl