1 ... 3 4 5 6 7
Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
1/24/19 1:21 p.m.

215 raging up in a 1900 pound car = bloodie fast, and 30 to 35 mph on the highway, my vote ecotec

I can give you my recipe for my 200+ hp 2.2 ecotec engine.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
1/27/19 11:51 a.m.

You should have a look at this conversion - extensive work (split a TR-3 in half and widened it) with a Nissan 240SX engine.

http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Triumph-TR3-Plus-4.htm

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
1/27/19 12:01 p.m.

Can I change my answer to "snotty street-ported 13b"?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
1/27/19 12:44 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:

In reply to Robbie :

Will do, but I got to get it home first..... that is, if it actually happens.  Seller is getting a bit flaky.  With the absence of the huge storm that was predicted (we were supposed to get 8" only got about 1")  I called the seller to see If I could arrange to go grab it today..... No go on his end.... aaaaannnnnd now all of a sudden he wants a $400 deposit (I was willing to do a $100).  I asked if he would give me a call to talk specifics (negotiations always go better talking on the phone vs. text) and I have yet to here from him.

Below is a pic of the car in all its (cough) glory:

Good news and bad news.

Good: my sense for people is tuned in pretty good, I suspected something was off with the seller. And yes, he totally flaked out on me.

Bad: the car isn't coming home to me.

Any one have a 5.0 & transmission to sell?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
1/27/19 12:48 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) & wspohn &Alfaromoguy:

Thanks for the input, but I'm pretty certain at this point it's getting a small block Ford.  The more I thought about it, the more I really want V8 noises.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/27/19 1:04 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Q45s have quad cam V8 noises. It's a step above your normal V8 noises.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
1/27/19 1:07 p.m.

Just realized this thread needs more pics.

Here's the car in question with Indy-kids & Indy-Grampa:

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
1/27/19 1:08 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Will it fit without cutting the hood (bonnet)?

Stampie
1/27/19 1:09 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Someone looks left out.

Stampie
1/27/19 1:10 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:
Stampie said:

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Will it fit without cutting the hood (bonnet)?

I'd say sure just so you'd do it but honestly I have no idea.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
1/27/19 1:21 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Someone looks left out.

Yep. Car seat wouldn't fit. wink

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
1/27/19 1:25 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I have, more than once, considered putting a Saturn LLO backed up by a T-5 in there, but alas, you haven't shown me how it is donecrying

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/27/19 1:34 p.m.

3.4 camaro. Should be cheap. Nobody wants them.

Put 3500 heads and intake on it, set of headers, and microsquirt. 

Do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
1/27/19 6:09 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

That makes a lot of sense financially, but my lack of electrical / Microsquirt skills would likely doom the project to never see completion.  That is, unless I had a team mate who offered to do that portion of the build wink

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
1/27/19 8:05 p.m.

Stick with a pushrod American lump. Packaging will be far easier than anything vee shaped and OHC. Center of gravity lower too, that is why we have not seen an OHC Corvette since C4 ZR1. This is even more important on your project which will be only about 2200 pounds with a SBF or SBC. I still prefer the Ford in this application.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
2/5/19 9:01 p.m.

Plot Twist.

I just bought a 2003 GMC Envoy for $350.  It has 228k miles on the clock.  Engine runs rough (needs coils or injectors?) but it DOES run.  No internal knocking or ticking.   This should be the all aluminum 5.3 liter.

So it looks like it's getting LS swapped.  Paging Patrick to the white courtesy phone.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/5/19 9:17 p.m.

Yowza!

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
2/5/19 9:40 p.m.

Wow! LS parts are CHEAP.  check out these block hugger headers on flea-bay ($62.88).  Used SBC headers go for about the same or more used.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
2/6/19 6:50 a.m.

A buddy from work and I are going tonight after work to (hopefully) drive it home.  Stay tuned....

Stampie
2/6/19 7:08 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

So do you do the burn out in the seller's driveway because you have cojones and know it'll make it or do you wait until you get home because you're a wuss that's afraid to break it?

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/6/19 7:46 a.m.

If you want to put eyes and ears on a carb'd and cam'd LS running on a simple MSD box, let me know. It is a stupid clean setup running in a buddy's Nova. He was at my PRI shin-dig, I can make arrangements to show it off for inspiration. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
2/6/19 10:40 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

It's about 13 miles from my home.  I'm a wuss, so the burn out will have to wait until I get it closer to home.

In reply to gumby :

Thanks for the offer.  I may take you up on that.  The electronics and higher pressure of the Fuel Injection are intimidating (given my current skill set).  I need to formulate a solid plan that ensure both a path to completion and a car I want to own after it's built.  I don't want this to die in project purgatory.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
2/6/19 5:05 p.m.

Got it home safely. Spooky ride. Died twice on me. Temp gauge never budged. Smells of raw fuel and is definitely NOT running on eight cylinders right now.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
2/6/19 5:52 p.m.

Mostly running aluminum LS for free (scrap body should cover purchase price)!

Awesome!

What transmission

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
2/6/19 6:35 p.m.

In reply to RossD:

I've been watching Craigslist for about two years (off and on) to find this deal. Finally came through.

It's four wheel drive, so I suspect it has a 4L60E auto. The transmission actually seemed to shift pretty good.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KWcqnzxv1kIk5n8GVW5saeDy0XY8ou2zkv9ohnqVI292MsivZ0PTPHNcyWvOmRIU