1 2 3 4
bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
4/21/11 10:07 a.m.

In reply to T.J.:

I undertand. But as you probably know, the lack of torque in Honda's has come up quite a few times, and I agree. Sometimes I really like a car that revs, and I've considered buying an S2000 a few times, and it REALLY lacks torque. But a certain amount of torque, and a balance of torque and HP is a good thing for a street car. I own an '88 CRX si and '90 Civic si, and I know that the new Civic isn't the same, just like many other cars. I'm just saying that the added torque would likely make the driving experience more enjoyable for me. I test drove a current gen si coupe a couple years ago when I was looking for a car, and passed on it because of looks and that you had to rev the hell out of it to get to the power. So I'm definitely no Honda fan boy. I shop around and buy the car I think is best for me, regardless of the make. I do have a soft spot for EF's, but not as daily drivers.
I did say that "in my opinion" the new one is better looking than the old one. That doesn't mean I think it's beautiful, just better. A couple people here were offended that I questioned their judgement on looks while at the same time questioning mine! I don't care about that. I won't be buying a Civic. I do ride/drive with a carpool buddy every other day in an '07 Civic, and while I didn't like the interior at first, it grew on me over time. The point of the two tier dash, in addition to breaking up what is admittedly a really deep dash, is to put the speedometer where you can see it without taking your eyes off the road. Is it necessary? Probably not, but it is kind of nice once you get used to it. Dont hold your breath for a Civic that drives like an Exige.

WilberM3
WilberM3 HalfDork
4/21/11 10:15 a.m.

i dont like the proportions of the coupe. looks like too much rear end given everything that's going on up front.

and seriously, WHY does this seemingly ALWAYS happen to the US market? they dabble with one trim of one (often compromised) model and it doesnt sell as well as in other markets and make the blanket assumption that NA doesnt want ANY of them.... (i'm talking about hatches here, but i think it rings true with many other products)

If you were holding your breath in hopes that Honda would grace the American market with a resurrected Civic hatch, we're sorry to tell you that the company has no interest in bringing a three- or five-door compact to the market. That's despite the fact that both Ford and Hyundai clearly think the notion has legs. The reasoning is that Honda believes the large majority of American buyers don't want the extra functionality.
92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
4/21/11 10:16 a.m.

I find most Hondas to have sufficient torque. But it comes from gearing. I'm ok with that. I like to shift anyways.

WilberM3
WilberM3 HalfDork
4/21/11 10:18 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
KILL IT WITH FIRE

change out the ugly light/grille treatment and i like the shape. short and tidy like a hatch ought to be.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
4/21/11 10:21 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
KILL IT WITH FIRE

You sir are crazy.

92CelicaHalfTrac
4/21/11 10:23 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
KILL IT WITH FIRE
You sir are crazy.

Absolutely! But that is still hideous.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
4/21/11 10:24 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
KILL IT WITH FIRE
You sir are crazy.

Minus that thing in between the headlights, that thing is awesome

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
4/21/11 10:25 a.m.

Here is one without that front end treatment.

92CelicaHalfTrac
4/21/11 10:25 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
KILL IT WITH FIRE
You sir are crazy.
Minus that thing in between the headlights, that thing is awesome

I won't make fun of you for your opinion, but i can safely say that i would not own that thing unless it was given to me for free at gunpoint.

92CelicaHalfTrac
4/21/11 10:26 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Here is one without that front end treatment.

That's a little better... But i still wouldn't pay for one or actively want one.

The hood curve just looks all wrong to me.

On another note, i'm convinced that white on white paint scheme will make even the ugliest turd look acceptable.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
4/21/11 10:30 a.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac:

I might test drive it if that Type-R was available over here. But I don't exactly love it or care there it isn't over here. I am just saying it is 8 million times better looking then the bland boring thing we got here.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
4/21/11 10:38 a.m.

Not sure how a civic that looks like a 2 door Murano is any better than what we get over here.

midknight
midknight Reader
4/21/11 10:53 a.m.

It's all relative. That red Civic above is way better looking than the 2012 Civic/Corolla that started this thread. And the white on white is HAWT!! You all are getting old.. Yes, 22% more torque is great in a car that could use 44% more torque, but I know I like a balance of power, style, and the sleeper look. The last gen Civic Si's were a decent balance of all. If they just didn't munch clutches so badly

Vigo
Vigo Dork
4/21/11 12:34 p.m.

2012 civic:

CR-Z front

Corolla flanks

2004 Camry taillights.

failboat
failboat Reader
4/21/11 12:59 p.m.

^ this.

no matter how nice it may be under the hood.......it bears such a strong resemblance to the pinnacle of boring appliances that it completely turns me off. And the Civic coupe looks exactly like an Accord Coupe (a shining example of model bloat) only a little smaller.

midknight
midknight Reader
4/21/11 1:11 p.m.

That's the rear of it? Geeesh! Uugh. Why on earth use the Corolla as a styling inspiration? I won't even get one as a rental. Barf.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
4/21/11 1:11 p.m.

I like the dynamics and character of recent Civic Si models, but the styling is bland. If it's gotta be bland, I'd at least like the utility of a hatchback. Honda fails at delivering a product I want AND can use since somewhere around 2002.

Additional torque is great, but if I were just going to drive a spec sheet that didn't need to be useful I'd have a V-6 Mustang. Unfortunately that doesn't fit my lifestyle or my budget.

92CelicaHalfTrac
4/21/11 1:13 p.m.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
4/21/11 3:15 p.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac: