John Webber
John Webber
12/14/17 2:50 p.m.

Like stories like this? You’ll see every article as soon as it's published by reading the print edition of Grassroots Motorsports. Subscribe Now

Participants in the 2006 Hot Rod Power Tour were amazed to find a little British Morris Minor Traveller hidden among the lead sleds and ratrods. As the weeklong tour progressed through brutal summer heat, those observers …

Read the rest of the story

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
12/14/17 3:35 p.m.

I’ve loved Travellers since I was a young boy. In fact I owned one at age 16.  I paid only $15 for it but had to give the newish battery to the owners to get it that cheap.  

I bought it not running and without a battery so I had a buddy tow me home.  Brakes? I don’t need no brakes I’ll just put it in gear and let the compression stop me.  

Did you know that a car with a generator will run without a battery?  I didn’t.  But apparently they do because about 4 stops later I couldn’t stop when the engine started. ( I’d left the key in the on position)  so I ran into my buddies pickup truck. Luckily he had a big wooden timber as a rear bumper and it was bumper height of a Morris Minor. 

That was just the beginning of my adventures with that Woodie.  Eventually we blew up the old 948 throwing a rod out the side of the block.  Miles from home in the early hours of the morning I just kept driving on the freeway at reduced rpm but throttle flat to the floor.  I’d love to tell you it got me home but it lacked a block and a half when it finally ground to a halt.  

The replacement engine was out of a Desoto Hemi  red ram and no it wasn’t tidy.  I’ve since owned 5 others but would dearly love to rescue one more

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
12/14/17 3:41 p.m.

I saw this Morris in 2013 at the Power Tour.  It was wearing Tweels.  Really cool car.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/14/17 3:49 p.m.

Where did they get Tweels?  I didn't think those were actually available for sale.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
12/14/17 7:29 p.m.

I would love to have a Morris Minor 1000 again.  Only this time it would have a supercharged Zetec instead of a built 1275.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon New Reader
12/14/17 7:53 p.m.

That’s a neat build and probably goes pretty good. That being a lot of engines in a minor would make it a rocket compared to stock lol.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/15/17 8:19 a.m.

Very nice ride.  Always had a strange fascination for offbeat vehicles.  This particular Woody gives me a.....well you know!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
12/15/17 10:11 a.m.

That car has been to our British car show at Furman a few times.  It is extremely well done.     

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hegCAaAAqux3iD3ARTrAYklDmacrbl7qDaWhzwz3DiROjeYdHGky8GPNwDujlG5s