Rangeball
Rangeball New Reader
12/18/08 9:39 a.m.

So I had a religious experience on Monday. My cousin bought a 996 Porsche GT3 this past summer and I have been waiting for school to get over so I could hang out. After a nice cruise in the county side, he says, "you want to drive."

My hands are still shaking and I am still smiling from ear to ear.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
12/18/08 9:51 a.m.

cool.

I had a similar experience, though at much much lower speeds. My friends dad let me drive his newly 99 point restored 1930 Model A Phaeton. supposedly it is the nicest one in existence according to some judge or another.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Reader
12/18/08 10:15 a.m.

I've had a religous experience too.

It involved towing my race car into Canada over the narrow, high, Thousand Island Bridge on a windy day with my old StepVan.

Much more scary than actual racing!

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
12/18/08 10:32 a.m.
Rangeball wrote: So I had a religious experience on Monday. My cousin bought a 996 Porsche GT3 this past summer and I have been waiting for school to get over so I could hang out. After a nice cruise in the county side, he says, "you want to drive." My hands are still shaking and I am still smiling from ear to ear.

That's great! I am envious.

Sounds like an updated and more extreme version on my first 911 driving experience. A friend handed me the keys to his 1970 911S. It wieghed about 2100 lbs with me in it and had a high revving 180 hp 2.2 liter motor. On paper it is pretty close to a current Lotus Elise. Unlike the Lotus it was runnnig skinny 1970 spec tires (185/70/15's) and had a large portion of the wieght hanging past the rear tires. It had that oh-so-famous training throtte oversteer. It was a handful to drive. But a really fun handful.

WilD
WilD Reader
12/18/08 12:58 p.m.

Congrats on having a cool cousin.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/18/08 2:05 p.m.

Awesome! I love people who truly enjoy the cars they buy and shares them with other people.

Had a family friend call me up to ask for help in getting his Ferrari through the emissions testing. Since I'd never worked on a Ferrari before I was wondering what he had in mind. Turns out he needed someone to drive the car out to Multnomah Falls and back to get it warmed up enough to get it to pass the test. He couldn't do it since he's weakened by an illness he's on disability for, but he wanted to ride along.

This would require driving up the scenic Columbia Gorge on a sunny weekday afternoon in the spring, at speed, in a Ferrari 328gts.

Instead of taking the Interstate, we took the old Columbia River Highway. Great, twisty road that few people use anymore since the Interstate was built. Dad used to race up and down this highway in his '64 Elan and even raced Hershel McGriff in a "warmed" up version of his race car at the time. http://www.legendsofnascar.com/Hershel_McGriff.htm Great story of David versus Goliath.

The noise from the italian V8 was intoxicating and the owner kept pushing me to shift at higher and higher revs. The gated shifter was a pain in the ass and required you to really want to shift gears, but once warm it wasn't bad.

The best part after the drive? Pulling up in front of work afterwards, parking and getting out while a girl I used to date (and who dumped me because I didn't make enough money for her) walked by and did a double take.

One of the greatest days ever!

Rangeball
Rangeball New Reader
12/18/08 2:12 p.m.
fiat22turbo wrote: The best part after the drive? Pulling up in front of work afterwards, parking and getting out while a girl I used to date (and who dumped me because I didn't make enough money for her) walked by and did a double take. One of the greatest days ever!

That is a great story. Love the ending.

I have to say I do have a great cousin. He truly loves cars as do I. He is heading up to Roebling for a HPDE in the GT3 and I intend to help out over the weekend.

Also, after driving the Porsche, I am now watching the these Porsche threads on the board ever so intently.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/18/08 4:51 p.m.

Isn't the answer always Miata?

benzbaron
benzbaron New Reader
12/18/08 4:59 p.m.

I had a little miata make a run on the Benz today through the twisties so I hit the gas and that guy stayed far back in the rearview mirror. Maybe the guy didn't know how to drive it but he had a roll bar.

Cool car the GT3, they had a GT2 stage 3 at the local mercedes dealer I saw when I was buying 20$ worth of parts. Man those must fly. I don't see why anyone would use one of those as a DD, you probably couldn't even get out of 2nd gear on the freeway without getting a ticket.

Ferrari guy forgot to mention if the car passed. I hate smog, especially smog 2 here in cali.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Reader
12/18/08 6:08 p.m.

I am about to have a religious experience. We are due for 12" of snow tonight and my daily driver is a Miata. The drive to work tomorrow is going to be hell.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/18/08 6:14 p.m.

It didn't, sat in line too long and cooled off. He's since replaced the exhaust and the ten-ton catalytic converter and it passes much better now.

benzbaron
benzbaron New Reader
12/18/08 8:39 p.m.

That sucks, my car doesn't like to pass either! It cost me 300$ every 2 years to get smogged.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1th8mrDE4bpMju29ADwTPGINWG27DceVp2tQ8QAEf9BCzuHuocIGAHxTqULZ7aYD