1 2 3 ... 25
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Intern
6/11/13 6:11 p.m.

I'm currently sitting in our 1966 Mercedes 230S. And, somehow, we're going to drive it to Hagerty Insurance's headquarters in Traverse City, Michigan. Then we'll repeat the drive in reverse, hopefully returning to our Florida headquarters in early July. I'll be posting periodical updates in this thread, so stay tuned for more!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/13 6:12 p.m.

Well, I'd rather you did it in the Mercedes than the Edsel...

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/11/13 6:14 p.m.

I had to double take. I thought the gesture that Margie was displaying was NOT one of good luck.

Tom Suddard
6/11/13 6:14 p.m.

Darn, we just turned around! We had to throw some of our crap out, as the rear tires were rubbing. Here goes take two!

Tom Suddard
6/11/13 6:19 p.m.

We've been on the highway 5 minutes and it's still running.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/13 6:23 p.m.

That is an excellent instrument cluster.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
6/11/13 6:30 p.m.

There were lots of people drove on trip that long, in cars like that, in 1966. why wouldn't it work now?

For a trip of that duration, I'd find an Oldsmobile Delta 88, but that's all personal preference. You never know when you might need the rest of those 425 cubic inches.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
6/11/13 6:31 p.m.

Good luck! Sounds like a fun road trip!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/11/13 6:33 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Then we'll repeat the drive in reverse...

How many reverse gears does that thing have? Sounds like a recipe for a really stiff neck!

Enjoy your road trip!

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
6/11/13 6:35 p.m.

What's the point of the spare tire if you're afraid of a little rubbing?

Good luck, sounds like a fun trip!

Bryce

Tom Suddard
6/11/13 6:36 p.m.

Hmm, it's picked up a vibration since our test drives. I think we'll swap the spare tire with the right front in hopes that its just a poorly balanced tire.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
6/11/13 6:51 p.m.

I'll be following this closely. I'm hoping to do a similar trip next summer in my 45 year old wagon except the kids and I will roll past Traverse City and head to the UP for the summer. Best of luck.

jgrace28
jgrace28
6/11/13 6:55 p.m.

You know what would be a fun car for a cross-country family trip? A 1967 Alvis Convertible. Jill and I could tail you in a '63 Austin Healey 3000. What could possibly go wrong? (Y'all have a great time. Be safe. Your trip looks like fun.)

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
6/11/13 7:01 p.m.

OK. Now we need to have a Michigan GRM get together some where along the route, since our illustrious leader will be in the state (that's Margie). There must be a Waffle House that will work.
I'll be following this thread because I have had the urge to get an older car and go road tripping myself. Good luck Clan Suddard.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
6/11/13 7:12 p.m.
mndsm wrote: I had to double take. I thought the gesture that Margie was displaying was NOT one of good luck.

I thought the same thing...............sure looks like it at first glance. A lot of Michiganders in this forum and I agree, which should try and do a meet. Good luck on your trip.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
6/11/13 7:12 p.m.

Tom, how on Earth did y'all talk Katie into this? I thought she was the one who didn't share our car infection..

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/13 7:14 p.m.

What could possibly go wrong?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
6/11/13 7:30 p.m.

Meh, I do that all the time in my 66, and its not restored

THE MITTY 2013. Camp Mongo photo photobucket-10282-1367762568536_zpsca7417f1.jpg

Tom Suddard
6/11/13 7:36 p.m.

Good news: we finally agreed on what temperature we liked the HVAC set at! Unfortunately this was only because the lever broke off. Oops...

Tom Suddard
6/11/13 7:36 p.m.

Katie wasn't talked into anything. She's pretty much here against her will.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
6/11/13 7:41 p.m.

Lots and lots of GRM'ers on the way.

BTW, the non-freeway drive up to that part of Michigan is better than the alternative. More appropriate for the car, too.

Oh, and being from the nice warm Atlantic area, you MUST at least step into Lake Michigan.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
6/11/13 7:44 p.m.

Remember the Aussie outpost just East of Ft Wayne, IN.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
6/11/13 7:54 p.m.

Yep, if you hit north of Columbus, you have my contact info.

Have fun!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/11/13 8:10 p.m.

How many times have the words 'Don't make me pull this car over!' been said so far?

Tom Suddard
6/11/13 8:16 p.m.

Only once, by my mother (who wasn't driving) to my dad (who wouldn't pull over for food).

We had McDonald's for dinner.

1 2 3 ... 25

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xNbfQxNAVQmzUJkgc2LpfnLvet8pgQG5r4Ms3xFMH3TFwi70ykljydl2jp1BtUdj