1 2
MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
10/24/14 10:54 p.m.

That was the most fun (and scariest) drag racing I have ever watched. Thank you!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/25/14 6:31 p.m.

I spoke to Andy sometime last year when they were talking about doing the challenge drags at night. At that time, he was concerned with the possibility of losing grip as dew settled on the track. With all the mid-track wiggles we saw, I've gotta say I think he may have been on to something.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
10/25/14 7:21 p.m.

Having been forced to race at night, tracks normally just lose grip due to temp then dew until about 10 or 11 at night.

Plus how much prep did the track really get before the event started? To the 60' timers? 330' timers? 1/8 mile? Was it reprepped at some point? I didn't get any chance to watch any of the feed.

dropstep
dropstep Reader
10/25/14 8:12 p.m.

im not at the challenge but they were running cars down the track in 46 degree weather last night here, do they not prep full track for the challenge?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
10/25/14 8:22 p.m.

I don't know how it was at all, as I was not there and only watched the live stream, but in past years, they have always seemed to hold back on prepping the track. They always seem to not take the challenge cars seriously, as far as track prep goes.

However, JG said on the live stream that they spent the whole day, while the auto-cross was running, prepping the dragstrip.

It's hard to say, whether it was weather or track prep. There were some scary runs in the MGB.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/25/14 9:15 p.m.

What exactly does track prep entail?

dropstep
dropstep Reader
10/25/14 9:45 p.m.
Woody wrote: What exactly does track prep entail?

lots of dragging and vht. some tracks only prep certain distances depending on the event. track rentals are usually prepped to whatever the person renting the track is willing to pay.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
10/25/14 10:35 p.m.

For about 300' of a one time prep for all day running, you'd be about $1000-1500 OOP, depending on the facility rented. If you want it to be reprepped or whole length, double or triple that cost for EACH service.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/25/14 10:48 p.m.

That track was sketch-tastic in 2012 in the middle of the day, too, though. My car hooks better on the street than it did there.

dropstep
dropstep Reader
10/25/14 11:06 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: That track was sketch-tastic in 2012 in the middle of the day, too, though. My car hooks better on the street than it did there.

thats because without prep a track is greasy as hell.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds HalfDork
10/26/14 12:01 p.m.

She wildest rides seemed to come from the Midgets/MGBs. Lots more power than chassis. I bet the cars were twisting up, then uncoiling on gearchanges. Add in front suspension setups that may have been optimized for autocross and track prep looks less like a culprit. (H/T: JG for this observation)

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
10/27/14 10:17 a.m.

Videos of such antics can be found where?

EdHigginbotham
EdHigginbotham Editorial Assistant
10/27/14 10:20 a.m.

I have video of aforementioned scary quarter-mile runs. Hoping to have the video on youtube today. I'll post it here once it's up.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/27/14 10:24 a.m.

The track was prepped--- and sticky at least in the launch box. Sticky enough that I split the driveshaft in my E36 M3 in two pieces!

I guess BMW didn't design the car for 4K RPM clutch drops on a sticky track. The tires hooked---- but the driveshaft twisted and split in two. I guess the driveshaft was the "fuse"--- hopefully my diff and clutch / trans are ok--- I think they are. Photos to come (once I unload the car from the trailer)

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/27/14 1:12 p.m.

wait, where you driving a piece of E36 M3 or was it actually a E36 M3?

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
10/27/14 2:04 p.m.

They prepped the track all the way to the finish line. I saw them apply VHT twice myself. The MGB wasn't a victim of track prep, it was setup.

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
10/27/14 2:19 p.m.

Track prep was very good this year. The night conditions had an impact through the middle of the track. Our first run was a shakedown and the converter got wounded.The second run showed the injury was real as we lost 2 tenths and 3 MPH. The third run was a scary ride as the car spun the whole pass because I did not do the burn out correctly. The fourth run was an issue because the condition changed. We had to wipe the dew off the windshield to make the pass. If its on the windshield - its on the track. Had to petal first and second, the top end of the track was still good after about 800 feet and we gained 27 MPH on the top end.

If we started the drags an hour earlier, it would have been perfect. The Gainesville folks did a great job this year on the track prep.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/27/14 2:28 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: wait, where you driving a piece of E36 M3 or was it actually a E36 M3?

It was my actual 1997 BMW M3.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1997-bmw-m3/

Poor thing didn't deserve abuse like that. I feel like I kicked a puppy--- a very well behaved, lovable puppy....in the face! Good news is it's back at home, and a new driveshaft will be arriving soon. This car:

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/27/14 3:39 p.m.

Nice E36 M3!

Ehh, I kicked my dog in the face yesterday (really - but not intentional or anything, I didn't see all 80 pounds of him)

He still loved me afterwards and gave me a big lick on my hand. I am sure your car will do the same.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/27/14 4:28 p.m.

I have driven fast cars and slow at both good tracks and bad; I was referring to the track all night as "average".

I know they prepped it and all 420 torques hooked up very well for my crappy street tires. There definitely was a looser area half way down the strip I could feel later in the evening. Probably moisture in the air. I only trapped at 105 and was in a heavy car but could certainly feel it.

I have always been very happy with the effort that they give there in Gainseville. Last year was nothing short of heroic and this year was much better than I have seen at many 'bigger' events. I think those guys there really like us.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
10/27/14 6:25 p.m.

The MGB problems were inexperience and set up, we learned some things and will try to do better next year

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/27/14 7:53 p.m.

I had plenty of traction...

EdHigginbotham
EdHigginbotham Editorial Assistant
10/28/14 8:43 a.m.

Fun video of the MGB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxoDqJEGkos&feature=youtu.be

Bumboclaat
Bumboclaat HalfDork
10/28/14 9:04 a.m.

Did that lift a front tire?

EdHigginbotham wrote: Fun video of the MGB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxoDqJEGkos&feature=youtu.be
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
10/28/14 9:08 a.m.

pimpm3, please please please email me that picture. Tom@GrassrootsMotorsports.com

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Zau51XapQUUK1xczsTcTuRHZ0Cb8WoDFJuu3qOKeLForrb7GH9W64CyxY3Uul5QA