hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
4/21/11 8:13 a.m.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
4/21/11 8:22 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
bravenrace wrote:
tuna55 wrote: Here is what you do to make that car make sense. Take yourself out of the typical Civic buyer mentality. Not remove the nameplate from the car mentally and slap on "Accord". Now look at buying a four door midsize car, and an Accord Si. Now everything makes sense. If they made a Fit Si, you could consider that the Civic Si. Weight and size has made these things unrecognizable.
I have no idea what you just said.
I am trying to say that this new 2012 car makes way more sense as an Accord to those that say it's not enough like the Civis of old.

Okay, I get what you're saying now.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
4/21/11 8:24 a.m.
hrdlydangerous wrote:

A stock one can't.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
4/21/11 8:26 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Didn't like the old ones. Don't like the new ones. I didn't think they could get any more bland, but once again Honda showed me that I could be wrong.

The old ones may be bland, and the new ones may be bland, but if you think the new one is blander than the old one, you must be blind.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
4/21/11 8:28 a.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

Hmm, still no replies that maybe, just maybe adding 31 lb ft of torque to a car that may look like a corolla but defintely doesn't drive like one, may be a good thing. BTW, I hate all Toyota's, Impreza's, Miata's and E30's. I'm just sayin'.

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
4/21/11 8:31 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to bravenrace: Hmm, still no replies that maybe, just maybe adding 31 lb ft of torque to a car that may look like a corolla but defintely doesn't drive like one, may be a good thing. BTW, I hate all Toyota's, Impreza's, Miata's and E30's. I'm just sayin'.

A couple of us said that it looked like a nice Accord. That counts.

corytate
corytate Reader
4/21/11 8:38 a.m.

that is a significant difference, but the only si's I like are hatches.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/21/11 8:40 a.m.
cghstang wrote: In reply to tuna55: '07 was the first year for the sedan Si in the US as far as I know. I'd take any year 8th gen. if it was cheap enough. '12 Si Couple

that thing looks like when a cartoon character gets hit on the head with a frying pan and their head keeps the shape.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
4/21/11 8:46 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to bravenrace: BTW, I hate all Toyota's, Impreza's, Miata's and E30's. I'm just sayin'.

Ah... so you're a blind brand shopper. Got it. I'm a friggin Hyundai humper but even I don't have a blind hatred for everything from an automaker. I do dislike just about everything Hondar and Toyodar are making today... but that's because their prices have skyrocketed, they product quality has plunged and they're not making anything people want anymore.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
4/21/11 8:48 a.m.
bravenrace wrote:
Bobzilla wrote: Didn't like the old ones. Don't like the new ones. I didn't think they could get any more bland, but once again Honda showed me that I could be wrong.
The old ones may be bland, and the new ones may be bland, but if you think the new one is blander than the old one, you must be blind.

Hurling insults over what someone thinks of a car design? I understand you're a hondar nutswinger but c'mon man. I think it looks bad. It's an opinion.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
4/21/11 8:52 a.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

You are correct - I was wrong. From the next lane over I thought the tach was an analog speedo. That giant digital speedo makes me laugh everytime though. Why do I need to be able to read it from the other lane? That is enough to cross a Civic off my car buying list right there. I'll agree that more torque is better, but my point is that it will still be a civic toyota-appliance-like facsimilie of a car. Just my opinion, I don't have to like them for you to like them. Doesn't make them bad cars, just cars that I don't care about.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
4/21/11 9:00 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
bravenrace wrote: In reply to bravenrace: BTW, I hate all Toyota's, Impreza's, Miata's and E30's. I'm just sayin'.
Ah... so you're a blind brand shopper. Got it. I'm a friggin Hyundai humper but even I don't have a blind hatred for everything from an automaker. I do dislike just about everything Hondar and Toyodar are making today... but that's because their prices have skyrocketed, they product quality has plunged and they're not making anything people want anymore.

You apparently didn't see the smiley at the end of my statement. I'm no blind brand shopper by any means. Did you see my glowing comments about Hyundai's in the other thread? And in reality, my next car will likely be all American, meaning branded and built.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
4/21/11 9:01 a.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Sorry, You aren't blind, I just think you are. That's an opinion, right?

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand HalfDork

I think it's a step in the right direction. The current chassis needs more torque. My wife had an 08 4-door and it was ok to drive, reliable and never had issues but it really needed a little more power. We test drove all of the "small" sedans when we bought it and the Honda really was the best in our eyes. The new body style Elantra wasn't out at the time so the civic Flogged the old one, however buying a 2010 civic may have been different as it would have been compared to the new elantra, the Suzuki K thing, and the redesigned Kia. In 08 it was really a 2 horse race between the Civic and the Corolla for us.

Everyone is making their small car move upmarket. Hyundai just unveiled their re-designed Accent that is bigger then the old. It looks like it is almost the previous generation Elantra size. The Sonatta is now a "full" size car. I think the only company planning a car size "reduction" is Chevy with the new Malibu being smaller (slightly) then the old one. Car companys continuously move cars up in size and bring in a new one to replace it. The accord is comically large, the Civic is the size of the old (late 80's early 90's accord) and the Fit is new and is about the same size as the 89 civic's. Toyota has done the same with the corrolla, Camry and now the Yaris. Nissan used to make the small economy car called the sentra and a larger car the altima.. Now they make 2 nearly identically sized cars (altima/maxima), a Mid sized Sentra, and the Versa. I'm waiting for this to happen with trucks. I wan my late 80's size S-10, Toyota, Mighty max size truck back!!

Fletch1
Fletch1 Reader

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5277NBDWFhU

Yes, extra torque is great. 22% increase.

Now, if they would just make this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmOffqwWrJU

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
4/21/11 9:03 a.m.
bravenrace wrote:
hrdlydangerous wrote:
A stock one can't.

Show me what stock car can!

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
4/21/11 9:04 a.m.

In reply to T.J.:

I assume because you didn't know about the tach-speedo thing that you've never driven one. The si is far from an appliance, even if it looks like one. I have always put the most priority on how a car drives and how good I feel in the cockpit than the looks. If you are the same way, you might want to drive one before passing judgement. But really, my only point with this thread is the torque. After years fo hearing people here complain about Honda's with no torque (and I agree), I thought people would be interested in this information. So I was just a little surprised to get every opinion on earth EXCEPT those that deal with the increase in torque.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
4/21/11 9:05 a.m.

In reply to carguy123:

That's a good point.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
4/21/11 9:25 a.m.

No comment on the improved torque from me as I have not driven either version so I would be talking out of my ass ... again

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
4/21/11 9:51 a.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

Again, you are correct. Never driven one. I've ridden in two of them. Didn't like the extreme slope of the windshield or the dash. Don't like the styling. To me, cars are a bit like shoes. When I go to buy a new pair of shoes, I look for the ones that I like the looks of and then see how they feel on my feet. I don't try on every pair in the store in an all out effort to get the pair that feels the best without regard to looks and styling.

For that reason the current Civic is just not on my list of cars to even consider. If it performed like an Exige then ok, I'll take a look. Until then, I'm not interested. Like I said, it is my subjective opinion and has no bearing on the worthiness of the car overall. I'm allowed to be biased and unreasonable - it is an opinion after all.

I don't think anyone is in disagreement about more torque being better.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
4/21/11 9:55 a.m.

I don't complain about Honda's and lack of torque. I own a Fit. When I was shopping for it, I wanted a small car, and the Civic is no longer a small car. The only other Honda I've ever owned was an 1981 Accord hatchback. That was quite a bit smaller than today's Fit.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
4/21/11 9:59 a.m.
bravenrace wrote:

Which old one are we talking about? The Civic died to me with the death of the EK. And the EG coupe is the best looking of the bunch.

The seventh generation Si looks like a minivan and the normal ones are very boring same with the eight generation. The only good looking ones were only available in Europe.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
4/21/11 10:04 a.m.
hrdlydangerous wrote:

It sure can with a 2jz in it.....

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
4/21/11 10:06 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:

KILL IT WITH FIRE

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.