1 2
Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
12/15/08 9:58 a.m.

I once saw writer Clive Cussler driving his Duesenberg out in the snow in the Denver suburbs. That thing had more ground clearance than most SUVs.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/15/08 11:20 a.m.

i just saw:

MINT 71 chevelle malibu - base model 2 door post

perfectly original looking 6" wide rally wheels, red with black vinyl top.

with an OLD lady who looked like she bought it new driving it.

out in the rain and road salt.

daytonaer
daytonaer New Reader
12/15/08 11:26 a.m.
tuffburn wrote: man, anyone notice that during snow storms everyone either drive like a bat out of hell or drives numbingly slow? there is seriously no middle ground that i see out here in fair michigan.

My theory; they have got stuck at the bottom of a hill in a past storm and "conserve" momentum (my father). Or they have slid off the road before and hit something so they creep along (myself). The people driving normal either have good tires or great skills (no one I know).

I drove my 'vette all last winter. My thought process was plastic body/galvanized frame. My thoughts did not extend to the chrome rims and steel brake lines the salt subsequently murdered.

Now the insurance company won't let me take cars off insurance for the winter unless I turn in my plates, so I'm forced to insure them all year. Why wouldn't I drive them then.

Hey, its still only a car, no matter what it is.

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
12/15/08 11:26 a.m.
patgizz wrote: i just saw: MINT 71 chevelle malibu - base model 2 door post perfectly original looking 6" wide rally wheels, red with black vinyl top. with an OLD lady who looked like she bought it new driving it. out in the rain and road salt.

Probably the old man's "retirement car" she and the old lady just out lived him. and now drives it twice a week, 10 miles total.

Ian F
Ian F Reader
12/15/08 12:38 p.m.
Woody wrote: I owned two reasonably nice mid-60's Mustangs and I could find another one before the end of the weekend if I needed to. The Ferrari guy is way crazier! And I may be wrong here, but I don't think anyone ever made replicas of the Daytona coupes.

True... I pass by two derelict Rustangs every day..

I think there was a Daytona replica that used a Datsun 240 as a base. IIRC, it was reasonably convincing at first glance.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/15/08 1:14 p.m.

Factory Five (a GRM advertiser) makes Cobra Daytona Coupes. As does Superperformance. And a few others...

Now if you're talking Ferrari's are you talking the Daytona or the car raced at Daytona (the 250 GTO). There were a few 250 GTO replicas made, and yes based on the z-car. There were about a zillion Daytona replicas made on all sorts of chassis (Camaro, Z-car, RX-7, etc, etc).

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
12/15/08 2:10 p.m.
P71 wrote: Now if you're talking Ferrari's are you talking the Daytona or the car raced at Daytona (the 250 GTO). There were a few 250 GTO replicas made, and yes based on the z-car. There were about a zillion Daytona replicas made on all sorts of chassis (Camaro, Z-car, RX-7, etc, etc).

For the purposes of this discussion, as I mentioned in the first post the car was a 365 GTB/4 Daytona, and it was a real one.

forzav12
forzav12 New Reader
12/15/08 9:10 p.m.
P71 wrote: Factory Five (a GRM advertiser) makes Cobra Daytona Coupes. As does Superperformance. And a few others... Now if you're talking Ferrari's are you talking the Daytona or the car raced at Daytona (the 250 GTO). There were a few 250 GTO replicas made, and yes based on the z-car. There were about a zillion Daytona replicas made on all sorts of chassis (Camaro, Z-car, RX-7, etc, etc).

Actually both Ferraris raced at Daytona, with the 365 GTB/4 finishing second one year('79) as a near vintage racer-driven by Tony Adamowicz and John Morton. The "Daytona" was a fantastic endurance racer and did well at Lemans and Daytona in nearly stock condition.

P71
12/16/08 9:05 a.m.

Forza! You finally came to a good car site! (I used to post on LS1GTO) You have to show these nuts your collection, they will love you! Thanks for the history, I love Ferraris but I don't have it all quite worked out yet

stuart, Ah! Would have helped if I went back and read that. Are you sure it was real? Most of the real ones were hacked up into Spyders so most of the hardtops these days are replicas.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
12/16/08 9:26 a.m.

As far as I could tell without opening the hood, it was real - I stopped and looked at it. Borrani wheels, genuine interior, the exhaust system, all the badges and such.

Here's a possible followup to the story....I heard this on the radio this morning:

A man is in jail after police say he shot up a country club he belonged to. It happened early Monday morning when the club was closed.

The Minikahda Club boasts one of the best views of Lake Calhoun that Minneapolis has to offer. However, the talk on Monday was about the five bullet holes in the front door.

Minneapolis Police say 63-year-old Joseph Conrad Rice, drove his '72 Ferrari to the club where a security guard watched him pull the trigger. They found his half million-dollar classic car still warm at his lakefront home a block away when they arrested Rice with two guns.

No one from the Minikahda Club would say if Rice was still a member or just what he was so mad about, only that the club is thankful no one was hurt.

"It's my understanding he did have some sort of dispute with the club. I can't really speak to just what that dispute was about," said Minneapolis Police Sgt. Bill Palmer.

Rice's trouble with police started a while ago. He was arrested for not paying cab fare a couple times recently, and just days before the shooting he said he was the victim of a crime when he reported his Mercedes stolen.

Friends say Rice had recently retired and seemed to be having some trouble. A neighbor says she gave him a bottle of vodka on Sunday afternoon after he came to her door asking for it.

Rice is in the Hennepin County Jail. He could be charged in the next few days with shooting into the club and damaging its door.

I don't know if it's the same Ferrari, but I can't imagine there's too many of them being driven around in Minneapolis in December. Hmm....

P71
12/16/08 9:28 a.m.

Holy hell man! That's pretty crazy! Guess that finally explains it though, it would take a nutjob wanting to shoot a country club door to drive a half-million classic Ferrari in that weather...

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/16/08 9:31 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote: A neighbor says she gave him a bottle of vodka on Sunday afternoon after he came to her door asking for it.

At least he had good neighbors

Lugnut
Lugnut Reader
12/16/08 11:30 a.m.

Wow, so do you think you witnessed the getaway, or the drive to the club?

Just think, if the dude was driving a Maxima you never would have known that you were looking at a crazy crazy shooter!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
12/16/08 3:08 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: I saw it again on the way home tonight. It was parked at (appropriately enough) an Italian restaurant. I stopped to check it out, and it indeed is a real one.

I was just talking to my boss. He and his wife went to the restaurant mentioned above the same night for dinner, and he saw the Ferrari parked there as well.

He asked the restaurant manager about it; that guy had no idea why it was parked there or who it belonged to, and had actually called a tow company to haul it away. When the tow truck driver showed up and saw what the car was, he refused to touch it and left.

I don't even want to think about a Ferrari being hauled on the hook to the impound lot.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap New Reader
12/16/08 5:09 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: When the tow truck driver showed up and saw what the car was, he refused to touch it and left.

Most tow truck drivers I've seen would have instantly started adding on costs:

Italian car? That requires special hooks, that'll be an extra $75.

V12? That's heavier than a V8, so there's the extra fuel surcharge: $55

This car doesn't have snow tires, but it's snowing! I have to drive extra slow so I don't damage it, costing me money! That'll be a $245 fee.

We can't leave this nice car outside! Internal storage is $155 a day

I bet the battery goes dead if if its not driven regularly, so we have to start it up and drive it around the city twice a day. That's a $228 fee, plus another fuel surcharge of $4.45 a gallon.

Of course when the owner showed up with his gun, or his lawyer, the price probably would have dropped quite a bit.

Bob

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/17/08 2:18 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote: I don't even want to think about a Ferrari being hauled on the hook to the impound lot.

They roll along as nice as anything else, the biggest pains are Vipers.

byron12
byron12 New Reader
12/17/08 2:27 a.m.

I once saw a countach at a local towing company. I stopped for the story an the car owners boyfriend had backed into a police car, he got a dui and they apparently spent three hours loading on the tow truck.:D

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qXUpR3YLfvyndEO9CTfbPu2jZDptYdRMro6oW6WKSTdLNTFT8WuhA5Ik90425Lux