Noelle Omer
Noelle Omer
1/4/18 1:57 p.m.

The Cannonball Run is the stuff of legend. Born in the early 1970s as the Cannonball Baker Sea-To-Shining-Sea Memorial Trophy Dash, the Cannonball was an unbridled sprint from New York to California held on the public highways and byways of America.

It was a race in the purest sense: no rules, no car classifications, not even a defined course—just leave …

Read the rest of the story

Schump
Schump New Reader
1/6/18 9:31 p.m.

Very nice job building this 510.  That is a seriously cool car, made better by the fact that it has Brock Yates Cannonball Mopar motor in it. (Mostly Old Parts And Rust this motor is not.). Just like 9 out of ten Japanese cars, the 510 is a copycat.  Datsun, see a BMW 2002.  Like a 2002.  Copy a 2002.  Rename it a 510.  I've always liked both myself.

Speaking of Japanese copycat cars, Datsun see a Jaguar E Type.  Make a 240Z.  It even has the same type inline 6 engine.  Or my 1st car, my dad's 1976 Toyota Celica GT hatchback.  180,000 miles, original clutch.  I swear.  Apparently Toyota knows how to make clutches and Schumpert's know how to drive them.  I spoke with a lifetime Toyota mechanic and he told me the highest mileage clutch he ever saw was in a first generation pickup truck.  275,000!  He also said that original clutches always seemed to last longer than replacement.  (Toyota dealers enjoy it when customers come back for re-replacements sooner and leave a minimum $1500 poorer.). But what was I talking about?  My Celica is a carbon copy of a 1967 Mustang Fastback.  Every single styling cue was stolen.  The overhanging hood, the front fender line, the hump in the rear fender line, the vents behind the rear windows, the turned up rear hatch.  They just replaced a 289 with the efficient 20R.

te72
te72 New Reader
1/7/18 12:31 a.m.

In reply to Schump :

Those first gen Celicas make for fantastic drag cars with a little bit of oomph and some grip out back. Turns out hauling around all that extra weight from the full size Mustang only serves to slow one down... personally I think the 3/4 scale size of the Celica really suits the design nicely!

Would have one in a heartbeat, if I happen to find the right one that isn't rotted through, when I have the cash. Turns out those two requirements never seem to line up at the same time, for better or worse.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/7/18 7:11 a.m.

I loved that car. But it routinely gets overlooked. 

I haven't heard a word of it since the $2005 Challenge. 

Is Noelle still around, or is this a recycled 12 year old article?

(No problem if it's recycled- still liked the read)

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/7/18 7:12 a.m.

BTW, one of my favorite details about that car- the Challenger's badging ended up on the back of the 510- perfect for the $2005 Challenge!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/7/18 10:32 a.m.

I too noticed, "when was the last time you saw a by-line from Noelle?" 

Crackers
Crackers Dork
1/7/18 11:36 a.m.

I hate how this title was worded. 

I literally thought to myself, "ooh, that would probably be worth getting an extension on my taxes."

Stupid thing isn't for GD sale! 

Gah!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4TZdQXixagrqInQ5IIQCekjVDH2JA75hQgkqSKYW4Z9oq71O6xwSDwYh3CP28uGO