1 2
Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
5/20/13 6:35 p.m.

I found a low mileage 05 V6 "Appearnace Pack" semi-locally for $13K and dropping.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
5/20/13 6:46 p.m.
mancha wrote: Just an FYI, you can purchase all parts needed to turn a base model v6 into a "pony package" car without the premium price tag through newtakeoff.com, as well as Roush, Saleen, and other upgrade companies. You can also upgrade to 05-09 GT 12.4" front brakes for under $150, or the 11+ 13.2" GT front brakes for not much more. On the plus side of the 4.6, it's all aluminum, whereas the v6 had an iron block. I'm unsure about the v6 heads. I wouldn't pay more than $15k for a NICE GT, and maybe $7-8k for the v6. I paid $14k for my old 05 GT with 50k miles on the clock back in 2009 from a Nissan stealership, and it was a premium model.

This. Seriously, the Pony Package will have a premium price, and you can upgrade a "base" V6 for cheap.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/20/13 8:51 p.m.
mancha wrote: Just an FYI, you can purchase all parts needed to turn a base model v6 into a "pony package" car without the premium price tag through newtakeoff.com, as well as Roush, Saleen, and other upgrade companies. You can also upgrade to 05-09 GT 12.4" front brakes for under $150, or the 11+ 13.2" GT front brakes for not much more. On the plus side of the 4.6, it's all aluminum, whereas the v6 had an iron block. I'm unsure about the v6 heads. I wouldn't pay more than $15k for a NICE GT, and maybe $7-8k for the v6. I paid $14k for my old 05 GT with 50k miles on the clock back in 2009 from a Nissan stealership, and it was a premium model.

That's a pretty cool website, though there's not much that I need from them right now. I bookmarked it for the future though.

I've often wondered about the 300 hp V6 Mustang stick as a cheap track rat.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/20/13 9:06 p.m.
Woody wrote: I've often wondered about the 300 hp V6 Mustang stick as a cheap track rat.

Like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-Ford-Mustang-Pony-Pkg-Coupe-2-Door-4-0L-/111073187704?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19dc7a5778

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
5/21/13 12:26 a.m.

Javelin, I know you're already focused on the 4.0 V6 cars. In their favor, they have better low-down torque than the 3.7. Which will be very useful on the autocross course. :-)

David

kanaric
kanaric Reader
5/21/13 4:37 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: The 4.0L is a complete pile of crap. OTher than that, I got nothing.

I don't think it's bad it's just 10 years behind engines like the Nissan VQ

Can anything be done with the 4.0 at all? I mean other 90s engines like what was in BMWs at the time have a lot of potential. I just picture a 4.0 engine with maybe aftermarket cams or head work can't possibly be that bad but with Ford it seems that it is.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
5/21/13 6:00 a.m.

I've seen supercharged sixes make tons of power. Like any other engine, you just have to build around or reinforce the weak spots. If you already have a six there's no reason to sell it and buy an 8, but if you're looking to buy with the intent of building a power car, there's no reason to get a six when you can get an eight.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
5/21/13 7:23 a.m.
ultraclyde wrote: I've seen supercharged sixes make tons of power. Like any other engine, you just have to build around or reinforce the weak spots. If you already have a six there's no reason to sell it and buy an 8, but if you're looking to buy with the intent of building a power car, there's no reason to get a six when you can get an eight.

Yep. You can build up the 4.0L V6, though you'll have a slight difficulty finding some of the more hardcore parts at this point. (I'm talking internals and forced induction.) You can buy an intake and tune right away, and there are kits for swapping over to a GT's dual exhaust.

The biggest weak link is the stock 7.5" rear axle and its open differential. (This is easy and cheap to upgrade; you only need to change the rear pinion flange to swap to the 8.8" rear. All of the suspension parts are the same.) The stock automatic transmission is fine to over 300 horsepower, which is a 50% increase over stock.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
5/21/13 9:11 a.m.

Yeah, this is a SWMBO nice car / AX toy, there will be no FI or crazy building in it's future. She likes things closer to stock. It will get tires for sure, and then later on maybe some combo of shocks, springs, swaybars, UCA/LCA's, and a panhard bar. The engine will likely be untouched less a set of duals, a tuner, and maybe a CAI.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
5/21/13 9:13 a.m.

Go forth and buy a V6 Mustang, my son.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
5/21/13 11:08 a.m.

Besides, the next 8.8" I buy is for the Javelin!

dj06482
dj06482 Dork
5/21/13 12:17 p.m.

With an auto, the transmission tune can make a big difference in driveability and performance, as well.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
aWzYXICb0tTrziQVliC4ykrwaCTpWMfXkisecxFhnPUDPaBbwrkuuOEX5lC1t1kg