1 2
stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
12/12/08 8:49 a.m.

Here's something you don't see every day...here in Minneapolis there's a half foot of snow on the ground, salt on the streets, it's three below zero, and on the way to work this morning I saw someone in a Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona.

Not my first choice for a winter beater.

wcelliot
wcelliot New Reader
12/12/08 9:37 a.m.

Saturday I got caught in an unforecast ice storm that closed down I-70 in Frederick... was bringing back a very nice 1960 Bentley S2 from western MD and had chosen the day because the roads were clean and dry...

Sitting/crawling for nearly 4 hours I got some interesting looks and comments on the car... I'm sure most folks wondered what idiot would have a car like this out on a day (which turned into a night) like this.

Made it home uneventfully just as the local police closed the road in front of my house... was so slick the wheels spun at every gearchange... I'm thankful for all my WI ice racing experience... ;-)

Bill ps... got to spend a few hours this week "de-salting" everything... but I was surely happy to see the salt on Saturday!

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
12/12/08 11:22 a.m.

I live just down the road from Bill Parfett... He owns the Gilmore Car Museum...dude has the largest collection of Pre-War Cadillacs. I have seen him drive some of them on "questionable" days.

Rangeball
Rangeball New Reader
12/12/08 11:39 a.m.

Speaking of Ferrari's, I saw a red 612 Scaglietti followed by a white VW Beatle with Santa Claus inside on a cell phone. I kid you not. If I had a camera ready I would have made some serious money off that photo. The Ferrari turned and Santa went straight.

tuffburn
tuffburn New Reader
12/12/08 11:42 a.m.

i can see my self doing that and i would, but i have no rational explanation for it. i mean, i would drive any thing in the snow.

EricM
EricM Reader
12/12/08 11:45 a.m.

for Sale Ferarri, always garaged, never seen snow or salt.....

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/12/08 12:31 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Here's something you don't see every day...here in Minneapolis there's a half foot of snow on the ground, salt on the streets, it's three below zero, and on the way to work this morning I saw someone in a Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona. Not my first choice for a winter beater.

Coupe or Spyder?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
12/12/08 12:36 p.m.
Woody wrote: Coupe or Spyder?

Coupe, a red one. I suppose it could have been one of those replicars, but either it was a very good one or it was real.

forzav12
forzav12 New Reader
12/12/08 12:57 p.m.

I'm going to guess it was a Corvette based replica. Most are very easy to spot as they don't have the vent windows or concealed top(for Spyders) featured on the real Ferrari. Considering that vintage F cars are quite valuable and don't have any rust protection to speak of it would surprise me to see one in those conditions. That said, the Daytona is one tough SOB.

Ian F
Ian F Reader
12/12/08 1:07 p.m.

In some ways, no crazier than the reasonably nice mid-60's Mustang I saw driving home last night during a pounding rain storm...

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/12/08 1:11 p.m.

i saw a c6 z06 in the snow a few minutes ago. and i saw a very nice 50's crown vic the other day out in the road salt.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/12/08 2:37 p.m.
Ian F wrote: In some ways, no crazier than the reasonably nice mid-60's Mustang I saw driving home last night during a pounding rain storm...

I owned two reasonably nice mid-60's Mustangs and I could find another one before the end of the weekend if I needed to. The Ferrari guy is way crazier!

And I may be wrong here, but I don't think anyone ever made replicas of the Daytona coupes.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/12/08 2:44 p.m.

Still remember my friend asking the Ferrari board what they use for windshield wipers as he needed to replace them on his 328. Their responses were mostly about why he didn't go with the factory units and he responded with the fact they were too expensive and didn't work very well. Most were amazed when he posted a picture of the car in the snow. Unlike many owners, he actually drives the piss out of his. Too bad he's getting too sick to drive it anymore, he just doesn't have the strength and stamina.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
12/12/08 5:39 p.m.

I saw it again on the way home tonight. It was parked at (appropriately enough) an Italian restaurant. I stopped to check it out, and it indeed is a real one.

forzav12
forzav12 New Reader
12/12/08 6:17 p.m.
Woody wrote:
Ian F wrote: In some ways, no crazier than the reasonably nice mid-60's Mustang I saw driving home last night during a pounding rain storm...
I owned two reasonably nice mid-60's Mustangs and I could find another one before the end of the weekend if I needed to. The Ferrari guy is way crazier! And I may be wrong here, but I don't think anyone ever made replicas of the Daytona coupes.

Some crazy Brits were producing a coupe replica a few years back. Pretty true to the original in appearance, even used a V-12. It was fairly pricey, though and i believe they received a knock on the door by the lads from Maranello.

YaNi
YaNi New Reader
12/12/08 9:23 p.m.

There's a guy in Toledo that drives a Porsche 968 through the winter. It makes me very angry that these fools can put rare cars out in the salt.

Lugnut
Lugnut Reader
12/12/08 9:41 p.m.
YaNi wrote: There's a guy in Toledo that drives a Porsche 968 through the winter. It makes me very angry that these fools can put rare cars out in the salt.

I used to drive my 968 year round. In fact, all of my galvanized P-cars saw winter duty. The only ones that slept for the winter were the 914 and the '72 911. They both would have dissolved after a winter or two.

I really, really dislike having to put away a car for the winter. If I have it, I drive it.

NickF40
NickF40 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/13/08 8:14 a.m.
Lugnut wrote:
YaNi wrote: I really, really dislike having to put away a car for the winter. If I have it, I drive it.
Exactly, which is why I applaud the Daytona guy, my hero! My kind of Ferrari owner/driver/enthusiast.
Sonic
Sonic New Reader
12/13/08 8:54 a.m.

A friend of mine drives his 996 Turbo X50 all year long. He put on a set of snows and just drives it, no matter what the weather. Best daily driver ever!

gamby
gamby SuperDork
12/13/08 11:39 a.m.
Sonic wrote: A friend of mine drives his 996 Turbo X50 all year long. He put on a set of snows and just drives it, no matter what the weather. Best daily driver ever!

I wonder how many miles are on that thing at this point???

I've always wanted to get my hands on it to give it a proper detailing. Something makes me think TT doesn't worry about swirl marks.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
12/13/08 11:41 a.m.
Rangeball wrote: I saw a red 612 Scaglietti followed by a white VW Beatle

sachilles
sachilles Reader
12/13/08 12:11 p.m.

I work for a ski resort in the east. We had a guest come up to the mountain with his Ferrari. They day he arrived was gorgeous and the roads were bare. He didn't anticipate the weather, and we got hit with snow. At first he tried to drive it, but quickly found that it wasn't a good idea, and nearly couldn't get it back in the parking garage. He ultimately had to leave it here, and arrange other transportation.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
12/13/08 1:48 p.m.

Driving my brother's '69 911 ('The Hong Norrsche) from Denver to Tampa:

W/GRM sweatshirt

Jay
Jay HalfDork
12/15/08 5:10 a.m.

The town I used to live in had a gentleman with a mid-'80s (Guigaro) Esprit that would go on four snows every winter and just keep driving. Fiberglass body with galvanised frame, why not?

I'd be a bit worried about some numbskull in a Tahoe monstertrucking over me because he couldn't figure out how to steer on ice though.

J

tuffburn
tuffburn New Reader
12/15/08 6:58 a.m.
Jay wrote: The town I used to live in had a gentleman with a mid-'80s (Guigaro) Esprit that would go on four snows every winter and just keep driving. Fiberglass body with galvanised frame, why not? I'd be a bit worried about some numbskull in a Tahoe monstertrucking over me because he couldn't figure out how to steer on ice though. J

hey! i'm a numbskull that drives a tahoe!
but my wagon can haul more, understeer more, turn better, doesn't have abs and isn't an automatic.
that said, the tahoe will never get stuck unless you are really dumb, it has cruise control, leather non torn seats and more functioning speakers. oh and gobs of torque.

man, anyone notice that during snow storms everyone either drive like a bat out of hell or drives numbingly slow? there is seriously no middle ground that i see out here in fair michigan.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5GmiT0bORhEsGfMhDIiv0BsTxUEpS2E1C9KwNzt9D59rGyINewQ8AeUzGZcKclJQ