Lugnut
Lugnut Reader
10/24/08 8:44 p.m.

I replaced the water pump on my Volvo today. I was in a rush because the rain was coming and I knew I had a busy Saturday lined up for me. Since I was trying to beat the rain I figured I could save a few minutes and not actually remove the radiator, just the fan and shroud. After all, there is plenty of room between the water pump and the radiator, right?

Well, sure, there is some room, but I am a fool. I punched the pulley studs on the nose of the old water pump right through my radiator, which was recently re-cored by the previous owner a couple weeks before I picked it up. So my $36 water pump job is now a $156 radiator and water pump job. Good job, me.

Ian F
Ian F Reader
10/24/08 9:42 p.m.

My condolences. I hate it when that happens.

I'm in the middle of replacing front wheel bearings and brakes in my TDI... and the discs don't want to let go of the hubs... ...I'm hoping to avoid breaking anything. Already soaking in PB Blaster... tried heat...

2002maniac
2002maniac New Reader
10/25/08 1:27 a.m.
Ian F wrote: My condolences. I hate it when that happens. I'm in the middle of replacing front wheel bearings and brakes in my TDI... and the discs don't want to let go of the hubs... ...I'm hoping to avoid breaking anything. Already soaking in PB Blaster... tried heat...

give the rotor a god whack with a hand sledge.

you wont break anything...

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Reader
10/25/08 5:28 a.m.

Been there........done that. Or at least something very similar. The wonders of car repair.

ncjay
ncjay New Reader
10/25/08 5:32 a.m.

On any car that I can make the modification on, I replace the water pump pulley studs with regular bolts for that exact reason. I haven't punctured a radiator, but it does make life a little easier.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
10/25/08 6:48 a.m.

Next time slide a section of cardboard in there to protect.

Oh don't forget to remove the cardboard when done.....BTDT had fan on and was just about to start the truck.

Ian F
Ian F Reader
10/25/08 9:12 p.m.
2002maniac wrote: give the rotor a god whack with a hand sledge. you wont break anything...

Oh... I was beating the freakin' crap out of it... It finally let go this morning... fortunately, the other side was not quite as stubborn...

Then I had to cut the bloody tie-rod end nuts off... This alone probably doubled the time needed to do the job...

Of course, this did not stop me from screwing up the first bearing installation (improper tool use)... thus requiring a new bearing (which thankfully, Pep Boys had in stock). And I almost screwed up that one as well... but was able to salvage it...

Passenger side went much smoother.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hxs3z67hPwox8Xq1Ve6Nb5fJFCNDZqllOu1nfKfLGjx4KxzdAYNhnlKK5mlqBUf5