1 2 3 4 5
tuna55
tuna55 Dork
1/13/11 8:20 p.m.
Blitzed306 wrote: And to add a second, I loved my 84 3rdgen camaro to death. Full bolt on Ls1 power, 6 speed. Piece of E36 M3. crap rear end, rattle trap E36 M3 can leaky t-tops. I had a roll cage and new t-top seals. Tach would randomly stop working. Speedo would randomly squeek. Rain would somtimes come in the lille triangle filler panel between the door and glass. Broke a torque arm.... god it was fast, Dyno'd 390hp at the back tires

I had one of those, but I didn't mention it because I want it again. Mine was a 400 small block that eventually ran 12.76. I don't care what they make fun of or how many stereotypes it's associated with, I want that one back.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
1/13/11 8:27 p.m.

2004 VW Golf base model (had power locks and AC, was a 4 door).

It was SLOW. Got mediocre gas mileage for how slow it was. Did I mention it was slow? Oh, and the throwout bearing kersploded on me (thank God it was under warranty, it took a lot of convincing to get them to change it though). The worst thing about the car is nothing stood out about it. It was clean, slammed on 18's, and had a nice rumbly exhaust.

I'd like to own a similiar one though, a 2001 (only year AFAIK) silver 4 door 1.8T (not a GTi, just had the 1.8T) with a manual tranny. I'd do it up exactly the same, throw some expensive coilovers on it so it rode nice (think KW) and DD it.

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 Reader
1/13/11 8:37 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Blitzed306 wrote: And to add a second, I loved my 84 3rdgen camaro to death. Full bolt on Ls1 power, 6 speed. Piece of E36 M3. crap rear end, rattle trap E36 M3 can leaky t-tops. I had a roll cage and new t-top seals. Tach would randomly stop working. Speedo would randomly squeek. Rain would somtimes come in the lille triangle filler panel between the door and glass. Broke a torque arm.... god it was fast, Dyno'd 390hp at the back tires
I had one of those, but I didn't mention it because I want it again. Mine was a 400 small block that eventually ran 12.76. I don't care what they make fun of or how many stereotypes it's associated with, I want that one back.

They are drop dead sexy, make all the right sounds....must resist urges. I love just about everything from the 80's. I really want a 85-87 boxy crown vic with a hot ass 351

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 Reader
1/13/11 8:49 p.m.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/13/11 8:56 p.m.

The only car I have owned that I would never own again is a Nissan Stanza. I HATED that car. Most of the rest of them I have regretted selling. I think I might just collect them from now on.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
1/13/11 9:25 p.m.

Toyman, that's been my plan for the past 24 months

BoneYard_Racing
BoneYard_Racing Reader
1/13/11 9:25 p.m.

The seriously berkeleyed up 86 GLHt Ive bought twice and run about 4 times as many engine/trans/turbo combos through but cant get rid of half finished cage and all.

I had a 91 miata too for about a week it wasnt half as good to drive as I thought the roof coming off got boring quick and I sold it for a huge profit. I cant say I ever loved it and I have no plans to get another

MostExaltedPotentate
MostExaltedPotentate Reader
1/13/11 9:49 p.m.

1980 626 - Nice shape, seriously truck-ish engine. Pretty much the same engine as the SR-5 pickup engine they sold a million of. Nice shape but antithesis of fun.

1985 Impulse - Nice shape, decent revving engine. Truck-ish handling. Check that, Great body shape!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
1/14/11 7:40 a.m.

Huh, that reminds me of the one I would seriously add to this thread, a 86 Isuzu Impulse JR, Had the Trooper 2.6 "Big Block", second gen TII turbo, light flywheel, 5 speed and custom paint.

Nothing but problems, head gaskets were the main bear, but when it ran nobody knew what that little hatch was that just handed them their butt. So many Mustangs and Camaros were embarrassed

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
1/14/11 7:52 a.m.
Blitzed306 wrote:

Does that quad have street tires!?

Oh, and I concur on the Camaro. I had a 91 RS 5sp sometime in the mid-90s and it was surprisingly useful as a hatchback, decent on gas, sounded fantastic, reliable as an anvil and IMO it looked pretty good too. Sure it handled like a pig and I had to drill holes in the floor so the leaky T-tops wouldn't mold up the carpeting but... I still rocked it for over 100k miles.

I wouldn't own another one on purpose for any reason and I'm not even sure why. By all accounts it was a good car but I was happiest watching someone else leave in it.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/11 8:02 a.m.

1984 Datsun Nissan Stanza.

(There was a year when they were labelled as both a Datsun and a Nissan. Weird huh?)

Bought for $500 and was my first fo-ren car with a 5-speed and a hatchback. Compared to the string of Impalas and Cordoba that came before it, it seemed like a revelation! Light, tossable, more than 14mpg! Would certainly own a little hatch again, but not that particular car since I have never seen one since.

Mine was a blue '84 with the recessed headlights, but they are almost impossible to find pictures of.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
1/14/11 8:33 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: 1984 Datsun Nissan Stanza.

That looks like a Chevette from the rear.

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 Reader
1/14/11 8:38 a.m.

I had a break down today and started watching CL for a Fiero. Damn you enablers

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox HalfDork
1/14/11 8:41 a.m.

I am living in momentary bliss from having cash in my pocket from selling my 944 but not yet having purchased another pain in the ass.

wspohn
wspohn Reader
1/14/11 10:57 a.m.

Blitzed306 wrote: I had a break down today and started watching CL for a Fiero. Damn you enablers

Be strong - only look for 1988s and only for V6 cars!

Then you'll be a connoisseur, not someone with low resistance!

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 Reader
1/14/11 11:14 a.m.
wspohn wrote:
Blitzed306 wrote: I had a break down today and started watching CL for a Fiero. Damn you enablers
Be strong - only look for 1988s and only for V6 cars! Then you'll be a connoisseur, not someone with low resistance!

My last Fiero was a 88 Ws6 Formula with T-tops and a stick. Sooo miss that one

Rupert
Rupert New Reader
1/14/11 11:32 a.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: Mazda RX8. It was my dream car of a first car that I would buy after engineering school. I graduated and got a job and bought one. The Winning Metallic Blue color with the exact options I wanted (basically a base model with the LSD). That car handled beautifully! However, It is a gas hog and slower than my FC Turbo II. I think those cars would be perfect with a NA 20B under the hood.

Add a Fast Forward Supercharger while you're doing the swap. That'd be a sweet ride!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/11 1:05 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: That looks like a Chevette from the rear.

Except the rear windows on the Stanza popped open remotely via cable-actuated levers between the front seats!

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/11 1:27 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: 1984 Datsun Nissan Stanza.

That's it!! That's the devil car right there. That thing has the most complicated carburetor I have ever seen. Mine had a rusty tank that I never could get clean enough to keep that damn carb happy. Drive it for a week and replace the fuel filter. In another week, pull the carb down and try to figure out which microscopic passage or needle was stopped up. Parts were stupid expensive for it. I still have the four specially bent wrenches it took to get that carb off just to remind me how much I enjoyed watching the scrap yard crush it. You just can't imagine how much I hated that car.

RogerB
RogerB HalfDork
1/14/11 1:51 p.m.

Current Car:

'99 Ford Contour V6 - I love this car, and up until just recently, I've always dreamed of someday getting an SVT version. But right after New Year's, the starter went out and I spent a day trying to get it out before throwing in the towel and having it towed to a shop. These things really are a PITA to work on. I might feel differently if it was just a "toy" and I didn't depend on it to get to work.

Most other past cars I wouldn't mind having again:

'98 Ford ZX2 - Loved it and would love to have another. Wish I hadn't had to sell it, but needed something bigger to haul kids.

'88 Acura Integra - Loved this car and would probably still be driving it if it hadn't been rear-ended and totaled.

'74 Ford Mustang II - Even though mine was a POS, I would love to have another one to play with.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
1/14/11 2:08 p.m.

I had an old 75 ford truck once. I got it for free and liked it well enough for what it was (a carb vehicle that ran fine, ZOMG) , but id never want another one unless it was free, and if it was free id flip it for profit and buy something else.

Other than that, everything i liked i still like and wouldnt mind having again. My biggest issue with owning so many cars (11 currently iirc) is i cant afford to keep them all legal at the same time. I buy so low that that ends up costing way more than the car, most of the time.

wcelliot
wcelliot HalfDork
1/14/11 2:28 p.m.

A lot of my cars fall into that category... cars I really liked (and still do) but had some aspect that would keep me from ever seriously considering another one:

off the top of my head... SAAB Sonett III

FIAT 850 Spider

Lotus Europa S2

Lotus Esprit

VW Beetle convertible

Auto Union Munga

NSU Sport Prinz

Bond Bug

ex-MOD SIII Land Rover 2.2

Hillman Imp

Mercedes 250SE coupe

Riley RMB/RMF

(Europa) Mercedes G500

fastmiata
fastmiata Reader
1/14/11 3:06 p.m.

1988 MR2 SC. should have been a really sexy and fun car but it wasnt very fast, it was expensive to do anything with and the dang t-tops leaked worse than any Camaro or Firebird ever made by GM. I was just getting involved in racing and didnt have time to make it better. Sold it and leased one of the first R model Miata in 1994.
I keep wondering if I gave it a real opportunity to be a car but then I think of all the times I drove it home with a wet butt and am just glad it got gone.

Mikey52_1
Mikey52_1 HalfDork
1/15/11 5:17 a.m.

'67 Bug, for me. Loved how it drove, hated the lack of heat in a really bitter winter, and then the left side lower ball joint fell apart in the ruts of said winter. When the chance came, it went away. I still lust after a beam-axle Bug, though.

Hullo, my name is Mike and I'm a caraholic...

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/15/11 6:28 a.m.

Another one I loved but wouldn't own again: a 1991 Isuzu Amigo XS. It had all the fun stuff: 4x4, big ol' tires, brush guard, HUGE lights on a light bar, boomin' stereo, you name it. It was fun as all get out and a real head turner, but combining the 2.6/5 speed with a ~ 4000 pound curb weight meant it was slow as February molasses and got awful gas mileage.

Not mine but very similar, don't know who she is.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NrjGXggWnRpHn0qqeq32I3Rwvoc7Ksq7Tf4yMQvM85haxxhOQdiOmGMmG6JYaSKn