1 2 3 ... 7
Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
3/24/18 6:40 p.m.

Edit:. Jump to the end of the thread. Decision made: Small Block Ford, 1995 Mustang engine.

2nd Edit: Plot twist, it's now getting LS Swapped. wink

Ok, I've been slow to get my TR4 project moving forward, but I'm determined again and need to make a key decision.  What engine do I want to put in my 1965 Triumph TR4?

Before any purist spits out the "keep it stock" voice, let it be known that the car already lost its engine and originality under previous ownership.

Here's the goals and criteria:

• MUST not cut up the stock hood (bonnet if you're from the UK). The offset power bulge on the bonnet is my favorite design feature of the TR4
  • Weight.  I don't want a boat anchor up front.
  • Power:  225 Horsepower minimum. 300 ponies is more better wink
  • Cutting the fire wall for engine set back is allowed, but not desirable.
  • I'd really like to make V8 noises.
  • cheap, cheap, cheap. Trying to get this car done under Challenge budget.
  • Manual transmission is highly desirable, but not an absolute must.
  • I'm kind of an electrical dumb @ss, so carb or common power plants that I could get some internet help for wiring would be a bonus.

I keep coming back to a Small Block Ford, but I've got Automotive ADHD, so every time I see or hear about other power plants, that's what I want.  Help me get this decision made, commit to a path forward, and start a build thread.

Thanks in advance,

-Indy (can't make up my mind) Guy

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/18 7:23 p.m.

Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag.

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy SuperDork
3/24/18 7:31 p.m.

In reply to EvanB :

Yes, I was heading that direction, but singleslammer left me "high & dry"  That's what brought me to this thread.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/24/18 8:14 p.m.

5.0 Ford.  Seems to be a "common" swap.  Looks like it fits pretty well in the engine compartment. Makes good power for the size of the car.  Still cheap as dirt. Make the plan and stick with it.  Make a list, stick it on the car and start.  

Oh look!  A Rover v8!

(Sorry...)

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
3/24/18 8:17 p.m.

I agree with the low hanging fruit 302 option. Multiple manual trans options too. 

smokindav
smokindav Reader
3/24/18 8:18 p.m.

LS1. Derp. Moving on

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
3/24/18 8:30 p.m.

Ported Mazda 13b, make brap brap noises?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/24/18 8:35 p.m.

Turbo Saturn LLO T5

3/24/18 8:38 p.m.

In reply to noddaz & Dylan C:

Seems to be the logical choice.

Ooh look LS1, Rotary.... I'm easily distracted

3/24/18 8:39 p.m.

LS1 is a stretch to get under challenge budget, and rotary is too wide I believe.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
3/24/18 8:51 p.m.

Buick 3800 and t5 from an fbody? 

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/24/18 9:00 p.m.

Look into the Isuzu V6 from the last troopers/Rodeos.  It is fuel injection, but a stout, aluminum mill that takes easy GM T-5s like out of Camaros, etc. The 3.5 might get 225 hp, the 3.2 is 200. It sounds weird, but these are mangy in the Pull-a-Parts. I want one. There was a GRM thread a while back. I was skeptical at first, too. I'll see if I can dig up links.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
3/24/18 9:26 p.m.

Came to say 1uzfe. I did my swap for less than $1,250. I know, I’m a broken record. But I can’t find an easier way to that much power, mpg, and reliability. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/24/18 9:32 p.m.

I have an extra 1.6l Miata and 5speed in the garage. You'd need a healthy turbo to hit your goals, but it'd be cheap!!

3/24/18 9:49 p.m.
Stampie said:

Turbo Saturn LLO T5

I thought this was the combo you were putting in your bimmer 2002?

I'm going to need some more information on this.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/24/18 10:40 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Barely Functional-Guy :

Don't blame me for that!

JFX001
JFX001 UberDork
3/24/18 10:50 p.m.

Another vote here for the 302...or just go old school with a 327. ;)

Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
3/24/18 10:57 p.m.

If you use a 5.0 Ford V8 with aluminum heads and manifold coupled to a T5 transmission the car will actually weigh less than it does with the stock TR4 engine. It's been years since a friend did it but the car was something like 50-75lbs lighter. 

Many 4 cylinder turbo motors end up within 50lbs of a V8.

Overhead / quad cam V6 & V8s are aslo heavier than people think. Same goes for aluminum blocks.

You could use the BOR V8 as it's at least British. Granted getting more than 200-225 would require some serious work.

With all that said there really is no wrong answer. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/24/18 11:08 p.m.

Yeah, for a challenge build, I would be looking at the Ford 5.0l, the GM 3400/3800 Camaro motor and trans, or the ecotec 4 cylinder with all the rwd parts. The Jaguar motor that we talked about is probably heavier than an iron block LS in running trim. Plus it is LONG.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/25/18 12:44 a.m.

Stick with the I6. perhaps an S52 from the E36m3?

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
3/25/18 6:29 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Barely Functional-Guy :

You really should buy the Jag. But how to do it under   Your budget ,  

go to copart or the other wrecking. Yard auction site and buy a whole Jag.  Take your engine , computer, gauges and wiring out, sell any decent parts off it on EBay or Facebook etc.  sell the remains for scrap recover most or all of your initial purchase price. 

Hint: really smashed up ones were running before the accident. And don’t usually sell for much wrecked. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
3/25/18 7:03 a.m.

I came here to say SBF, but mine would be a 289 in Shelby spec.  But, the Lexus V8 or in-line 6 would be my backups.  

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
3/25/18 7:06 a.m.

I'd say Rover V8, but you aren't going to get that done under challenge budget.  Engine itself is cheap.  I'd give you a Buick/Olds version for free.  Its everything that bolts to the engine that gets expensive and is very difficult to find.  Only way you could make it work on a budget would be to find a rusted out Land Rover and swap the entire driveline; engine, auto trans, and whatever goes along with the 4 wheel drive system.  Maybe you get lucky and find a manual trans version, but that may be just as hard as finding a manual trans XJ6.  I've seen exactly 2 of each.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/25/18 7:26 a.m.
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy said:
Stampie said:

Turbo Saturn LLO T5

I thought this was the combo you were putting in your bimmer 2002?

I'm going to need some more information on this.

Another engine came up for the BMW. Still want to do it but needed space so I sold the Saturn last week.  I did buy the 1/4 inch steel to make the adapter.  I'm thinking you're going to have to carry the torch. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/25/18 8:51 a.m.

SBF is the "easy button" here, but there are many options...

1 2 3 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
068pSVUMtYIw8mkVihUDaoEIQJvWUYPKtCEZmutGMdW7vEdtXA3WrOf7U7lOcMpX