1 2
Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
12/6/16 8:33 p.m.

We all know of Flyin' Miatas V8 ND and have likely seen the TST one take. https://www.youtube.com/embed/SLONL8ax9CI?list=PL0NpLqqFBFSJmX9clrkdyQwmPl_9tPrPYNow we have another high end V8 swapped weapon to lust after. https://www.youtube.com/embed/SjeKSumjcRA

You've got hard top vs. drop top, Ford vs. Chevy and Mazda vs. Porsche all rolled into one.

Which way are you leaning?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/16 8:38 p.m.

I had to do a fore-aft brake line on a G-body yesterday and a passenger side header gasket on an LT1 B-body today, so I more or less hate everything to do with General Motors at this time. I may even flip off the next person I see wearing a bow tie.

MattW
MattW New Reader
12/6/16 8:39 p.m.

If you gotta swap a Ford into a Porsche, there is something wrong...

Nick (Bo) Comstock
12/6/16 8:41 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

So you're going with the Pord then?

(Don't tell Keith but the Pord sounds better than the Mevy)

dropstep
dropstep Dork
12/6/16 8:53 p.m.

The ford powered one for me, i just love the sound the mod motors make.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
12/6/16 9:19 p.m.

Is it bad if I vote Mazda just because of the tire lettering on the Porsche?

Nick (Bo) Comstock
12/6/16 9:22 p.m.

In reply to Chadeux:

Yes, it's very bad and you should feel bad for it.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/7/16 5:58 a.m.

I've read in great detail the effort Flyin Miata has put into every detail of that swap. For me, it would be the Flyin Miata ND.

Not that I will ever be able to afford either!

The Ford into Porsche thing feels wrong.

Plus, my wife really prefers riding topless.

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
12/7/16 7:10 a.m.

The Cayman video isn't playing for me for some reason, but I'd imagine working on an engine the size of a Coyote in the Cayman chassis is pretty terrible. I'd also guess that the person who buys a Coyote swapped Cayman won't be doing their own work, so they probably don't care.

NickD
NickD Dork
12/7/16 7:28 a.m.

I don't like the Ford Coyote engine because it's such a physically massive bundle of snakes, and I've never subscribed to the Porsche mentality. So I'll go with the Miata. I have a Miata and love it, and I love the LS motor

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
12/7/16 7:34 a.m.

The Pord is all the cake ingredients in the bowl and kinda stirred up. Might be some very fine ingredients, but I bet it feels like a lot of the ingredients are just traveling in close formation.

... lost me at "the hatch don't close", "seat shoved into the steering wheel" and "seat getting hot".

The Miata is a fully baked cake with the frosting on top; made from a well proven recipe.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
12/7/16 7:39 a.m.

I'll take the Ford in a Boxster rather than a Cayman as I like drop tops. I want to like the Miata, but now it's been out a couple of years I just can't get on with the ND. I know it's the best Miata ever in every conceivable way, but I just can't warm to them for completely irrational reasons. It's smaller inside (to me, not necessarily in actual numbers) than my old NA. And as a road car, I prefer the much maligned NC. I know, I know, it makes no sense. Also my paycheck has a blue oval in the corner not a bow tie so I'll go with the Ford not the LSyawn.

penultimeta
penultimeta Reader
12/7/16 8:23 a.m.

Ugh, no thanks on the Pord. Plus, part of the appeal of p-cars is their engineering. By swapping out its heart, you've lost a bit of that. Keith and the team spent a painstaking amount of time making the LS3 powered Miata feel like a factory car. In all likelihood, that's what I would buy even over a z06 should money start falling from the sky.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
12/7/16 8:37 a.m.

How do you use Pord over Forsche?!?!

Nick (Bo) Comstock
12/7/16 9:35 a.m.
Tactical Penguin wrote: How do you use Pord over Forsche?!?!

Because then I would have had to use Chiata and that's just wrong

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
12/7/16 9:55 a.m.

Miata for me.

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/7/16 10:48 a.m.

Can I work some overtime and holidays and just have them both? Please?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/7/16 10:59 a.m.

Porsche.

The Coyote just sounds so much better than the LS, to me that is.

Autolex
Autolex Dork
12/7/16 12:10 p.m.

more HP, less weight, cheaper consumables? seems like a no brainer.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
12/7/16 1:23 p.m.

On one hand if you got the Porsche you could go to the PCA events and just tick everyone off. I like the sound of that. But at the end of the day you are still surrounding yourself with Porsche putzes.

If you get the Miata You get to go to FM's summer camp, and Miata days at laguna seca, and possibly even hang out with Keith, who is somewhere between Steve McQueen and Paul Newman on my "cool car guys I wish I could be like" list.

So the Miata wins based on the people.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/7/16 1:45 p.m.

LS3 in a Miata feels like a big improvement. Especially the way FM has accomplished it.

Ford in a Porsche feels like a big downgrade. Like, "I couldn't find anything better that I could afford, so I stuck this Ford motor in here". Nope.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/7/16 2:05 p.m.

The LS3MX5 is a modern day Cobra, only a better driver in every conceivable way.

A cobra shoehorned into a Cayman is compensating for the fact that even when Porsche finally did stuff the 911 lump into the Cayman, it was just the Carerra's base 3.8L and they only made a couple dozen of them and then they had the audacity to make their racing 911 mid engined. Berkeley them and the horse they rode in on based on the principle of not making their best road car available with their best engines when they're skirting the rules via loopholes to go midengined in their racing cars. I've always loved the 911, my favorite car of all time is a 1984 911 SC/RS, but the model is dead to me now and Porsche as a brand isn't far behind based on this nonsense.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
12/7/16 2:44 p.m.

Forsche!

fireball123
fireball123 Reader
12/7/16 7:05 p.m.
SVreX wrote: I've read in great detail the effort Flyin Miata has put into every detail of that swap. For me, it would be the Flyin Miata ND. Not that I will ever be able to afford either! The Ford into Porsche thing feels wrong. Plus, my wife really prefers riding topless.

Does she now

fireball123
fireball123 Reader
12/7/16 7:07 p.m.

I would go for Miata cus it's lighter and makes more power which means faster

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oWRooSOd00lP6HPfPnEBGrtm77zVtMpHjIVkSzFrCQRLe7lZ59FZleIMNqilO5Ub