DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
5/25/16 2:34 p.m.

If I put the entire drive train and suspension from a donor car into another shell (from a different manufacturer) can I replace all the donor car brake components for new with no hit to the budget?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
5/25/16 2:42 p.m.

I am confused my the question but here is a quote of the rule:

Brake friction materials, lines, calipers, master cylinders, rotors and drums may be replaced with fresh ones that are functional duplicates. The purpose of this rule is to allow for fresh brake components, not to allow for budget shenanigans.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
5/25/16 2:56 p.m.

I'll give an example to clarify what I'm asking. If I stick the entire suspension and brakes from a Mustang into a Toyota Corolla, can I still replace all the Mustang pads,rotors etc for free? There is/was a rule to prevent upgrading the brakes without adding to the budget. Ex. If I buy a Wilwood kit to increase the brake size on the Corolla it would be a budget item.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
5/25/16 3:00 p.m.

The way I read it, it's ANY brake materials that you own. So if you pay for crusty old Mustang brakes, you now own them and can replace the aforementioned bits with new components. I haven't even been to the challenge so I don't know what I'm talking about.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/16 3:16 p.m.

I would simply revert to the "no shenanigans" part of the rule.

Ya I know I am no help. I just wanted to type "shenanigans"

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
5/25/16 3:17 p.m.

Mustang knuckles/arms and rear axles SHOULD be wearing the brakes of the donor car as long as you can show that the donor car HAD brakes when you bought it. I think buying a bare axle and claiming free brakes would be shenanigans.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/25/16 4:28 p.m.

Is the entire cost of the donor car already included in the budget? If so game on, replace rotors, fluid and friction material without issues (and lines if not upgrading to SS).

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
5/25/16 7:22 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift:
The Corolla is a race car and already has braided brake lines.A few adaptors ought to make it usable with Mustang bits.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/26/16 8:08 a.m.

If I am reading this right you have taken the entire drive train from a mustang and put it under a corolla. So mustang axels, spindles, control arms wheels etc is the mustang. And you want to replace the existing mustang brakes ( calipers, rotors, pads) with OEM replacement mustang rotors, calipers, pads. If this is the case then I think it is legal. However, if you are upgrading them to aftermarket parts like slotted rotors, upgraded calipers, or EBC, hawk whatever pads or systems it is a cost you have to count. And any bits that go between the Corolla and mustang bits to adapt the two systems also counts to the budget.

Just my opinion. YMMV

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/26/16 11:37 a.m.

If the entire Mustang donor car is already in the budget, so are it's parts.

Therefore, you can use the old parts from the Mustang on the Toyota. Once on the car, friction materials can be replaced.

I would agree with itsarebuild that you can't then upgrade the Mustang components, however if the old parts on the Mustang donor car were already upgraded, you can use the old (upgraded) parts. I would also say that the existing rule does not say "OEM" it says "functional duplicate". Therefore, if the Mustang had slotted rotors on it and 4 piston calipers and both were shot, you can use the shot ones (assuming they are already in the budget as a donor car). You can then replace them with the "functional duplicate".

It's a pretty big loophole. (I don't write this stuff- I just read it)

Adapter brackets, machining, etc are definitely in the budget.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TjEPBHOuad5X1ErYdsiIL3WhS44plAFRSfGoUqecndRLNASlNdKF20WMJAfUUhna