_
_ Reader
2/27/19 11:20 a.m.

I ran across this in that “Mazda KL thread” that had a link to this crazy kiwi putting a KL in some ancient vauxhall car I’ve never heard of. 

Pretty neat idea. Bend the rods to shape, if you can move all the wood circles freely and take them off, you should be golden. It’s much better Than my method of “measure, measure, chop, fit, tack, measure, remove tack, measure, scrap pie cut, measure again, chop, fit, tack, good?, crawl under car, remove header flange, climb in engine bay, remove the rest of the header flange, take to bench, weld, reinstall header flange, repeat insanity.”

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/27/19 11:26 a.m.

I have used this method with pretty good results.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
2/27/19 11:29 a.m.

Looks like an easy way to get them all the same length!

Or close at least.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
2/27/19 11:57 a.m.

I've used welding rod with pipe insulation before.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/27/19 12:27 p.m.

3d print sections and put them in place:  see bottom of this thread

https://grabcad.com/library/exhaust-bend-sections-1

For a header you probably want free spinning sections though.

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
2/27/19 3:07 p.m.

I really like the welding rod/ pipe insulation idea. Wish I'd thought of it when I (attempted to) make a manifold. Cuz I do not intend to ever try that crap again..

JBasham
JBasham HalfDork
2/27/19 3:08 p.m.

Great idea.  Thanks for sharing.  Seems like it could be useful for mocking up custom duals too.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
2/27/19 3:27 p.m.

In reply to _ :

There might be a problem if two or more pipes need to fit in the same place together.  Or you can’t get that radius in a bend. 

I use plastic PVC pipe and glue.  Easy to cut, accurate as far as bends go.  

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/27/19 4:39 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

This guy has made something similar but spinable, snap together in many tubing sizes and centerline radii.

https://www.thingiverse.com/XeonDesigns/designs

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
2/27/19 5:09 p.m.

That is an amazing idea.  I thought of something else that may work?  WATER NOODLES  Thoughts?  I'm assuming you can get different diameters to compensate for header size?

mke
mke Reader
2/27/19 7:28 p.m.
chknhwk said:

That is an amazing idea.  I thought of something else that may work?  WATER NOODLES  Thoughts?  I'm assuming you can get different diameters to compensate for header size?

The pipe insulation with welding rod inside (I use 1/8" alum tig rod) is about the best I've ever trying short of the way cool lego type header kits.  You can get the stuff in just about any OD...they do move a round a little but but you can get really good results and its dirt cheap.

mke
mke Reader
2/27/19 7:42 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

Nice! A lot of printer time but maybe worth the time investment, I'm told the commercial lego things save a ton of fab time since you know exactly what you need.  With noodles I spent about 40 hours on my headers I think.....holding up different bends and deciding what's closest, cutting...recutting....a lot of time

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/27/19 8:19 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

This guy has made something similar but spinable, snap together in many tubing sizes and centerline radii.

https://www.thingiverse.com/XeonDesigns/designs

Awesome

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
11qTmX652cNGQ9Tm7DRquEY3o2UNwCZUyS6NHJL3y3DdpLFJq8GjSzBGAzWFIMcV